• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Intrusive Thoughts Help.

O

Ozzydo

Hi all

I suffer from Depression, anxiety and OCD. Currently i'm really struggling with my OCD Intrusive thoughts and they are completely taking over my life, mainly thinking i'm in trouble and people are planning to get me in to trouble.
No matter what i do i cant seem to stop thinking about it, i have even gone to the extreme of calling the police to see if i'm in trouble but this still is not putting my mind to rest. I have totally run out of ideas and the thoughts feel so real.
Can anyone relate to this or offer any advice.
Its completely ruining my life and happiness.

Thanks

L

LokiPokey75

Hi Ozzydo!

I feel for ya, Ozz! 😣 I suffer from OCD so I have a good idea of what you're going through. When I was 16, I was diagnosed with Pure O, which is just the thoughts, no compulsions. I used to fear that I would hurt my mother. It wasn't good.

But I've learned a lot from that time. Here's a few things I recommend you do.

1.) Identify the fear.

You think people are going to get you in trouble? Why? What do you think you're going to do? Realizing what you're most afraid of is going to be the first step to conquering your fears. But it takes a deep analysis to find the source, not just surface level fears.

2.) Accept the thought.

Let the the thought be there. Remember, thoughts are neutral. They are not bad things in of themselves. You can allow them to remain in your head without judging them or yourself. The better you get at leaving them alone, the easier it will be to not engage with the thought so that it hurts you. Think of The Beatles and "Let it Be."

3.) Remove the fear from the thought.

The thought and the fear are two separate things. You're not afraid of the thought. You're afraid of the fear of the thought and what that says about you. Does thinking this thought mean you're a bad person? No. It means you're afraid and you need to take the fear out of the equation.

4.) Move through the thought.

Once you've removed the fear, you'll be able to move through it because you've already addressed the problem. If you don't remove the fear, you won't be able to move forward. You'll get struck trying to move a rock. The rock (fear) needs to get out of the way before you can move on.

5.) Integrate all these steps.

Once you get good at this process, you'll be able to move through it like clockwork. You'll recognize what's bothering you, let it pass, and learn from it in quicker succession. You'll also find that other aspects of your life will improve such as focus and concentration, memory, and even empathy. It takes a long time to get here, but it's worth the effort.

Ozzydo, I know this is a lot of information. I don't want to overwhelm you. To be honest, before you do any of this, I would first recommend seeking therapy. I've been seeing a therapist for over a year and it's helped me so much to find myself. I had to choose to want help, but I'm glad I did.

When you're ready to do this, I believe you'll be able to. I wish you all the best in improving your quality of life and overcoming your fears.

Good luck and stay safe!

Lizaje

Lizaje

Yeah, I use to have that. I would make all these possible scenarios in my head. Thought everyone's conspiring against me. On some level I knew that I'm way out there, but the fear was massive.

I don't remember what happened then. I guess the thought just passed... That's how they are with me and maybe with everyone. Something comes along and replaces the last one.

Have you tried medication and counselling or therapy? For right now, you could try writing about it if you want. Either here or just to yourself. Just write everything on paper. Or you could talk with someone you trust.

Lizaje

Lizaje

Now that I read a bit of the other reply here which I won't finish reading because it's triggering, there was possibly a reason for that particular intrusive thought for me. Basically all the scenarios in my head were leading to just one thing. There was just one thing I was really afraid of and that was it. It was all. And I won't say what it is because I'm still terrified and it can't even be a trauma because it never happened to me but I'm scared to death. 😭

I don't have that intrusive thought anymore.. I mean the scenario making and fearing a conspiracy.... At least not much... Maybe a little sometimes. I should talk about that fear during my appointments but I don't it's too difficult.