Intrusive and constant thoughts.

A

Anxietyguy29

Hello Everyone, this is my first post here. My names Josh. I am 29 years old and have recently started experiencing anxiety after a dizzy spell at work. Not sure if the anxiety caused this or that caused the anxiety lol. Anyway this took place about a month ago and the anxiety has gotten better but is still an every day, almost all day thing. This leads me to the intrusive and constant thoughts. Ever since my anxiety has started all my mind can think about is what if I get so bad that I want to hurt/kill myself or what if I want to hurt someone I love. Or just constant thoughts about suicide but not actually suicidal. Like that's just all my mind seems to get fixed on. Like I'm mindful that I would never want to hurt myself or someone I love and I don't want to have these thoughts in the first place. It terrifies me! Anyway I guess I was just seeing if anyone else has had this experience and if so what they did to help.

L

Lockpon

First, I wanna say try not to beat yourself up too much over those thoughts. The fact that you said "it terrifies me" shows you know hurting someone you love is wrong and that suicide isn't a pleasant thought to you. It's good you don't think of these things as good and you're not an evil person for having thoughts you can't help.

Intrusive thoughts can really be the worst. The only advice I can give is that, when I'm at home, snapping my wrist with a rubber band or punching a pillow can be a good way I find to relieve the stress the thoughts have caused and distract me from them. Irl, it's a bit harder, because the thoughts make me visibly cringe which can get a few odd looks from people. What I try to do, after the thought has passed, is to focus on something in the room - like a clock - and have a train of thought about that something. So, if I look at a clock and see it's 3pm, I might think "hmm.. supper will be in a few hours, what can I eat? Maybe I could make this, or that, or..." Etc. I find trains of thought like that can helpfully distract me so I don't dwell on the intrusive thought so much.

Maybe these ideas could be of some use to you too.

A

Anxietyguy29

Hi lockpon, thanks for the response. I really appreciate it. I will most definitely try some of those techniques. I used to be into weight lifting and I'm thinking of trying that again to help distract me. I really appreciate the advice, I do feel so much better talking to others and listening to their experiences.

L

Leedlelee

I'm dealing with some thoughts right now myself. Deliberate or intrusive, they're pretty bad, but I won't go into detail if you don't want me to -- I wanna help you out. :hug1:

Thoughts of any kind don't really mean anything -- as in, just because you think something terrible, doesn't mean you automatically approve of it, or want to do anything wrong. If you think 'I believe pink elephants are real', chances are you still don't actually believe pink elephants are out there walking the earth somewhere. Well, apply that to the bad stuff you're thinking. If you know you don't approve of it, and it scares you -- chaaaaances are that thought might be bad, but it means literally nothing in terms of who you actually are and what you stand for and what you want to do. They're meaningless. Scary little blips in your head that are trying to make you feel guilty about things that you don't actually need to worry about because you don't even approve of whatever you're thinking in the first place.

And if you do feel scared or guilty, hey, that's okay -- it's a sign that your morality is still on track. You want to do good, you want to avoid the bad. It's confirmation that you're not gonna act on or agree with anything going through your head. But the key is not to let it overwhelm you, and you don't have to be scared at all to know the difference between right and wrong -- so if you're not scared by them anymore either, that's okay too.

Just remember you want to do good, okay? As long as you have that in mind, you'll be alright.

A

Anxietyguy29

Thanks leedlelee I really appreciate the reply! And I've been reassuring myself of exactly what you said. Its just hard sometimes and I know it will get better😊 and I don't care if you go into detail because I want to help others on here as well!