• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Intervoice forum - creating a safe oasis for all

P

pinkmetalgirl

Hey :)

One thing I've noticed about being part of the forum so far is how members is how helpful it can be for members to support one another. When you're feeling isolated and/or confused - there are few better things that to be able to talk to someone who has been there too and get some empathy, guidance or support.

The other thing I've noticed is that, as in the non-computer world, as well as being supportive - the posts on here can hurt (both individual members and the forum as a whole). Whilst debate is good, when things cross the line and get personal/attacky the whole forum feels unsafe. Apart from being distressing for those involved - it sends out a really bad message to those thinking about joining/posting here.

So, I figured it might be a good idea for us all to go back to basics. I know there's a list of groundrules for this forum (which i agree with), but maybe it'd help if we all thought about what we'd like this forum to be like, how we'd like new members to feel and how we can treat one another to help this happen.

As i've said elsewhere - i think this forum is a wonderful opportunity for everyone who hears voices (however they make sense of them), and those supporting them. It has the potential to be an oasis. The one place we know that our experiences and views will be respected (if not always agreed with). There are little enough spaces like this out there in the non-computer world - so (personally) I think it'd be great if we could create such a place here.

Once we've got this place feeling a bit more safe and supportive for all, maybe we'll get more people joining up and posting. That'll benefit us all :D

P

pinkmetalgirl

OK. Just to start this off ... here are a few of my thoughts

I'd like the Intervoice forum to be:

A safe place, where I feel respected and supported (and respect and support others too).

A place where respectful discussion and debate is encouraged. I enjoy learning from others experiences and there are so many ways of seeing the world that the range of persectives here can be a real strength.

Somewhere people can be disagreed with, but not attacked

A place where the members value the safety of the forum and look after one another (and the health of the forum as a whole)

A place where someone who understands their voices as trauma-related can chat with someone who understands their voices as spirits and someone who understands them as symptoms of an illness.

Somewhere I learn new things about living with, and understanding, voices/visions

Somewhere that everyone is helped to feel welcome (whether they hear voices or not, providing that they are - in their turn - respectful to other members too)

Somewhere that feels safe enough that when people do disagree, argue or be nasty to one another - the forum as a whole helps things to get back on track.

Somewhere someone new to the forum would browse the threads and feel that it was somewhere that would be accepting and welcoming (which would help them be brave enough to post)

But then, that's just me. What about anyone else? What would you like this forum to be?

P

Paul

Thank you Rai, you are absolutely right. We need to remember we are trying to help each other.

T

ThePayingRoomate

But then, that's just me. What about anyone else? What would you like this forum to be?
I'm guessing strippers and a keg would be an inappropriate addendum. I suppose I'd stick with your list just to avoid any controversy. ;)

P

pinkmetalgirl

..... I don't know ... I'm fond of a bit of real ale myself :D

Real ale and respect/support - that would definitely get my vote ;)

enfantboheme

enfantboheme

These "Hollywood nutter" posts can't possibly be for real, can they?
It's as if someone has read a book about schizophrenia and is writing what they think a schizophrenic would write like. If people really are this chaotic in real-life I'm really surprised they're at their keyboards and not in hospital.

enfantboheme

enfantboheme

from what I can gather from your posts, 1nicebird, it seems that you are...

1 either a liar and pretending to be mad, or
2 you're severely mentally ill.

If you are a liar, and deliberately trying to act mad then you should stop it for the sake of everyone else who gets diagnosed with schizophrenia (whether you think it doesn't exist or not). We suffer because of discrimination, and you're not helping the cause here.

If you are not lying here, in these forums, and you really are this illogical in real life then you should look into getting some kind of treatment.

You will probably dislike me for saying that, but either way, you need help.