Insight - what does it mean to you?

P

peanutbutterjelly

Do you have 'insight' and do others believe / agree with your assessment?

I'm curious, because I have been generally described as having no / limited insight - when I was 'unwell' (dependent on various substances / depressed / suicidal attempts and experiments / paranoid etc) I would argue coherently (though probably not, in retrospect) that I had insight, and why others would say I didn't.

Now I actually am better (I think) - clean, holding down a job, managing daily life and pretty much liking it - I need to 'prove' I have insight to get back to my goal (I was training as an AHCP). But after going on about how much insight I had, when, in retrospect I was really quite unwell (and went on to get worse) how can I prove that I really have insight, rather than my claiming to have insight being part of my lack of insight (which has been an accusation at a tribunal in the past).

Very confused by this! Help?

Joe

McMurphy's Ghost

McMurphy's Ghost

Do you have 'insight' and do others believe / agree with your assessment?

I'm curious, because I have been generally described as having no / limited insight - when I was 'unwell' (dependent on various substances / depressed / suicidal attempts and experiments / paranoid etc) I would argue coherently (though probably not, in retrospect) that I had insight, and why others would say I didn't.

Now I actually am better (I think) - clean, holding down a job, managing daily life and pretty much liking it - I need to 'prove' I have insight to get back to my goal (I was training as an AHCP). But after going on about how much insight I had, when, in retrospect I was really quite unwell (and went on to get worse) how can I prove that I really have insight, rather than my claiming to have insight being part of my lack of insight (which has been an accusation at a tribunal in the past).

Very confused by this! Help?

Joe
You cant prove you have insight. You can demonstrate it though. Psychiatrists are prone to believe that a patient has insight if they reflect (express verbally) ideas to themselves (the psychiatrist) that they already believe without the patient having been asked to express them.

In other words you have to show that you share the psychiatrists view point about yourself and do this without being asked.

In other, other words your job at a tribunal is to agree that you did not have insight in the past but you feel that you do now. From there it is just fingers crossed.....

Hope that helps...

D

Devon

Insight is all about understanding yourself, your problems and how they interact.
However, insight can come and go. Sometimes, for example, I can assess myself and my MH issues critically and discuss them. Other times I am just "totally wibble" !!