• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Introduce yourself!

R

riverofdragons

Ok, I will start - most unlike me as I am usually very shy..lol

I'm 26 and have been living in and around Cambridge for about 7 years.

I have had depression (mixed with a few more unusual symptoms) for nearly 14 years now, so I have some idea of the kind of problems out there. I dont claim to know everything because i most certainly dont, but i can empathise.

I recently quit my job working for a charity in the area. I needed a change of pace and to meet new people. So i have started University, an exciting but terrifying adventure.

I am always looking to make new friends, and like to think I am reliable and trustworthy - perhaps some of you who know me will agree? (i hope..hehe)

um....er....eek....anything else I should say?

River:grouphug:

Last edited:
B

bluetenrec

hello

hello it is me, a quiet, shy person til i know people well then i can be a little noisy! :dance:

i live in Cambridge, have done for nearly 3 years. I don't quite know when exactly i started to have difficulties in the mental health department, but somewhere around 8-15 years ago, and i am 23 now.

My diagnosises (?) haven't been simple. :confused: The latest (& hopefully final) is Bipolar with features of BPD.

Don't really know what else to say. :(

Bye

M

Marwood

Hey all,

Been in Cambridge now since 96, with with a brief gap while I found out how cold and wet Rotherham can be.

Diagnosis that keeps stepping around, and you have to love the meds and psych depts passing the buck back and forth for year after year.

Right now getting back to work and tryign to over come that huge gap in my work history. Finding that sayign I was "researching and writing my novel" ends that topic fast as nobody will ask too many questions as that avoids me then coming out with "well you can read it if you want"...

A

Amor's_Tears

Hi, I'm Robert. I live in supported accommodation in central Cambridge. I've lived there for 2 years. Before then, I was living with my parents, also in the same sort of area. I've known Cambridge all my life.

I first started suffering from depression and panic attacks when I was 16 - I think because I couldn't cope with leaving school. A year later, the doctors "discovered" that I have Asperger's Syndrome (a form of autism) which kind of explained why I was finding life so difficult to adapt to. However, I've never really sorted myself out - one problem leads to another. I still have big problems with depression and anxiety.

Thats me lol!:p

R

riverofdragons

welcome all!

J

jamesdean

Hi I noticed that you come from or live in cambridge Do you know I came to cambridge once to meet up with someone but only stayed the night n got my coach back first thing in the morning anyway it was such an awful meeting I couldnt wait to get away which is a real shame because it looked so beautiful a place this was in 1990 and I guess I should come back it wasnt a short journey by coach from birmingham I guess we all do crazy things sometimes take care James
ps I hope you didnt mind me sharing that with you

Halo

Halo

Hello From Suffolk

Hello

I was wondering if anyone knows of any drop in centres in and around lowestoft or gt yarmouth.

I could really do with getting out of the house and chatting to real peopl.

:)

K

Kenneth Atkin Trust

Hi

Hi
My name's Anna and I am co-founder of the Kenneth Atkin Trust in the Cambridge area. We aim to support men in talking about any issues which may be causing them emotional distress and aim to support and advise them through these issues. This does not have to be those who have been diagnosed with a mental illness, although we feel that it could help those who have. KAT sees sufferers and non-sufferers as equals and hope that this will give an open perspective on any issues that people feel are important. The focus is bery much on maintaining an open atmosphere and not pigeon-holing those diagnosed with a mental health issue together. I personally do not feel this is helpful to an individual as, as the Time to change scheme is now introducing, mental illness should be a topic that anyone can discuss with anyone else!
I look forward to hearing your thoughts. Please visit our website for more information www.kennethatkintrust.110mb.com We need volunteers for fundraising, etc. so please get in touch.

fenman

fenman

Hello, I'm Fenman

I eventually gravitated to the Cambridge area from an early life in the glorious Fens and I've been here 25 years.

My particular interest is in bipolar disorder (manic depression) which I have had for nearly forty years. I'm a member of the local support group.

At the moment I'm also very interested in the 'recovery' concept and in the anti-stigma campaigns.

When I'm not doing mental health stuff I am crazy about early music.

B

Befals

Hi I'm new from Cambridgeshire, studying at ARU and suffer from SA.

F

Fruit Loop

Hello,

I do not live in Cambridge but about 30 mins away in Suffolk. This is the local forum for me at the moment.

I can be quiet and shy, have been for most of my life. If you take the time to get to know me you would say otherwise. I have suffered with depression for a long while just did not know? too scared to ask? But recent events hit home hard and have finally started to get some help.

I am at that point in life where I feel like a career change. Not a change of employer but a whole new direction. I intend to take up a course in Sept to help with opening up new opportunities.

I would like to increase my circle of friends who understand life as seen through the eyes of a sufferer. I am keen to start enjoying life once more and broadening my knowledge of this illness and if I can help others that is a bonus.

I am now wondering if I had wobbled on too much? or not enough? :unsure:

Feel free to contact me via the forum and my postings or private message.

:grouphug: to all on here!

L

Lady_Loop

Hi ,

I Am 30 and have had MH problems since i was about 15 and been in and out of the Cambridge services since then with various diagnosis over the years...but most current (and hopefully final!) Dx is BPD. I am on various meds and under a pdoc and tdoc and have good days and bad (which I am sure most can relate too!)

I am married with 2 children who are 8 and 7 and are my shining lights and keep me going when I don't think I can.

I am looking forward to chatting to other people in the same 'boat' and finding out about services and stuff available in the area

loops

A

Allyke

Hey, never noticed the Cambridge forum before :) Technically, I live in Scotland, but I study in Cambridge (although i'm studying abroad at the moment as part of my course, will be back next year though).
Not currently diagnosed, I was in the process, my GP was going to refer me for an assessment for cyclothymia/bipolar, but unfortunately there wasn't time before I moved abroad. Looking forward to chatting to people about the services though, particularly the university ones as i think i'll probably have to chase this up when i get back, hopefully not before :)
Take care everyone xx

R

Roger Waldram

Hi, just noticed this sort of local forum for me-I live in South Lincolnshire. I've introduced myself fully in the main 'Introduce Yourself' thread so won't repeat. Briefly I was diagnosed with schizophrenia in my early 20's-'treated' with ECT & Largactil, now in my 60's with doctorate in psychotherapy practice & been OK without drugs since then. (Looked at the experience of 'madness' & spiritual experience & the implications for humanistic psychotherapy practice)

I remember reading some stuff about about how good community groups could be-no diagnoses or divisions-just sharing activities together, say walking or walking by the river, photography, meeting for a chat, reading group (agree to read a book or my thesis (!) only kidding-could be anything really. Just wonder whether anyone might be interested?

C

cfb107

I used to live in Cambridge - for 7 years until 18 months ago - and miss it greatly. Lovely lovely city. Also the MH treatment there was excellent (in comparison to round here, anyway :D).