• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Input gratefully received

R

riverofdragons

I have been struggling with finding new hobbies, activities and exercise opportunities that feel right for me. I often find it difficult to go places at busy times or join groups on my own and I think that there are a lot of people with mental health issues who feel the same way.

So, I am building a guide to activites in my area with the information that is is often hard to find but cruicial for us.

Please can I have your ideas and input?

So far I have come up with the following points:

- need to know the quiet times of local facilities like pools, pubs, theme parks, museums, etc

- many people on benefits cannot afford activites. details of low cost activites and concessions would be useful.

- activites for the family, especially during school holidays. Which are quiet and friendly?

- lack motivation to organise outings

- afraid of going to groups and meeting new people. What is it like when you walk into a certain group for the first time?

So....

Is there any information that you feel you would need when trying to take part in an activity, go on a outing, join clubs, exercise etc?????????

What woulkd help you to get involved in activities?

What do you need?

Thanks for you help in advance.

D

Dollit

I've just seen this post. I'm active in my neighbourhood partnership and we're just beginning to work with the Mental Health trust, PCT and Turning Point to try and make activities more inclusive for people with mental health issues.

We're just at the start of this but I'll gladly share information with you.

G

grace68

i'm really interested in this too,

i can identify totally with your points, river of dragons.

our council does organise quite a lot of free activities for children, and a couple of the local museums are free, and have special holiday activities.
the problem is ( and i can't see a way round this ) that these are always 'chock-a-block'- and parental supervision is required - so it's quite an ordeal, sometimes just about manageable, other times not.

i feel totally alone, as a mum with mental health problems. a local support group for parents with mental health problems would be really helpful. a bit like 'gingerbread'- (a support group for single parents) where they have organised outings (i should imagine, especially in the school holidays).

R

riverofdragons

Knowing some of the staff at museums in Cambridge we have in the past been able to open after hours for visits. Now not everywhere would agree to this but it is possible.

Support group is a fantastic idea too - could also mean group bookings of venues (sports halls, soft play areas, etc) so that the kids can have a good time while the parents relax and meet new people.