Information

L

lrider871

I believe my boyfriend is schizophrenic he tells me he hears voices in his head telling him things and I'm confused I'd like to know more about it

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
What confuses you the most about someone hearing voices?

Has he been diagnosed as a schizophrenic and is seeing a doctor and getting medication?

What sort of things does his voices tell him?

I'm a voice hearer with three years experience, it sounds like your own thoughts but not exactly, it's hard to explain to someone who hasn't heard voices before.

Before medication I could hear mine in my ears aswell as my mind so it sounded like someone is in the room with you and electronic appliances that make a noise (washer, dryer, fans etc..)could speak to me aswell which is called electronic voice phenomenon (EVP).

I hear just the one voice now, he used to pretend to be multiple people by changing his voice (male and female and different accents) but now he's just singular since I figured out what and who he really is.

If you want any more information I'd be happy to tell you more.

L

lrider871

Ok so you say since you figured out who he really is...you mean who the voice is? I'm confused. My mother was bipolar with schitzo tendencies...like she was molested and saw hands everywhere and heard a negative voice basically telling her she was bad...my fiance seems more to have a voice telling him I'm bad and lying and cheating and there is really no reasoning. I can actually see in his eyes when the voice is telling him stuff. Mental health is very interesting to me as I am a severe trauma victim
..molested beaten neglected by my mother her boyfriend husband all my boy cousins and my brother and first boyfriend...

L

lrider871

Oh and I'm pretty sure he has borderline personality disorder also...anyone have both? I see his struggle daily. But it's killing me

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
molested beaten neglected by my mother her boyfriend husband all my boy cousins and my brother and first boyfriend...
I'm sorry for what you've been through, it must be hard contending with your own demons and now your fiancé has demons of his own. You must care for him very deeply not to split at the first sign of trouble.

my fiance seems more to have a voice telling him I'm bad and lying and cheating and there is really no reasoning.
My voice used to lie to me all the time about things, like me your fiancé needs to come to the understanding that his voice is lying to him and to challenge everything he says which is not easy when you lack insight, medication will help him do this, not only does it lower the volume of voices it weakens the voices connections to our minds as they can influence us with more than just words they can do it with feelings as well.

I'd definitely try to get him to see a doctor and get some anti-psychotics, they really do help and voices hate this type of medication, mine is always trying to get me to come off of them and I'm on a lot of medication (5mg Aripiprazole and 4mg Risperidone) to prevent him harming me as they can do much more than just talk and to help me cope with him talking all the time as he never shuts up.

boudreauj4

boudreauj4

There are many different diagnoses that the person could be hearing voices....schizophrenia, schizoaffective disorder, bipolar with psychosis, depression with psychosis, borderline personality disorder, and there are more. If his hearing voices is causing him to have a hard time functioning in life then maybe he should see a doctor.

L

lrider871

I'm sorry for what you've been through, it must be hard contending with your own demons and now your fiancé has demons of his own. You must care for him very deeply not to split at the first sign of trouble.

My voice used to lie to me all the time about things, like me your fiancé needs to come to the understanding that his voice is lying to him and to challenge everything he says which is not easy when you lack insight, medication will help him do this, not only does it lower the volume of voices it weakens the voices connections to our minds as they can influence us with more than just words they can do it with feelings as well.

I'd definitely try to get him to see a doctor and get some anti-psychotics, they really do help and voices hate this type of medication, mine is always trying to get me to come off of them and I'm on a lot of medication (5mg Aripiprazole and 4mg Risperidone) to prevent him harming me as they can do much more than just talk and to help me cope with him talking all the time as he never shuts up.
I love him and I don't feel like it's his fault he feels as he does he we as abused as a child like me. I am just more in touch with my demons I siuffer from certain things too just not as extreme as him...my life has been one catastrophe after another so it has made me strong...but I'm tired

L

lrider871

There are many different diagnoses that the person could be hearing voices....schizophrenia, schizoaffective disorder, bipolar with psychosis, depression with psychosis, borderline personality disorder, and there are more. If his hearing voices is causing him to have a hard time functioning in life then maybe he should see a doctor.
Thank you I will look into it more. Am trying to convince him to tell his doctor the issues so hopefully they can figure something out