• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Intermittent Explosive Disorder

jajingna

jajingna

Rarely ever hear about this one. Some people got anger issues, makes ya wonder almost if they have a condition, like an inability to control their outbursts. It's a sorry sight when ya see a grown man throwing a tantrum like a child, getting angry over something small.

" Intermittent explosive disorder is a lesser-known mental disorder marked by episodes of unwarranted anger. It is commonly described as “flying into a rage for no reason.” In an individual with intermittent explosive disorder, the behavioral outbursts are out of proportion to the situation. "

Passionflower

Passionflower

I thought it was a diagnosis solely for children not adults?

jajingna

jajingna

Looks like adults have it too. I think of someone who may be calm and pleasant much of the time, but has a lot of baggage. Then something small can be like a trigger and they freak out. Maybe with unpredictable violence.

M

MouthyOne

Have heard of this before and thought I was experiencing it myself especially last year. Could well be simply fitting things into situations to put a label on it though.

Listen to a radio talk show (sport related) most days and they talk about "outbursts" when it seems like a small moan. Wish the outbursts I had were like that. It's horrible feeling tense a lot of the time. :(

jajingna

jajingna

That’s my Dad in a nutshell. 😞
Sorry to hear that. Can you describe how he acts when he gets angry? I was thinking of a brother when I recalled the name of this disorder, not to say he has it really, but a nasty temper over things that really don't look that important, like, what the hell? And he's always been like that. Father was also a cranky person, damn. Actually "cranky" is a euphemism. The anger just makes everything worse, never solves a thing. And since ya don't know what might set it off, ya just learn to avoid them.

JessisMe

JessisMe

Sorry to hear that. Can you describe how he acts when he gets angry? I was thinking of a brother when I recalled the name of this disorder, not to say he has it really, but a nasty temper over things that really don't look that important, like, what the hell? And he's always been like that. Father was also a cranky person, damn. Actually "cranky" is a euphemism. The anger just makes everything worse, never solves a thing. And since ya don't know what might set it off, ya just learn to avoid them.

My father completely goes off. Starts yelling and shouting obscenities. He is really into blaming people. He used to throw things. Just a raging temper. Temper tantrums on a grand scale. They would be pretty scary if they didn’t become routine. Much more so in the past than now in the present. Dad has tamed a lot since he retired but still pops off from time to time.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
maybe.shes.a.wildflower intermittent explosive disorder? Mental Health Experiences 2
K Moving on with schizoaffective bipolar disorder Mental Health Experiences 2
youremyheroinxx Partner with dissociative identity disorder Mental Health Experiences 3
H Multiple Personality Disorder - Living with the aftermath Mental Health Experiences 5
Daybreak Are there advantages to being mentally ill? Mental Disorder Superpowers Mental Health Experiences 24
Muddledmuggle Is it possible to have an Attention deficit disorder and not realize it? Mental Health Experiences 8
Hello513 Does BPD mean borderline personality disorder or bipolar disorder? Mental Health Experiences 7
S Does anyone know what this particular disorder might be ? Mental Health Experiences 1
D Someone else's disorder Mental Health Experiences 8
Q "Dark Night of the Soul"/ Awakening to a Personality Disorder/ Dissociating Mental Health Experiences 6
wraziel I'm scared about bipolar disorder D: !!! Mental Health Experiences 2
L Need help possable neurological disorder... Mental Health Experiences 1
V Tactile hallucinations(?) and Sensory Processing Disorder Mental Health Experiences 1
Andrew66 Panic Disorder Mental Health Experiences 1
Nina1997 Antisocial personality disorder? Or not Mental Health Experiences 5
D Being diagnosed as borderline peesonality disorder crap Mental Health Experiences 12
G Nightmares anxiety disorder Mental Health Experiences 2
W I think I have a disorder? Help me figure this out... Mental Health Experiences 7
L Lifelong Mystery Disorder Mental Health Experiences 5
H Non organic psychotic disorder Mental Health Experiences 1
D Anyone know about maladptive daydreaming disorder Mental Health Experiences 1
S Damage Self Belongings disorder Mental Health Experiences 0
S Is there a disorder that is the opposite of anxiety and OCD? Mental Health Experiences 5
M Experiences with somatization disorder? Mental Health Experiences 4
S Can BDD (body dysmorphia disorder) be a symptom of another disorder? Mental Health Experiences 1
M dissociative disorder? Mental Health Experiences 1
Azelka Skyzotipal personality disorder Mental Health Experiences 1
O Helo, please help with an advice, is this a mental disorder ? PLEASE Mental Health Experiences 4
maggiecraft major depressive disorder Mental Health Experiences 2
Kerome Gaming Disorder coming soon Mental Health Experiences 8
K What kind of psychological disorder am i suffering from? Mental Health Experiences 3
T PTSD, GAD, MDD= Borderline Personality Disorder Mental Health Experiences 1
F I suspect I have a mental disorder I am not sure Mental Health Experiences 4
W Undiagnised disorder Mental Health Experiences 1
H Attention Deficit Disorder Mental Health Experiences 2
E Extremely abusive spouse - mental disorder? Mental Health Experiences 4
N Is this a mental disorder? Mental Health Experiences 5
A Obsessive Compulsive, Bipolar Disorder, Depression, Anxiety Depressive. What do I have and what is the correct treatment? Mental Health Experiences 6
snikdil I'm In Dire Need Of Help Regarding My Daughter Who Supposesly Has Reactive Attachment Disorder (RAD)!!!!!! Mental Health Experiences 3
T Psychosis or Panic attack or Generalised anxiety disorder Mental Health Experiences 12
A Do I have GID? (Gender Identity Disorder) Mental Health Experiences 2
R Everything seems dull + anxiety disorder Mental Health Experiences 3
D Do I have a (harmless) mental disorder? Mental Health Experiences 4
N I miss my symptoms - Schizoaffective Disorder Mental Health Experiences 4
cpuusage Is There A Disorder That Makes You Over-Sensitive? Mental Health Experiences 8
Nikita Personality Disorder is it a mental illness? Mental Health Experiences 20
P Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and Inner voices? Mental Health Experiences 2
V am I developing conversion disorder? Mental Health Experiences 1
V somatization Disorder Mental Health Experiences 1
P 11 year old hallucinations and psychotic disorder after taking Singulair (now on Risperdal and Atarax) Mental Health Experiences 7