• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Inpatient units?

nopurchases

nopurchases

I have recently spent time in the hospital on the psychiatric ward. I do well in this setting and I considering going into a residential program. I am wondering if anyone has had experiences with these types of programs and whether or not you would recommend it or not.

D

Dollit

By residential program do you mean the sort of place where you have your own space but there's a qualified member of staff on the premises? In the UK this is called supported housing.

nopurchases

nopurchases

Well I am in Canada. and I am am 18 and that means I am still in the childrens health system until I am 19. At least for mental health stuff.

But that sounds about right, I have been hospitalized in pysch ward setting 7 times in the past year and after my last ten day stay they offered me a spot in ACT (adolescent centre for treatment) it is sort of a dorm like setting but yes there is 24hr care with full nursing, OT, psychologists and psychiatry staff. I mean i think it sounds good and I can see the potential benefits but I am just worried if spending 6 months in that artificle setting will make the real world any harder. I guess I was just wondering it anyone had done any sort of similar program and would recommend it... or whether it was a set back..

T

Twylight

No , I don't think 6 months would cause you to become institutionalised

BUT, I don't know how well off you would be financialy - they sometimes leave you with little money

D

Dollit

If the treatment facility is any good then they shouldn't keep you for 6 months and then throw you back into the mainstream world. Ask questions about how you'll be introduced back into the "real" world and about your fears. You have every right to ask questions.

nopurchases

nopurchases

Other options... I wish, I feel like I have already used them all. Been in a weekly outpatient therapy setting for 2 years, spent six months of the past year in a Day treatment facility and like I mentioned I have been hospitalized for acute periods 7 times. I have also taken part in a teen anxiety group and just last week finished a mood management group.I think this is the best option and during my assessment interview I plan to ask a million questions. I just know how far back even a week in the hospital has put me, and I know this is probably the 'safest' route for me right now. I am just scared. Hmm, I am not even sure what my question is anymore.

P.S. Yes twilight it is like -10000 degrees here, I would give anything to live in a warm climate.