Intermittent fasting - experiences?

J

johnram

Hi,

i am starting to trial intermittent fasting, keen to hear who others have found it for:

- weight loss
- mental health overall
- mental health through the day

thanks

Y

Yodagirl

Hi,

i am starting to trial intermittent fasting, keen to hear who others have found it for:

- weight loss
- mental health overall

thanks
I haven’t tried it yet, but very interested in trying it out.

J

johnram

Well, i was away for a bit in february and i cut out breakfasts given the time change, i think i did eat a bit more in the evening though but still my weight down by a few kilos in 3 weeks, but it went back on when i came home

so now i am trying to do the same again, focus on an 8-9 hour feeding window of lunch and dinner, and maybe some snacks

sunset547544

sunset547544

24 hour fast from dinner time to dinner time next day ; quick summary of my experiences :

- Increased energy during fasting period, feels like digestive system is being given a much needed break

- Quite easy to do once I psyched myself up for it

- Extreme hunger when fast was over - intense cravings for high fat, sugar and carb rich foods, almost impossible to resist

- Effective for losing weight in short term, not sure about long term

- Big negative effect on mood for days after fast and reduced sleep quality

J

johnram

thats interesting @sunset547544

but i think thats fasting, rather than intermittent fasting where you still eat during 24 hours

A

Adrift Mind

Hi,

- weight loss
- mental health overall

thanks
I have been practicing intermittent fasting since early February (in conjunction with Keto and cutting sugar in general).

I have lost weight with my regimen. Also, I have greater wellness and as a result of both of these I feel a bit better about myself.

I hope this helped you! :)

Y

Yodagirl

I have been practicing intermittent fasting since early February (in conjunction with Keto and cutting sugar in general).

I have lost weight with my regimen. Also, I have greater wellness and as a result of both of these I feel a bit better about myself.

I hope this helped you! :)
I’ve really wanted to do keto, but afraid I lack the willpower. Did you go through keto flu or any ill side affects when you started?

J

johnram

Well done
what do you do when you get a carb craving?

J

Jules5

I drink coffee and I have no appetite and if I do eat it is a very small portion. I have lost 5 lbs so far. In 2 weeks. Coffee curbs the appetite. Hugs

J

Jules5

I really do not feel any different.I am so numb with the medications I take I just do not feel anything anymore. So sad. I have tried getting off the meds that cause weight gain and I have bad withdraw syptoms. I am susprised I do not still have an excessive appetite because of meds

J

johnram

I really do not feel any different.I am so numb with the medications I take I just do not feel anything anymore. So sad. I have tried getting off the meds that cause weight gain and I have bad withdraw syptoms. I am susprised I do not still have an excessive appetite because of meds
Sorry to hear that, from what i had heard is that the eating less can boost the mood, but maybe the meds makes that hard for you

A

Adrift Mind

I’ve really wanted to do keto, but afraid I lack the willpower. Did you go through keto flu or any ill side affects when you started?
Hey Yodagirl,

Unfortunately, I did experience Keto Flu. Once you cut carbs and sugar you tend to crave less and achieve satiety from eating smaller portions. If I can do it, anyone can!

J

johnram

I would normally do two meals a day and sometimes just one. I believe most cravings are a result of carbs (at least in my experience). It got easier as time went by. I’ve been doing Keto since early February.
that is broadly where i want to end up
does that not mean though, your calorie count is very low? i think its not a problem, from the anecdotal evidence i have heard though?

Urban Hermit

Urban Hermit

Three day fast , with only black tea, water and one 100 cal. Cup soup ...
Not for weight loss but to help reset kidneys and liver function , a tough three days , tired and hungry after 24 hours but appeared to help my body recover x

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
How many days do you have to do this for. I tried the 6weeks reverse diabetes diets when you eat 800 cals a day but only managed it for 10 days . I was absolutely craving nourishiment. And I’ve still got diabetes :low:

Sweet Peach Tea

Sweet Peach Tea

I have done it.

I see Keto coming up. If you do Keto correctly......the Fat, Protein and Carb need to be correctly balanced......you won’t need IF. Keto meals keep you full because they are nutrient dense. I did 3 meals. Wake up meal, Mid-day meal, Evening meal. I also drank my 60+ ounces of water.

I rarely ate my Mid-day meal. I was full.

As far as IF....I think it works best (with less effort...suffering) is you are not a breakfast person......since, you naturally wake up without hunger. It is easier to start your day without becoming obsessed with eating.

When I did IF (never on Keto) I gave myself an 8 hour eating window. Dinner at 5, 8’ish small meal, 10’ish snack. (5-12). I am more of a night person. My last meal was at least an hour before going to bed.

By the time, midnight came around.....I knew....no more eating!

If you need breakfast....then do the same ‘eating hours’ during this time. 8-10 hours for eating.

IF works well for someone watching their food intake. Trying not to overeat.

For losing weight IF alone doesn’t make you lose weight. It is more of mindful eating. Prevents overeating.

If you allow yourself to eat on a schedule of 8-10 hours a day.....then you do not overeat. Eating the right meals will keep you full.

My first meal....I waited until I was super hungry. (4 PM- 6 PM) I ate a huge meal. What I didn’t finish became my 2nd meal a few hours later. Then I would treat myself to whatever I was craving before going to bed.

But, for a ‘regular person’ what you are doing is skipping breakfast and lunch. Which is a lot of calories.

This is how IF prevents overeating.....or, can help you lower your calorie intake if you are trying to lose weight.

Doing IF, eating low carb (I suggest following Atkins) and exercising.....this is good for losing weight.

Low carb is the way to go. Whether traditional like Atkins.....or High Fat-Low Carb such as Keto.

Don’t follow a fad. Follow what your body naturally does. Just pick the 8-10 eating hours......take it from there.

There is the truth about IF. It doesn’t make you lose weight, it doesn’t speed up your metabolism, it doesn’t give you more energy, etc.

Cutting out a meal such as breakfast or lunch and the second day meal.......this is at least 500-700 calories you are cutting out from your day.

You do this with low carb eating and exercise........You are on your way to get fit!