• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Insomnia and Morning Anxiety

P

Posey

I used to sleep well. Now I have insomnia and my anxiety ramped up. My anxiety is worse in the morning. I wake up frightened. It is a hellish feeling.

A

Aurelius

Welcome to the forum Posey. I am sorry to hear that you have reached such a low point without any real support or understanding from others. I know people here will reach out and try to give you some friendship and whatever support they can - so you do not have to feel so alone in future.

Reading your other posts it seems you are suffering chronic high levels of stress and this is feeding into and being fed by all the other daily life and health/mental health issues you are experiencing. Stress at the levels you describe may be the trigger for your insomnia, which in turn will impact on your anxiety - especially your morning anxiety as cortisol levels are usually high on wakening.

You should really consider seeing your doctor as the type of stress load you describe can have a serious impact on many significant aspects of your health, from lowering your immunity to causing organ dysfunction (apart from the health/mental health issues you have mentioned).

You might also ask whether your morning anxiety might be part of of a generalised anxiety condition.

There are some self-care strategies that have been found to be of benefit in terms of (1) sleep preparation and (2) coping with and/or managing morning anxiety and stress. You could discuss these with your doctor to identify any which you feel could be helpful and you could see yourself using as part of your day-to-day life.

P

Posey

Welcome to the forum Posey. I am sorry to hear that you have reached such a low point without any real support or understanding from others. I know people here will reach out and try to give you some friendship and whatever support they can - so you do not have to feel so alone in future.

Reading your other posts it seems you are suffering chronic high levels of stress and this is feeding into and being fed by all the other daily life and health/mental health issues you are experiencing. Stress at the levels you describe may be the trigger for your insomnia, which in turn will impact on your anxiety - especially your morning anxiety as cortisol levels are usually high on wakening.

You should really consider seeing your doctor as the type of stress load you describe can have a serious impact on many significant aspects of your health, from lowering your immunity to causing organ dysfunction (apart from the health/mental health issues you have mentioned).

You might also ask whether your morning anxiety might be part of of a generalised anxiety condition.

There are some self-care strategies that have been found to be of benefit in terms of (1) sleep preparation and (2) coping with and/or managing morning anxiety and stress. You could discuss these with your doctor to identify any which you feel could be helpful and you could see yourself using as part of your day-to-day life.

Thank you so much for this information and for your support. I need it so badly. What is sleep preparation?

I have gone to to many doctors since May. You are correct about physical health. My physical health has gone downhill in every way. (1 ). I lost over 50% of my hair. When I washed my hair last night, seeing all the hair loss brought me to my knees and I was just crying in the shower; (2) I developed allergies to everything. I did immunotherapy for 1 year (shots) and that did not work and allergy pills did not work. I have chronic post nasel drip; (3) I have developed a UTi. My doctor gave me antibiotics for 7 days. I still have a UTI and I have been put on antibiotics for another 10 days. ( 4) I developed a fibroid on my uterus, which is supposed to be taken out. (5) I have an imbalance in hormones (6) my migraines are triggered.

It is so hard to get rid of stress,. It is a vicious cycle, because my depression has caused physical illnesses and I'm more depressed from these illnesses. Due to depression, I have been unable to get a job. I am not financially independent. If something happens to my husband, I will be on the street. I've been in this limbo and don't know how to get out of it. I've tried so hard. I know I am a burden at this point. I feel like a terrible person. I am too young to have all these issues and for people to have to deal with me. I can tell by their attitude that it has taken a toll on my husband.

Again, thanks for listening and understanding.

A

Aurelius

Sleep preparation is about developing a nightly routine based on actions/strategies (different for everyone) that help your mind, emotions and body to relax/de-stress so that it is easier to fall asleep and/or have restful sleep.

I have attached a UK resource (see page 4 onwards) that will provide you with an idea of what these strategies look like. There are many articles and resources on reliable health sites and they nearly all suggest the same range of strategies/actions, as there is good evidence to support them. The resource I attach is from MIND (UK) - there are links on this website that you can use to access resources without cost from the National Health Service websites in the UK.

You will probably be able to find US based equivalents once you know what you are looking for, better still, your doctor might be able to help you out on this.

https://www.mind.org.uk/information...sleep-problems/about-sleep-and-mental-health/

Attachments

• sleep-problems-2020.pdf
    346.2 KB · Views: 0
E

EclipticNight

If that fails feel free to PM me, I have a rare sleep disorder which took years to diagnose so I know a fair bit about insomnia.

D

dansell123

Sleeping tips:

Sound-ambient sound like a fan or a recording of rain or ocean waves
Taste- Dairy products
Touch- soak your feet in cold water (an old Ayurvedic technique)
Smell- scented candle or incense (e.g. lavender)
Sight- dim lighting conditions (nightlight)

Hope this helps!

P

Posey

Sleep preparation is about developing a nightly routine based on actions/strategies (different for everyone) that help your mind, emotions and body to relax/de-stress so that it is easier to fall asleep and/or have restful sleep.

I have attached a UK resource (see page 4 onwards) that will provide you with an idea of what these strategies look like. There are many articles and resources on reliable health sites and they nearly all suggest the same range of strategies/actions, as there is good evidence to support them. The resource I attach is from MIND (UK) - there are links on this website that you can use to access resources without cost from the National Health Service websites in the UK.

You will probably be able to find US based equivalents once you know what you are looking for, better still, your doctor might be able to help you out on this.

https://www.mind.org.uk/information...sleep-problems/about-sleep-and-mental-health/
Thank you. I really appreciate it.

stevie_sloth

stevie_sloth

All throughout my childhood, adolescence and to a lesser extent into my 20s, I had delayed onset insomnia AND I'd wake up early, with a horrendous feeling of dread, fear and tension.

Part of my delayed onset insomnia was, I think, me not wanting to fall asleep. I enjoyed lying in bed daydreaming, singing to myself and just sort of relaxing for a few hours in the dark before I'd finally get sleepy. But I knew that once I fell asleep, the next thing I'd know would be waking up to that horrible dread.

P

Posey

I absolutely know the feeling. I am sorry you have to go through that. I have depression, anxiety and PTSD. I used to sleep to get away from the pain and it worked. Now, I wake out of sleep and and my arm automatically feels my husband's side of because he is not there and I feel abandoned. The intellect part of the brain knows that he's at work, but the psychological part of the brain reacts as though I am alone and abandoned. I'll wake up from long ago memories/ nightmares and my body will react as though it is happening now. I guess memories are held in the body. I try to stabilize by going down a list in my head and think, he's at work will be home and I am not abandoned. With flashbacks, I try to say to myself that it's all in the past -that doesn't work so well. Are there things that help you?

P

Posey

Sleeping tips:

Sound-ambient sound like a fan or a recording of rain or ocean waves
Taste- Dairy products
Touch- soak your feet in cold water (an old Ayurvedic technique)
Smell- scented candle or incense (e.g. lavender)
Sight- dim lighting conditions (nightlight)

Hope this helps!
Those are great ideas. Thank you.