• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

For more features and forums

Intrusive racist thoughts

R

Rutabaga9876

I have been having issues with intrusive thoughts of a racist nature. The other day I was calling out to someone for my job and just out of the blue, had a racist thought about the person. The first thing I thought was "why did I just think that?" The second thought was "did I say that out loud and the guy is just too polite to say anything?" After confirming in my mind that I didn't say it, my thought came back to "no, really, why did I think that?"

Now, all I can think about is that I had this though and differnet variations on it. It has been weighing on my mind and I cannot shake the thought. Doing Google searches on intrusive thoughts, It sounds like this is a symptom of OCD (I've never been officially diagnosed with it or anxiety, but its clear I have the latter and very likely I have the former). These are clearly not thought that I want to have. I feel like I need to talk to someone about this, but feel as if this is not something I can talk about with my friends or even my family, especially with the state of the country right now. I am trying to find a therapist for OCD, but not sure when that could be.

Ramson mash

Ramson mash

When you try not to think of something GUESS WHAT? Your gunna think about it more.
Can you detach your 'self' from your thoughts? Or not take them seriously. Like for example, i just said something in my head which is utterly disgraceful, but it has no bearing on me whatsoever. Maybe you can practice and make fun of your thoughts.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
one therapist said the mind is like a coiled spring you press on it it presses back maybe i have been having racist thoughts i think of the floyd case and keep thinking how many mentally ill people have been killed by the police and feel i've suffered police bigotry which isn't seen as an issue, some might say that verges on racist, anyway the whole thing makes me feel uncomfortable

mischief

mischief

Admin
I feel like I need to talk to someone about this, but feel as if this is not something I can talk about with my friends or even my family, especially with the state of the country right now. I am trying to find a therapist for OCD, but not sure when that could be.
Hi Rutabaga9876

I suspect you're experiencing an anxiety issue that a lot of people are at the moment.

This web page might help you find a direction forward:

This page could help as well, as it really gets down to the basics of what is happening:

Good luck with tackling it. It's hard work doing so, but the benefits you'll see will be great.

mischief

mischief

Admin
i think of the floyd case and keep thinking how many mentally ill people have been killed by the police and feel i've suffered police bigotry which isn't seen as an issue.
I think the inequalities faced by people with mental health difficulties are very similar to those faced by people from ethnic minority groups.

This article outlines some of these inequalities:

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
i said to some careline telephone counciller it's similar to been gay or black he said it's different you've got an illness, if anything my illness makes me more sensitive to social things,making it worse. it's pc people like him that make me resentful and thinking ,black people have it better though i have no real evidence other than the attitude of those white liberal middle class social worker types

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
my unemployment group want to make a donation to black lives matter, i think we're short of money and the money should be concentrayed on other things, however they're all far left, best to keep my mouth buttoned don't want to be pushed out, remind myself i'm vulnerable, resent it but best not risk that racist word

J

juju94

I have been having issues with intrusive thoughts of a racist nature. The other day I was calling out to someone for my job and just out of the blue, had a racist thought about the person. The first thing I thought was "why did I just think that?" The second thought was "did I say that out loud and the guy is just too polite to say anything?" After confirming in my mind that I didn't say it, my thought came back to "no, really, why did I think that?"

Now, all I can think about is that I had this though and differnet variations on it. It has been weighing on my mind and I cannot shake the thought. Doing Google searches on intrusive thoughts, It sounds like this is a symptom of OCD (I've never been officially diagnosed with it or anxiety, but its clear I have the latter and very likely I have the former). These are clearly not thought that I want to have. I feel like I need to talk to someone about this, but feel as if this is not something I can talk about with my friends or even my family, especially with the state of the country right now. I am trying to find a therapist for OCD, but not sure when that could be.
This happens to me all the time. Just let it pass, it’s just an intrusive thought trying to upset you.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
my view is things you cast out come back to haunt you which is why i'd rather not make a big issue of anything

S

Sarabi_Gyarados

Having a thought doesn't make you racist. In fact, with OCD the thoughts are often intrusive, we think things we don't want to think, that's what makes them unpleasant. It could be heightened anxiety or fear around what's going on in America right now manifesting as thoughts.