• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

For more features and forums

interesting article on the Beeb

nickh

nickh

Founding Member
Yes it is interesting - thanks Dollit. I found the comments even more interesting.

I do sometimes wonder about the question am I pleased I am a depressive? Now of course this, like all such hypotheticals, is a stupid question! And of course when I am ill the answer is very simple! (No - in case anyone was wondering :D ).

But with these reservations I do muse about it sometimes. Having depression has led my life in a very different direction, or different directions. Obviously I start with experiences directly related to the illness like mental hospitals - I don't mean this was a good experience but it certainly broadened my outlook! Indeed as a whole having depression has I think made me more empathic and tolerant.

And beyond that my depression has led me to places which I would never have gone if I had not had it - some bad, some good. There have been far more dimensions to my life than I would have had without the depression.

I don't think I would go so far as to say, like some of the people who commented on the article, that depression has been a positive in my life. But I certainly wouldn't say it has been wholly negative either. And now I am discovering yet another new dimension with Service User stuff and places like this forum.

I suppose that what I am saying is that I do now accept that depression is part of me and I am 'proud to be a depressive' (a slogan that lacks any sort of ring :)). I certainly won't accept any stigma or s##t about it.

Wonder what others feel?

Nick.

D

Dollit

I curse my bipolarity at times - it takes over and saps me of energy and ideas or makes me incoherent and alarming and even in the well periods, as now, I find that I easily tire and neglect myself.

In another way I spend a lot of time feeling suicidal, making plans just in case, etc and so even when ill I try to get the most from my experiences and friendships. I have recently told someone that I love them and had the joy of having that person's love for me confirmed and that has made a close friendship better and even more substantial. If I love you I tell you today because I may not be around tomorrow.

I can't do real work anymore - and by that I mean going out and supporting myself and having a job description. Instead I do community based voluntary work and the guys I get to work with are amazing. I have learned not just about policing and where they fit in with crime but how they can change communities for the better. I have my ideas adopted and used in their work (gets a bit frustrating when the seniors get the credit but we all know who came up with the idea!) which changes things in my community.

So if I was well I'd have a high-powered well paid job and be doing very well thank you but I'd miss out on the friendships I've made from my voluntary work and a lot of the people in my life would never hear me say that I love them.