• Welcome! If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Internet and real life bullying is the same - what is wrong with me?

• Thread starter strawberrywater
  • Start date
S

strawberrywater

ACCOUNT CLOSED
This isn't about anything on this website. The site is very much a safe and positive space.

I'm talking about specifically popular social media. I had to quit it all because it got to be too much. Every single time I post anything - on any social media - I get random replies from people who tell me I'm a "moron" and make fun of me.

I don't understand why I get consistent rude replies. I never have a lot of followers (barely over 100) I don't post anything mean or controversial or too opinionated. Maybe if I write "I didn't like this episode of this show, but hopefully the next one is better" I get a bunch of comments attacking me saying I'm not a real fan and to quit watching the show and that I'm pathetic if I didn't like it. YET I notice other people who make similar posts as me don't get these replies. In fact, they get replies that agree with them. Why am I always singled out?

I know rude comments are a plague across the internet and everyone gets them - but I don't understand why I get them on a consistent basis if I'm not posting anything bad?

I have people constantly telling me stuff I say is incorrect and go on a complete and utter tangent about it. I commented on some old video about fallout shelters and said something like "That's crazy how they thought nuclear fallout would clear up so fast" and then got a TON of comments calling me an "idiot" and "moron" and people explaining in extreme scientific detail about how nuclear fallout clears up --- why? It makes me feel like crap and it makes me feel like I'm not ALLOWED to say anything. I'd say 98% of times I post ANYTHING, I get horribly rude replies.

I quit all social media because I can't take being beat down like this by people I don't know and who don't know me. It's been happening consistently for years and I don't get it. It makes me feel like I'm not allowed to say anything. Now I quit it all.

It's like this in my real life too. Everyone's always attacking me and criticizing me. I went into an auto shop to get wiper blades and the guy was talking down to me about what kind to get. Probably because I'm a girl and he was being a jerk. I knew what kind I needed but he tried to tell me I was wrong. When I said "No, but thank you" nicely, he laughed in a condescending way and rolled his eyes, as if I'm an idiot. My exes would always tell me I was wrong and correct me and 'mansplain' everything. But women do it too - everyone does it. My family does it.

It makes me feel like I'm stupid - and I admit I'm not very smart, but I have my Bachelor's in Business - but when people talk down to me constantly in real life and online, it makes me feel so worthless and stupid. People treat me like I'm nothing.

It's not like they correct me on legit things. I could say "The sky is blue today" and they'll correct me with, "Not really, you're wrong. It's gray over there. So actually it's more blue-gray. It's not really that blue". It's totally unnecessary and I don't understand why everyone does this to me? I'd never treat someone like that.

Prettyroses99

Prettyroses99

I had to delete Facebook because it's extremely toxic. It's pretty much just where people go to internet fight. I don't need that drama.

J

JeanPierre

This isn't about anything on this website. The site is very much a safe and positive space.

I'm talking about specifically popular social media. I had to quit it all because it got to be too much. Every single time I post anything - on any social media - I get random replies from people who tell me I'm a "moron" and make fun of me.

I don't understand why I get consistent rude replies. I never have a lot of followers (barely over 100) I don't post anything mean or controversial or too opinionated. Maybe if I write "I didn't like this episode of this show, but hopefully the next one is better" I get a bunch of comments attacking me saying I'm not a real fan and to quit watching the show and that I'm pathetic if I didn't like it. YET I notice other people who make similar posts as me don't get these replies. In fact, they get replies that agree with them. Why am I always singled out?

I know rude comments are a plague across the internet and everyone gets them - but I don't understand why I get them on a consistent basis if I'm not posting anything bad?

I have people constantly telling me stuff I say is incorrect and go on a complete and utter tangent about it. I commented on some old video about fallout shelters and said something like "That's crazy how they thought nuclear fallout would clear up so fast" and then got a TON of comments calling me an "idiot" and "moron" and people explaining in extreme scientific detail about how nuclear fallout clears up --- why? It makes me feel like crap and it makes me feel like I'm not ALLOWED to say anything. I'd say 98% of times I post ANYTHING, I get horribly rude replies.

I quit all social media because I can't take being beat down like this by people I don't know and who don't know me. It's been happening consistently for years and I don't get it. It makes me feel like I'm not allowed to say anything. Now I quit it all.

It's like this in my real life too. Everyone's always attacking me and criticizing me. I went into an auto shop to get wiper blades and the guy was talking down to me about what kind to get. Probably because I'm a girl and he was being a jerk. I knew what kind I needed but he tried to tell me I was wrong. When I said "No, but thank you" nicely, he laughed in a condescending way and rolled his eyes, as if I'm an idiot. My exes would always tell me I was wrong and correct me and 'mansplain' everything. But women do it too - everyone does it. My family does it.

It makes me feel like I'm stupid - and I admit I'm not very smart, but I have my Bachelor's in Business - but when people talk down to me constantly in real life and online, it makes me feel so worthless and stupid. People treat me like I'm nothing.

It's not like they correct me on legit things. I could say "The sky is blue today" and they'll correct me with, "Not really, you're wrong. It's gray over there. So actually it's more blue-gray. It's not really that blue". It's totally unnecessary and I don't understand why everyone does this to me? I'd never treat someone like that.
The next time someone talks down to you turn around and walk away. Leave the room or the store. Try it. That business will stop.
I have learned people can only do to you what you let them. ✌

Bluejay7500

Bluejay7500

Try to be strong! Bullying is never fun! But if you stick it out you could learn how to avoid these people! And even out shine them!

🔹

L

Ladyfair

Hi I'm sorry this is happening, some people are so unhappy they need to make others unhappy. Than there are the ones who are not well. You have freedom of speech try to ignore them.

E

EclipticNight

I've endured a lot of bullying both on and off the net. I to can post something and people attack me for no reason. I can say I found a way to deal with the people like that. Ignore them. It drives them nuts.

jajingna

jajingna

Well, you're better off posting here than there. I'm curious what is up with all that, insults and such. There seems to be a mean streak in many people. Angry at things, maybe not allowed or able to express their bitterness with the people around them. Online is the outlet. Years ago I used to play a card game on yahoo when they had online games. I was lousy at it but still liked playing. Mainly when I was drinking. Used to get insulted, called an idiot and stuff. Because, ya know, being good at a silly card game is a real measure of intelligence.

S

strawberrywater

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Thank you everyone for your kind replies. I will never understand why so many people have to be mean over the Internet. I noticed it has gotten worse since ten years ago or so. Social media just makes it too easy for people to say whatever they want. But you all are right - it's best to ignore it. The few times I have responded just leads to an ongoing fight, so I guess those people enjoy it. Ignoring it makes it go away so I will do that. Taking a long break from social media will be very helpful too. It used to be fun but not anymore. Maybe I'm getting older lol!

R

RandomSkipio

Just like the others said, social media well the Internet in general shows the worst of humanity. Its easy for people to hurt others when they are anonymous. But sadly as you've seen people can be horrible in real life too.
There doesn't seem to be many good people out there nowadays, but they are around.
People unhappy with their lives like to make sure everyone else is too.
Stay strong and show them they can't get you down.

jajingna

jajingna

I guess the Internet in general has shown us a lot about how people feel about others, but it is usually towards total strangers! People say these awful things to someone they don't even know anything about. Where did this scorn for humanity come from, and why is it apparently everywhere? Why are people lashing out at total strangers online? It's weird and childish, and I don't see what benefit it provides.

Is the average person walking around with some sort of seething hatred and unexpressed resentment towards society? The awful comments that abound across all sorts on online platforms make me think it's not just bitter young people, but a wider problem, a sense of not feeling connected perhaps with what people really are, that in my opinion is much better than what this ridiculous vitriol that gets expressed so blatantly and offhandedly would suggest.

J

JeanPierre

I guess the Internet in general has shown us a lot about how people feel about others, but it is usually towards total strangers! People say these awful things to someone they don't even know anything about. Where did this scorn for humanity come from, and why is it apparently everywhere? Why are people lashing out at total strangers online? It's weird and childish, and I don't see what benefit it provides.

Is the average person walking around with some sort of seething hatred and unexpressed resentment towards society? The awful comments that abound across all sorts on online platforms make me think it's not just bitter young people, but a wider problem, a sense of not feeling connected perhaps with what people really are, that in my opinion is much better than what this ridiculous vitriol that gets expressed so blatantly and offhandedly would suggest.
I wonder that, too. Who are these people?
The people I encounter in daily life are not like that at all in my small community or even the wider city where I shop for food, gas, etc.

jajingna

jajingna

Seems like bitter folks are using the online world to vent stuff I guess. People love complaining, it's really popular. In a way they're just expressing stuff that isn't often socially acceptable when the rule is be civil and polite all the time. But the nasty nature of some comments makes ya wonder just how troubled these commenters might be. Like they gotta hide this stuff in real life but anonymous behind the screen they can let the beast off the leash.

J

JeanPierre

Seems like bitter folks are using the online world to vent stuff I guess. People love complaining, it's really popular. In a way they're just expressing stuff that isn't often socially acceptable when the rule is be civil and polite all the time. But the nasty nature of some comments makes ya wonder just how troubled these commenters might be. Like they gotta hide this stuff in real life but anonymous behind the screen they can let the beast off the leash.
It freaks me out to think how they may be acting out at home amongst their children and pets.
Could they really be bots to create division? I'm not even on social media but the things I hear.
I agree that societial rules are completely ignored.

OCDguy

OCDguy

You have to question what someone gains from making such comments. What does it say about them? Then there's making personal remarks. Is it worth challenging their way of thinking, or perhaps time to unfriend them...