• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Intense panic attacks

• Thread starter Looking for hope
  • Start date
L

Looking for hope

Four years ago I was a happy, hopeful individual. One day I came home and I started crying and I felt the weight of the world on my shoulders and like I could never stop. Then I started having panic attacks accompanied with all the symptoms, rapid heart beat, hyperventilating, and such extreme terror that after the attacks passed I felt I had been through the wringer. For the next few months I alternated between attacks, sleeplessness and depression until my mother took me to a therapist and psychologist. I could no longer work or drive at this point because my attacks were so severe. All I wanted was to be able to shut off my brain so I wouldn't have to have the terrible thoughts I was having. I was put on medication and regularly saw my wonderful therapist who helped me enormously. Eventually I started to get better but it was a full year before I could start to feel a bit like my old self. Naively once I got better I assumed it had been an unfortunate once in a lifetime experience until I started to have attacks again a couple months ago. I feel like my mind has betrayed me. The terror is debilitating. I wish I could just go back to who I used to be.

M

Mav2126

I highly suggest they put you on something called propranolol. It is a medication that helps with all the physical symptoms of panic attacks and it helped me. I wish you the best of luck.

Jolly

Jolly

Welcome 🙏 practice what the therapist taught you as well as it might help

L

Looking for hope

I highly suggest they put you on something called propranolol. It is a medication that helps with all the physical symptoms of panic attacks and it helped me. I wish you the best of luck.
Thank you for replying. At the time I posted I was put on sertraline however since my attacks were so severe my doctor prescribed propranolol as well and I am experiencing some relief. The physical symptoms have certainly improved.

I

Inie

I’m also on Propranolol. How many mgs are you on?

M

Mav2126

I am no longer on it since I haven't had panic attacks lately. I take klonopin for my anxiety. I actually am still on a beta blocker called metropolol which is similar but I am taking for my heart instead of mental health.

I

Inie

I also take Klonopin but for panic attacks. Do you take it everyday? What do you take the Metropolol for. I was given this to take instead of the Propranolol. I was told the Metropolol stays longer in your system.

M

Mav2126

I also take Klonopin but for panic attacks. Do you take it everyday? What do you take the Metropolol for. I was given this to take instead of the Propranolol. I was told the Metropolol stays longer in your system.
Interesting. I did not know that about Metropolol. The Metropolol is for my heart - it lowers my heart rate (not related to anxiety its for medical heart reasons) I take Klonopin .5 mg a day or 1.5 mg if having alot of anxiety in a day.

I

Inie

Interesting. I did not know that about Metropolol. The Metropolol is for my heart - it lowers my heart rate (not related to anxiety its for medical heart reasons) I take Klonopin .5 mg a day or 1.5 mg if having alot of anxiety in a day.
You sound like me I take the beta blocker to also lower my heart rate. The Klonopin works wonders but I take sparingly.

LoqLamp

LoqLamp

You can’t take beta blockers if you have asthma because it stops inhalers having an effect. Just an FYI.

Ms Individual

Ms Individual

Hi. I am new here and so happy I found this forum through my therapist.
I also have been put on Metropolol for a rapid heart rate. My Cardiologist said this will also help with panic attacks, as I ended up in the hospital with a very bad panic attack. It does help. I take two 50mg daily. I am also on Celexa and Valium. I also bought on Amazon a powder you put in water that contains D3 (as I was low) Calcium, VitaminC and Magnesium. Magnesium helps me really feel better. You have to take the tablets or drink for a few weeks or longer to feel pretty mellow. My doctor said it's fine for me to drink this mixture. I also take Magnesium baths twice a week. I have to exercise as well, or I will get anxious. Burn off that Cortisol my doctor said. I have had Panic attacks since I was 17 years old! I Have learned to live my best life so far with them, now I am angry at these feelings, so it's time to fight!! What sets me off is a strange body feeling, something that is not harmful. Also I let Agoraphobia into my life which I now am learning CBT. Medications (the right ones) with therapy and vitamins, minerals and clean foods (I don't do candy or pies or cake, soda) along with exercise really can help. Yet I still have a huge fight with GAD and Agoraphobia I know. It's a daily battle due to my "what if's" that pop in my head. But yes ask your doctor about Metropolol! At first I was very drowsy, then I settled into the medication fine. Sometimes I even feel as though I can drive far... I can't. Only due to my flawed thinking. CBT is helping but I am very new to it, because again it's all my thinking. Be well.