• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Integration disorder

F

firemonkee57

Renaming disorders to change public beliefs and attitudes remains controversial. This study compared the potentially destigmatising effects of renaming schizophrenia with the effects of renaming bipolar disorder by comparing the label ‘schizophrenia’ to ‘integration disorder’, and ‘bipolar disorder’ to ‘manic depression’, in 1621 lay participants. ‘Bipolar disorder’ was associated with less fear and social distance than ‘manic depression’. ‘Integration disorder’ was associated with increased endorsement of a biopsychosocial cause and reduced attributions of dangerousness but also increased social distance, highlighting the complex effects renaming has on stigma.

Renaming schizophrenia to reduce stigma: comparison with the case of bipolar disorder | The British Journal of Psychiatry

SarahD

SarahD

Well... Schizophrenia is a scary word when you know nothing about it. 'Integration' isn't all that self-explanatory in the way bipolar is. Against that is the movement (with quite a bit of support) against giving a 'label' to people, like schizophrenia or bipolar. However, without the label you would still have the symptoms! Not sure what I think about this.

It would be good if people had a better understanding and not just fear because of the name. Don't know if this is the best approach.

F

firemonkee57

I think without educating people stigma will eventually attach to any new name.

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

I told my last boss I had schizophrenia and he countered by saying he had high blood pressure. It was a technical job, so I think he was missing the point.

Toasted Crumpet

Toasted Crumpet

ACCOUNT CLOSED
They've renamed BPD to EUPD I don't think it makes any difference, some people prefer it, personally I think being referred to as emotionally unstable would piss me off more. A rose of any other name would smell as sweet.

H

Helena1

Staff Member on Leave
i agree with sarahD in that i dont get what the name has to do with schizophrenia but i dont know that much about it. i thought is was maths. it just sounds like a disorder which means you cant do that kind of maths to me.

*autumn*

*autumn*

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Renaming disorders to change public beliefs and attitudes remains controversial. This study compared the potentially destigmatising effects of renaming schizophrenia with the effects of renaming bipolar disorder by comparing the label ‘schizophrenia’ to ‘integration disorder’, and ‘bipolar disorder’ to ‘manic depression’, in 1621 lay participants. ‘Bipolar disorder’ was associated with less fear and social distance than ‘manic depression’. ‘Integration disorder’ was associated with increased endorsement of a biopsychosocial cause and reduced attributions of dangerousness but also increased social distance, highlighting the complex effects renaming has on stigma.

Renaming schizophrenia to reduce stigma: comparison with the case of bipolar disorder | The British Journal of Psychiatry
I would personally prefer to use the words "integration condition".

BillFish

BillFish

It doesn't really matter what they choose as a label for it, the new label would be just as stigmatizing within 12 months once a few high profile cases have hit the media using the new label.The only way I could see differentiating the majority of sufferers from the violent minority would be to grade the risk and history of the individual such as "Low risk moderate psychosis" or "very low risk medicated psychosis" but hey, commonsense aint that common is it :meanie:

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
i remember when they first started usig aspergers as an alternative to labelling some people schitzoprnic as they did when i was young, i said to my sister how long before someone with aspergers murders someone, think it's happened

I do think before aspergers certain people would have been diagnosed schitzoprenic

BillFish

BillFish

i remember when they first started usig aspergers as an alternative to labelling some people schitzoprnic as they did when i was young, i said to my sister how long before someone with aspergers murders someone, think it's happened

I do think before aspergers certain people would have been diagnosed schitzoprenic
I can honestly say, I don't spend my days fretting about what people think of schizophrenics or whatever they want to change the label to, life is a challenge with the illness alone without worrying what the public think, just get the hell on with the day I say.:p

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I can honestly say, I don't spend my days fretting about what people think of schizophrenics or whatever they want to change the label to, life is a challenge with the illness alone without worrying what the public think, just get the hell on with the day I say.:p
The general public think it's split personality (calm one minute & violently dangerous the next), & people with the condition are fat, smelly, stay dressed in the same clothes dribbling over themselves, wandering the streets talking to themselves, shouting at & threatening people, & stabbing people up if approached too closely.

Toasted Crumpet

Toasted Crumpet

ACCOUNT CLOSED
The general public think it's split personality (calm one minute & violently dangerous the next), & people with the condition are fat, smelly, stay dressed in the same clothes dribbling over themselves, wandering the streets talking to themselves, shouting at & threatening people, & stabbing people up if approached too closely.
Yes. I got told I by a resident I was not allowed to drink alcohol as I would become violent, and she was going to call the police, when she saw me with a bottle. (NB I've never been violent and I wasn't drinking to excess either)

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
went to the corner shop the guy started laughing in my face then when i bought 3 cans of guinness he said should you be drinking with your condition, maybe he didn't know could be a bit paranoid