Introduction

D

don_quixote

Hi all,
My name is Adam. My mental health track record isn't the best. I have been hospitalized around 10 times. After my last hospital visit my psychiatrist referred me to intensive out patient group therapy. I was court ordered to attend 6 hours a day 5 days a week for 5 months. The program emphasized not medicine, but "thought therapy." Or changing behaviors by identifying thoughts that trigger those behaviors. During my stay I was able to meet many people like myself, we became somewhat of a family because many would share stories, thoughts, behaviors, which they couldn't otherwise with their family. My family is very understanding of my disorder.
However, after I graduated from the program I am feeling somewhat isolated, since I am not in contact or have friends who suffer from a mental illness. I understand that we, as patients suffering from a mental affliction, can form relationships with those who are stable. However, I would like to start networking with people in my area who suffer from severe psychiatric disorders, maybe severe is not the right word...
Great site! Maybe the moderator could start up a chat room.
Adam

D

don_quixote

Cool

Thanks buddy. Great site!
To better health,
Adam

rhee8974

rhee8974

Hey Adam, welcome!
I too am looking to connect w/ ppl who r afflicted as well. I have a wonderful partner who tries his best to understand & is very supportive. But he can't fully understand me, which sometimes makes it frustrating.
If u don't mind me asking - what do u have?

msyp721

msyp721

Hello,
I just started on here due to downloading the app on my phone. I am like you Adam in that I am seeking to find people that can truly understand. As amazing as my spouse is with helping me and being understanding, I think there is always going to be something missing that only others that deal with mental issues can understand.
I'm near Cleveland.
-Mark