• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Intrusive Pure O

J

Jellyfish19

How do y’all deal with intrusive thoughts? I was watching a show and they brought of eating disorders and i started overthinking if i had that and now i feel anxious and i am trying my best to not give that thought power. Many of my thoughts are what if I have that or what if I am that. Realistically I am not how do i connect more with the reality. I love food and sometimes I overthink when I eat but I am trying to stay postive I will over come this cause i always so but any advice?

B

Bod

Former member
One of my mental health issues is sadly Intrusive Thoughts and they use to scare me a lot, then I found out they are only thoughts so they can not hurt us at all so we do not act on them. They will pass in time so try not to worry to much when you get them.

Q

Quietly Invisible

I have a book called "Peace from Nervous Suffering" by Dr. Claire Weeks. I remembered she had something in there about intrusive or obsessive thoughts. So, in the book she says suggestibility and the confusion it brings leads to a loss of confidence. (I guess we're not confident that we don't have it and any similar symptoms convinces us we have it or may get it).

She also has a book called "Hope and Help for Your Nerves". I have anxiety (they used to say "bad nerves" in the olden days). This book helped me understand so much about the disorder that made me feel normal and reasons for some of the effects I have. For example, in my 20s and 30s, I was very sensitive to medications. If I took an adult dose, I had "overdose" effects. I have a sensitive nervous system and it's all connected. I find it interesting.

B

BlueWater

I feel like my mind is a hamster on a wheel. It just doesn't stop going. When I have something to do that thoroughly occupies my mind as in difficult work or a difficult hobby then there's no room for intrusive thoughts at least for as long as I'm doing that task. I use any distraction possible when thoughts I don't like begin to invade. But I couldn't do any of this without medicine. I don't really deal with the "Am I that?" type of intrusive thoughts. They come and go sometimes but they're fleeting. My thoughts often involve replaying scenarios where I wish I would've done something differently, which I guess is an obsession with wanting to change the past which can't be changed.