• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

• Safety Notice: This section on Psychiatric Drugs/Medications enables people to share their personal experiences of using such drugs/medications. Always seek the advice of your doctor, psychiatrist or other qualified health professional before making any changes to your medications or with any questions you may have regarding drugs/medications. In considering coming off psychiatric drugs it is very important that you are aware that most psychiatric drugs can cause withdrawal reactions, sometimes including life-threatening emotional and physical withdrawal problems. In short, it is not only dangerous to start taking psychiatric drugs, it can also be dangerous to stop them. Withdrawal from psychiatric drugs should only be done carefully under experienced clinical supervision.

injected antipsychotic med

S

stingy nettle

Hi
I am new here but have cared for my son with mh problems for over 3 years.
He was on depixol injection but had terrible side effects so was put on oral olanzapine.
He has remained stable for approx 18 months but recently relapsed.
Psychiatrist wants him to try abilify injection & I am really worried those awful side effects will return.
Any advice/information/ experiences very gratefully received.

Lincoln1990

Lincoln1990

In my opinion I wouldn't trust abilify as an injection until he tries it orally. I had a horrific side effect and if it were an injection it would have taken a lot longer for me to recover than it did.

S

stingy nettle

Hi & thanks for your reply. My son has taken abilify orally when first diagnosed 3 years ago and did well on it. They want him to take it again orally for 2 weeks before switching to injections. I know abilify is different to depixol but I am still so worried. Just want him to be well.

Lincoln1990

Lincoln1990

I just get nervous about depot injections. however if he already has taken it and had no issues then I can see why they want him to take it again

F

flatz

If he does go on Abilify Injection they will probably do a test dose of oral abilify for any side effects first.

This is what they do with risperidone/paliperidone.

porkpie

porkpie

I'm on IM abilify 400mg monthly injections. I was previously on oral abilify with no side effects but lacked compliance with taking it. I don't get any untoward side effects but still suffer negative symptoms such as depression.

S

stingy nettle

I am really nervous about injections too especially as i/m depixol was so bad for him. Yes they plan to test dose him for 2 weeks with oral abilify initially. Its encouraging to know you are on abilify injections with no real side effects. My son takes venlafaxine antidepressant also.
Thank you for all your replies.

porkpie

porkpie

I am really nervous about injections too especially as i/m depixol was so bad for him. Yes they plan to test dose him for 2 weeks with oral abilify initially. Its encouraging to know you are on abilify injections with no real side effects. My son takes venlafaxine antidepressant also.
Thank you for all your replies.
I think if he's tolerated oral abilify well before chances are he will tolerate the IM does well too.