• We have just changed our forum software and are still tweaking things. You can log in using your existing user name and password. If you spot any problems please let us know by posting in the Feedback and suggestions section of the forum.

Interviews

S

sunset547544

Unfortunately I have been to quite a few of these. They have always been for a techincal role. I know it's kind of Dragons Den situation asking people to make quite a big financial gamble on me, but still I feel like I am always elimated based on some kind of personal bias on behalf of the interviewers rather than technical merit. I think they just want to give jobs to people who look like them or are pretty, or adhere to some kind of trendy gender/race criteria.

Anyway, it's obviously a massive power trip for them, wasting candidates time and stressing them out. And the amount of hype they give off about themselves/how talented they are and how amazing the company is makes me feel sick.

Sorry wanted to get that out thanks for reading.

Last edited:
S

sunset547544

Thanks Fairy, certain things really get to me sometimes and it's good to write it out here, kind of like expelling a daemon. Hopefully I don't sound like too awful :cry:

S

sunset547544

So, after not hearing anything after the interview for a few days, I sent an email politely asking for some feedback. I got a call this morning and was told they felt my technical skills were good, and I gave intelligent answers, but I came across as very nervous, so that might be a problem when it came to interacting with clients.

This is often what I get told after interviews I get rejected from. I do get nervous and stressed in interviews, I can't help that. But it never feels as bad as they make it out to be from my side. 99% of the time outside of an interview situation, I don't feel nervous. I don't know why people assume I would feel like that when dealing with clients for example. Also, the kind of work I do shouldn't really involve that much interaction with clients/customers as it is quite a technical/back office kind of position.

I don't want to get rejected from another interview for this reason. I still can't help but feel the whole nervous thing is a poor excuse to cover discrimination based on my skin colour/gender/appearance. Any advice about how to move forward? I don't want to give up going to interviews, but every rejection makes it harder to motivate myself the next time.

I have been considering serving them with a discrimination questionnare (Fighting discrimination at job interview | Money | The Guardian) but I know it's a bit of a weak card to play and not really something I want to do, but on the other hand I have had enough.

Last edited: