• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Intermittent Explosive Disorder

jajingna

jajingna

Rarely ever hear about this one. Some people got anger issues, makes ya wonder almost if they have a condition, like an inability to control their outbursts. It's a sorry sight when ya see a grown man throwing a tantrum like a child, getting angry over something small.

" Intermittent explosive disorder is a lesser-known mental disorder marked by episodes of unwarranted anger. It is commonly described as “flying into a rage for no reason.” In an individual with intermittent explosive disorder, the behavioral outbursts are out of proportion to the situation. "

Passionflower

Passionflower

I thought it was a diagnosis solely for children not adults?

jajingna

jajingna

Looks like adults have it too. I think of someone who may be calm and pleasant much of the time, but has a lot of baggage. Then something small can be like a trigger and they freak out. Maybe with unpredictable violence.

O

On Fire

ACCOUNT CLOSED
When I read the title, I thought this was going to be a thread about diarrhoea.

M

MouthyOne

Have heard of this before and thought I was experiencing it myself especially last year. Could well be simply fitting things into situations to put a label on it though.

Listen to a radio talk show (sport related) most days and they talk about "outbursts" when it seems like a small moan. Wish the outbursts I had were like that. It's horrible feeling tense a lot of the time. :(

jajingna

jajingna

That’s my Dad in a nutshell. 😞
Sorry to hear that. Can you describe how he acts when he gets angry? I was thinking of a brother when I recalled the name of this disorder, not to say he has it really, but a nasty temper over things that really don't look that important, like, what the hell? And he's always been like that. Father was also a cranky person, damn. Actually "cranky" is a euphemism. The anger just makes everything worse, never solves a thing. And since ya don't know what might set it off, ya just learn to avoid them.

JessisMe

JessisMe

Sorry to hear that. Can you describe how he acts when he gets angry? I was thinking of a brother when I recalled the name of this disorder, not to say he has it really, but a nasty temper over things that really don't look that important, like, what the hell? And he's always been like that. Father was also a cranky person, damn. Actually "cranky" is a euphemism. The anger just makes everything worse, never solves a thing. And since ya don't know what might set it off, ya just learn to avoid them.

My father completely goes off. Starts yelling and shouting obscenities. He is really into blaming people. He used to throw things. Just a raging temper. Temper tantrums on a grand scale. They would be pretty scary if they didn’t become routine. Much more so in the past than now in the present. Dad has tamed a lot since he retired but still pops off from time to time.