• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Internal conversations

B

BlueWater

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this. When I'm in a good mood, I reenact positive conversations with others in my head usually adding funny twists to them. To me, these are real conversations with others but in my head and in my voice. Often, I catch myself moving my hands and lips doing this, sometimes talking out loud. Do others do this? It's something like a dissociation where without realizing it I can fall into the trap of disconnecting from my environment. Sometimes, I've caught myself doing this in front of others.

When I'm in a bad mood, it's negative self-talk all directed at me but frequently a repetition of negative remarks others have said to me and sometimes what I would say back to them if I could.

I understand the difference from a voice that is distinctly outside of my head. I've experienced them under great stress while completely awake or the hypnagogic variety. Those were fleeting, in a group and indistinct.

It's like there's almost always a conversation in my head. If I am calm and taking my meds, I can focus and read. But if I'm not engaged in something that takes up my thoughts (no direction?), the internal conversations begin again. They can be brief as in something everyone does like spoken reminders to oneself but almost like some dissociative daydreaming conversations. I have no idea.
Anyone relate?

Manicotti

Manicotti

I do not hear voices personally, but I have had conversations play out it my mind like what I would say to someone, and I sometimes will start speaking outloud or moving my lips or making faces. Like...right now...lol. I hope someone else that experiences what you do can be a bit more helpful.

I

IDontCare99

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this. When I'm in a good mood, I reenact positive conversations with others in my head usually adding funny twists to them. To me, these are real conversations with others but in my head and in my voice. Often, I catch myself moving my hands and lips doing this, sometimes talking out loud. Do others do this? It's something like a dissociation where without realizing it I can fall into the trap of disconnecting from my environment. Sometimes, I've caught myself doing this in front of others.

When I'm in a bad mood, it's negative self-talk all directed at me but frequently a repetition of negative remarks others have said to me and sometimes what I would say back to them if I could.

I understand the difference from a voice that is distinctly outside of my head. I've experienced them under great stress while completely awake or the hypnagogic variety. Those were fleeting, in a group and indistinct.

It's like there's almost always a conversation in my head. If I am calm and taking my meds, I can focus and read. But if I'm not engaged in something that takes up my thoughts (no direction?), the internal conversations begin again. They can be brief as in something everyone does like spoken reminders to oneself but almost like some dissociative daydreaming conversations. I have no idea.
Anyone relate?
Yes. I still make-believe in my head at 33 years old lol Now that I'm more aware of it, I have stopped, mostly, but it's really depressing like a culture shock. Imagine spending 33 years stuck in your head, only to wake up and find out you mean nothing...

It's not so bad I guess. Days run together...hard to keep myself entertained. But my reality gets a little better every day. I mostly just try to reserve my "daydreaming" for when I'm at work :rofl2:

I

IDontCare99

That's why I pick jobs where I can focus on a repetitive task.

I

IDontCare99

And because I'm unable to come up with fast solutions...like something as simple as a customer giving change out at the last minute. I can't automatically do the math. I try to avoid stuff like that, but unfortunately to *survive* I've done those jobs, and just told the customer we can't take change after it's already in the system, so they don't treat me like I'm stupid...like some customers have done in the past.

I

IDontCare99

The only jobs I'm able to really do, are jobs that make me want to dissociate or daydream that I'm not really there.

K

Keesha

I do not hear voices personally, but I have had conversations play out it my mind like what I would say to someone, and I sometimes will start speaking outloud or moving my lips or making faces. Like...right now...lol. I hope someone else that experiences what you do can be a bit more helpful.
This is what I do but I don’t hear voices. I act out stuff and sometimes say stuff that I thought I was only thinking . It doesn’t happen often but it’s concerning when it does

B

BlueWater

This is what I do but I don’t hear voices. I act out stuff and sometimes say stuff that I thought I was only thinking . It doesn’t happen often but it’s concerning when it does
Agree. I think what you've said describes my experience. I'm so lost in my thoughts that I act out stuff and sometimes say stuff out loud. My voice-hearing experiences are rare and separate from this.

Anxiousflower

Anxiousflower

Anyone relate?
I do this all the time, though I've never experienced hearing actual voices.