• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Interested In Others Views

shaun3210

shaun3210

Sorry long post:

Here is a list of the contact I have had with my CPN and other professional since I had my first meeting back in December, most of it is taken from my blog and edited slightly to take some of the feelings I expressed out.

I’m currently trying to make my mind up of what is going to be the best way of moving forward from this point, I did find the whole episode very negative but Im wondering if I might be as well just drawing a line under it and looking forward or if I do leave it like this might affect future dealings with the mental health team if I need then at some point in the future.

05/12 First went to see my CPN at the mental health teams offices. I felt at the time it was quite a positive experience.

18/12 (around that date) second meeting at my home, I wasn’t feeling very good and really on edge as the build up to Christmas is never a good time to me, she came with another women which I wasn’t expecting which threw me a bit and I might have been defensive and short with them. A appointment was made for 06/01.

05/01 The appointment was for the 6th was cancelled due to her being sick.

04/03 Rang the mental health team’s office, she was unavailable but the receptionist said I will get her to ring me back tomorrow, I got no return call.

09/03 Rang the mental health team’s office again told My CPN is on a days leave and the receptionist said “I will get her to ring you tomorrow”
So I insisted that I needed to talk to somebody and she got somebody from the duty team to ring me back.
A pleasant sounding women rang me back 5 mins later and apparently “I look to have slipped threw the cracks” My biggest fear was that I had been discharged and she was able to reassure me that I hadn’t. She sits next to my CPN in the office and will get her without fail to ring me tomorrow ….She failed.

17/03 Rang again and finally talked to her on the phone! I explained how I had been and how worried I had been about not hearing back from her, she had been off work a lot and needs to go in for surgery at some point soon, She said something about a new program that has been set up to offer support and will talk about it more when she sees me, she didn't think talking therapies would be much good to me, which I disagreed with! but agreed at the moment the more pressing need is to be able to function day to day better. An appointment was made for the 31st.

31/03 CPN came and brought a social worker, no pleasantries, no asking how I was or how I had been, the social worker talked down to me and seemed to think he knew me within 10-15 mins of meeting me, he talked a lot about the therapeutic community I was in and how expensive it was and wanting to know who funded it etc, also the fact he had wanted to get a couple of people in there but couldn’t get funding for them, then told me I was being moved onto a “Restart Scheme” which apparently will help me get out the house.
I will be getting discharged from my CPN in about 6 weeks (she said something about she could still be coming in 5 years if she didn't stop and didnt think it would do me any good) and also at some point I will also be getting discharged from the social worker and just under the care of the restart scheme, looked on goggle at what exactly it is and it looked like my MH issues are being ignored all together, left feeling really negative about getting involved with them in the first place.

23/04 last visit, CPN and social worker came again the appointment was for 2 o’clock and they turned up at 1.45, I was eating a slice of toast at the time so I said “sorry I wasn’t expecting you till 2” the social worker “we have to go and see a emergency at 2 so we came early” No pleasantries or talk about how I was again.
The social worker just seemed to want me on the back foot from the off, I sat there and took it for about 5 mins, I think he was trying to get me to agree that I had a personality disorder, he was also talking to me like I had a really low IQ.
I was quite insulted by this point and luckily wasn’t feeling to bad that day and was able to stand up for myself without going over the top in my reaction but I let him know in no uncertain terms I wasn’t happy with the treatment I was getting from them and the fact they were making decisions and trying to push me into things when it was quite apparent they knew so little about me, his reply to that was along the lines of “that’s how things work these days” he seemed to have the impression I had never worked and had been constantly needing care all my life, I set him straight on that and this was only the 2nd time I had asked for help from anybody professional since the age of 18.
I also made it very clear that I consider the fact that I’m still here at all with the state I was in after I left The Red House a positive thing, but I was not willing or able to carry on as things are at the moment and that I can’t get myself out of it on my own, this put him on the back foot and he even said “tell us if you think we are doing a bad job” I didn’t reply directly to that as I didn’t want to go down that road with him, the patronizing comments hadn’t stopped though he them made a crack about “not expecting instant results” and the fact I had got quite worked up at one stage my reply was along the lines “well I felt I had to say something and I needed to get worked up to say it, as I have problems doing so when I’m not feeling well” he made a smart comment that I cant remember but the end bit was something about “there is a lesson for you there!”
I also pulled them up on the “no talk therapies” comment, a local charity about 10 miles away from me was suggested, that does 1 on 1 counselling, which could work along side the Restart scheme. The social worker rang them and a appointment was made for me to go see somebody on the following Saturday, I was told to ring the following week after I had been to the charity, no follow up appointment was made.
I rang on the Monday and the social worker rang me back on Wednesday morning, I informed him that I will be attending 1on1 counselling there which he seemed pleased about and also informed me that he was leaving that Friday so wouldn’t be seeing me again and wished me luck. Not heard anything from CPN since so assuming I have been discharged from her.

14/05 Got something threw from the Community Restart scheme, a leaflet and a note asking me to give then a ring to make a appointment, looking at there leaflet it is what I feared a scheme for somebody who is coming to the end of treatment and looking to start down new avenues in maybe work, education or voluntary work but not for somebody who is still looking for that help in the first place.

Looking at the list the first thing that jumped out at me was the fact I left it 2 months from 06/01 to 04/03 for me to try to get in contact with my CPN again …my first response when I noticed was “oh shit it was my fault!” To be honest I had no idea the gap was so large and have no idea why I left it so long, but I did get very worked up about not hearing from her during this period …Wondering if this large gap has any affect on how I have been treated since?

I had a meeting with the lady who runs the charity where I go for counselling and my councillor yesterday, I talked about my experience’s with my CPN and social worker, it was decided that I’m going to be referred to a Advocate that the charity has used quite a bit, but I am still interested in others views and takes on what has happened.

Cheers :)

J

jamesdean

It is clearly upsetting you the way that you have been treated.
I myself have given up expecting anything form the nhs now, because its just one big mess.

And the way that people talk to you is disgusting, I can understand where you are coming from because it took me about 20 years of struggling with depression until I was 28 n had abreakdown in the last 20 years has aservice user there have been a couple of good experiences with the service but on the whole its pretty dire.

But good luck in your journey and I do hope that you can find some good I'm sure it must be there somewhere

D

Dollit

Yes two months is a long gap but if you're ill that kind of time can slip away unnoticed. I rang the crisis team one night in a bad way but was told because I could "communicate my stress" then I was really okay. So it seems at times we have two choices - to speak up and be deemed well or to say nothing and be deemed well.

Lose, lose.

shaun3210

shaun3210

Thanks for your comments :)

Dollit yep your right after thinking about it some more, I think I can let myself off the hook to some degree on that, but I’m left asking what is her excuse for not getting in touch with me? she wasn’t off sick for anywhere near all that period and it was said she would get in contact with me with me to arrange another appointment when, but is just a minor detail in the grand scheme of things ...but still one that caused me quite a lot of worry at the time.

I don’t know... it all just really sticks in my throat!:mad:

nickh

nickh

Founding Member
Yup I'm afraid it is all a disgrace Shaun. The truth is that your CPN and the Social Worker are obviously operating under management dictates which order them to get people 'off the books' and into the process of getting people back to work (or at least off benefit) as the Government is dictating. The individual - you - is completely ignored in this process. But you are doing absolutely the right thing by getting in touch with an Advocate - hopefully they will be able to help you. And you should attach absolutely no blame whatever to yourself - nothing you have done has been wrong in any way.

Sorry to hear of your experiences - but sadly not surprised :(

Nick.

shaun3210

shaun3210

Cheers Nick. The lady who runs the charity rang me yesterday afternoon and the Advocate is going to get in contact with me within the next 3 working days :)

Hope she rings on Monday because I’m really going to have to get in contact with the Community Restart scheme soon and it would be good to have some guidance about what to say them, I feel they are not right for me at the minute, but don’t want to appear to be awkward with them or ignoring the letter.:confused:

Last edited:
KP1

KP1

Founding Member
Hi Shaun I've had similiar experiences with psychiatric appointments being cancelled but I have got a good "pushy" GP and I think he may have chased things up recently. Do you have a good relationship with your GP?It would be worth a chat to them.

shaun3210

shaun3210

Unfortunately my relationship with my GP isn’t too great, he seemed to give up on me when I left the therapeutic community I was in early:unsure:

I have been going on about get a new one for about 6 months now, but not done anything about it :(

Z

zamanmsnuk

Founding Member
shaun
im afraid this is a common problem. which is not right . i have had similar expereince . The only way things can change is by making a complaint at least your veiws can be expressed. and hope fully it doesnot happen to any one else

shaun3210

shaun3210

zamanmsnuk looking round at others experiences I agree this is a common problem. This sounds bad but I'm glad I'm not alone and was not singled out in some way, I am going to fight it if I can under advisement of the Advocate.

Guess my experiences when I was under the care of the Red House protected me from this side of the MH service to a great extent, I had letters offering me more benefits when I got my DLA threw, which I didn’t take up! because I considered I had enough to live on.
Even finding a professional to help me fill out the form now it's run out seems next to impossible! Am I different person that needs less help than I did 2 years ago??? answer NO!!! but the MHT haven't stopped to find that out!

nickh

nickh

Founding Member
That is good news about the advocate Shaun - I hope they can help and maybe even attend any interview with you if applicable.

Good luck.

Nick.

Z

zamanmsnuk

Founding Member
Thats good shaun. I do hope you get a good result. I tried to complain on my own but found it very difficul and used http://www.pohwer.net/our_services/independent_1.html They were very good and understanding as they are trained in complained procedures. they are ai ndependant organisation for complaints about the nhs and they even write your complaint up goto to the meetiings with you. if your not happy with the out come they will help you to take your complaint to the parliamentary ombudsmun

good luck

zaman

ms_P

ms_P

Founding Member
I was on a waiting list for 17 months for a social psychiatric nurse, after my psychiatrist went missing in action without a word.

I'm tempted to think the facility the spn works for half hoped I'd off myself in the interim.

"Next please..."

Z

zamanmsnuk

Founding Member
:oops:
sorry if the link doesnot work just "google" in powher and then click on it

they were formerly known as icas
here is a print screen

| Text only Contact

Our services
Role of Advocacy and Service Referrals
Generic one to one Advocacy
Independent Complaints Advocacy Service (ICAS)
Non-Instructed Advocacy (NIA) Service
Empowerment
Prison ICAS
Independent Mental Capacity Advocacy Service (IMCA)

You are here: Home / Our Services /
Independent Complaints Advocacy Service (ICAS)

Introduction to ICAS

For most people the National Health Service (NHS) provides a high standard of care, but sometimes things do not go as expected. Everyone has a right to complain if they feel something has gone wrong and for this reason the NHS has a Complaints Procedure.

Section 12 of the Health and Social Care Act places a legal duty on the Secretary of State to make arrangements to provide independent advocacy services to assist individuals making complaints against the NHS.

Using the NHS Complaints Procedure to complain can help your client obtain the answers and explanations they may be seeking. Also, by drawing attention to their personal experiences, they may help to bring about changes and improved services.

ICAS is a free, independent and confidential service.

How to find an ICAS service
POhWER is one of three national Independent Complaints Advocacy Service(ICAS) providers. There are contact details for all providers at the end of this page.

Local health services, for example the hospital, doctors or dentists surgery, should also be able to provide you or your client with information about the NHS Complaints Procedure including details of who to address a complaint to.

What can the service do to help?
Advocates provide a one to one service working with clients to the extent they require. We can simply provide information to help people understand the Complaints process and manage their own complaint- or provide more in depth support such as supporting client to write letters or attend a meeting. All our work is client-led, free and independent.

For more information about what ICAS Advocates can, and cannot do please follow this link. How ICAS can help you

These are just some of the most common examples of issues that arise in the Independent Complaints Advocacy Service.

Admissions, transfer or discharge
Attitude of staff
Communication and information to patients
Complaints handling
Dentistry

No/slow responses
Misdiagnosis
Opticians
Patients privacy and dignity
Patients property

Referrals
We can accept referrals to the service either direct as self referrals from clients or from a third party, for example a professional or carer.

Examples of sources of referrals:

Citizens Advice Bureau
Complaints Managers
Consumer Services
Dentists
Friends and Family
General Medical Council
MPs
NHS Direct
Ombudsman
Patients Advice and Liaison Service
Social Workers
Solicitors
Strategic Health Authority
Healthcare Commission
To make a referral to this service please complete this form

Contact us

You can contact us using the electronic form above, or if you prefer you can contact us by telephone.

Your call will be answered by an Advocacy Support Officer who will ask you for some details and will then pass on a summary to an Advocate. You can usually expect our Advocates to contact clients within 2 working days of your referral to us.

Our Independent Complaints Advocacy Service (ICAS) covers the East of England, London and the West Midlands Regions. Click on one of the links below for contact details of the office covering your area.

Contact Hertfordshire and Bedfordshire ICAS

Contact Essex ICAS

Contact Cambridgeshire, Norfolk and Suffolk ICAS

Contact Birmingham & the Black Country ICAS

Contact Shropshire & Staffordshire ICAS

Contact Coventry, Warwickshire, Herefordshire & Worcestershire ICAS

Contact North Central London ICAS

Contact North East London ICAS

Contact North West London ICAS

Contact South East London ICAS

Contact South West London ICAS

If your region is not shown here please follow this link to see details of ICAS providers in other regions. ICAS Providers

Print page Email to a friend Back to top|
How ICAS can help

NHS Complaints Self Help Information pack

Other ICAS providers

|

"It's very nice to know that there is work going on to support the vulnerable people that we work with"

| Disclaimer | Privacy policy | site by Torchbox | Bobby AA Approved | © 2009 POhWER

D

Dollit

ICAS are advertised in all health centres and doctors surgeries. They should also be details of PALS there too.