• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Inpatient stays suck!

N

Nate

I've been to many pych hospital's so I'm kinda an expert. First thing you do is go to the emergency room where they can access you, you have to give blood so they can rule out any physical problems. Then you have to spill out your guts to the emergency room doctor so he can refer you to mental health. Now you wait in a room for hours waiting for the pychiatrist to come and talk to you, then if he or she thinks you should be admitted they call up to the pych ward and they get ready to except you. Once you enter the pych ward it can be pretty scary, strange people are walking around in a medicated daze some are talking to themselves but most seem like normal people with mental issues. The staff will get you acclimated to your surroundings then they show you to your room and your bed, and that's pretty much the end of your conversation with the staff, now you will only interact with them when you need med's or they tell you it's time to eat. The doctor will see you the next morning with the treatment team which consist of a nurse and social worker as well as the pychiatrist. This is when they plug you full of drug's after you tell them your issues. After you meet with the team you go back to your room and stare at the ceiling and you get into your head because your so bored. If your lucky they will have groups to go to which break up the day and make it go faster. Bottom line is that your put in a hospital prison where there's not much to do, your fed and watered and drugged it's not a very happy place. I hope that I can stay healthy and stay away from any more hospital stays.

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
I've been to many pych hospital's so I'm kinda an expert. First thing you do is go to the emergency room where they can access you, you have to give blood so they can rule out any physical problems. Then you have to spill out your guts to the emergency room doctor so he can refer you to mental health. Now you wait in a room for hours waiting for the pychiatrist to come and talk to you, then if he or she thinks you should be admitted they call up to the pych ward and they get ready to except you. Once you enter the pych ward it can be pretty scary, strange people are walking around in a medicated daze some are talking to themselves but most seem like normal people with mental issues. The staff will get you acclimated to your surroundings then they show you to your room and your bed, and that's pretty much the end of your conversation with the staff, now you will only interact with them when you need med's or they tell you it's time to eat. The doctor will see you the next morning with the treatment team which consist of a nurse and social worker as well as the pychiatrist. This is when they plug you full of drug's after you tell them your issues. After you meet with the team you go back to your room and stare at the ceiling and you get into your head because your so bored. If your lucky they will have groups to go to which break up the day and make it go faster. Bottom line is that your put in a hospital prison where there's not much to do, your fed and watered and drugged it's not a very happy place. I hope that I can stay healthy and stay away from any more hospital stays.
I hope you stay well and not need to go back in too.

Same for me, i have had a very bad time in there too. One wasn't as bad as the others but they were so bad i am feeling my heart racing just writing this.

If you can get absorbed by something like a game, a book, art, anything to occupy your mind, an instrument, it is easier.

G

goodgollymiss

It's easier to learn the ukulele than the guitar

D

damagedgoods1973

i had a bad expirence not to long ago .. not going to say the name of the place but i will tell you the short of it . i was in a really bad place and i needed help so i ended up at the hospital .. no shocker there . but i was verbally assulted by another client from the moment i got there . and well the so called staff did nothing about it . then i finally get to the floor where they stick you . and seemed like a normal place . then i got accused of hitting the wall and they have it on video . well i said prove it and of course they laughed and mocked me . yeah they were a big help i will suffer before going back .. uggg

B

bucnasty

ive been in secure units nhs and private for over 6 years the only reason i can post here is cos i have a phone which i shouldnt have

jail is better than indefinite drugging and incarceration

Tricky Trauma

I have only been inpatient once in my life and it was when I was an adolescent. It definitely was no vacation that is for damn sure, but did I learn a lot while I was in there I sure did. I do hope I never get to that point where I have to go back as now I would be an adult and I am not sure what the differences are with that, but I hope I don't have to find out.