Intrusive images and physical sensations

A

Acceptablecompany0

I have Generalised Anxiety Disorder and OCD which I find mostly manageable (after a load of therapy and beta blockers).
However, sometimes when I get really, really stressed or even for no reason, I get an intrusive image that also comes with a sensory experience, which I find really distressing.

For example- I'll suddenly get a violent image in my head (it's just sort of on it's own, I'm not doing it, or anyone else), and it comes with a pain like feeling that it's actually happening. This then causes me physical anxiety (tense muscles, headaches etc.).

I don't have the usual OCD thoughts that come with the above, such as worrying the violent thing is going to happen etc. I know it's not going to happen.

Does anyone else have a similar experience to this and if so, how do you deal with it?

(I'm a 30 year old female)

Last edited by a moderator:
Cpt_Stunning

Cpt_Stunning

It's all because lack of fresh oxygen in your brain nothing else, obviously oxygen goes into your lungs firstly, then mostly goes into your heart/kidneys, brain doesn't get much, if you feel anxious you tense up so even less goes into the brain hence the disturbing thoughts, try something like tai chi. Don't worry too much, these terrible thoughts can & do go away. Tense muscles, headaches are all because of the lack of oxygen, try long walks in the countryside.

Cpt_Stunning

Cpt_Stunning

It does seem like anxiety, you don't need to see someone/take meds, what you need to do is to learn breathing techniques, tai chi is good apparently but I've never tried it.

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
I'm a full blown voice hearer and also get violent images popping into my head from time to time, myself or people being hurt and I used to get physical pain aswell before I got anti-psychotics which took away the pain and made the images weaker.

Thankfully I know exactly where they're coming from and can ignore them quite happily.

T

Tomorrows a new day

You're having a very high fear response and your brain is trying to make sense of it. The image it's providing is justifying why you are scared, try to let the image come and go without focusing on it, then your response will calm down

A

Acceptablecompany0

Thanks for your replies, you've been so helpful. I'm gonna look into breathing exercises. I never liked yoga, but maybe I should try it again.

A

Acceptablecompany0

You're having a very high fear response and your brain is trying to make sense of it. The image it's providing is justifying why you are scared, try to let the image come and go without focusing on it, then your response will calm down
Thank you, that does seem to make sense that this is very high anxiety.

Cpt_Stunning

Cpt_Stunning

Yoga may have originated from India, Tai Chi from China, these Eastern cultures are obviously onto something.

A

Acceptablecompany0

I'm a full blown voice hearer and also get violent images popping into my head from time to time, myself or people being hurt and I used to get physical pain aswell before I got anti-psychotics which took away the pain and made the images weaker.

Thankfully I know exactly where they're coming from and can ignore them quite happily.
Thanks for your reply, do you take anti-psychotics just for OCD? Just wondering if they'd be helpful for me.

Cpt_Stunning

Cpt_Stunning

Anxiety is distressing but it's not something you have to live with, these images can & do go away, it does take patience though, it's not just China & India, Japan culture with Karate South Korea with Taekwondo, maybe it's something about reducing anxiety that we should learn from.

T

Tomorrows a new day

Anxiety attacks the chest and restricts breathing, that's why breathing therapies like Yoga help you to relax and breathe deeply. I go swimming to achieve the same result

A

Acceptablecompany0

Thanks, I do aerobic exercise which helps a lot, I'd be so much worse without it, but I should probably add breathing and yoga or something because maybe that's the missing ingredient.

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
My doctor hasn't given me a diagnosis of OCD or Schizophrenia, I just get medication for psychosis that I had 3 years ago but might come back so I continue to take anti-psychotics.

They don't stop the voice I hear but reduce his volume by around 95%, they weaken the images he puts in my mind and stop the physical sensations and pain.