• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Influenza and hospitalized, got an anti depressant prescribed during my stay

mom j

mom j

Oh my heavens , I'm really going through some times here. I've been very sick with pneumonia and influenza B. I was dragged out in an ambulance and admitted to the hospital. Turned out the reason I couldnt breath and the panic attack that ensued is because I was stricken with the flu.

The doctor really made me feel like he listened to me. Havent had that kind of bed side manner in a long time Anyhow. I revealed to him that when the ambulance was on its way..... I had already resolved that I was dying and I just leaned over and waited for it to happen. It was soooooooooo awful. I feel like crying right now just thinking about it. It was a couple of weeks ago.

The doc recommended I take an anti depressant .... plus I was on several other remedies for the flu and pneumonia. But I have so many things riding on my weak shoulders that I must be wearing it right on my forehead. :(

Then a couple of nights ago, I had another spell of atral fib and that escalated into panic and anothr ambulance trip. I felt so embarrassed and depressed because I am in such poor condition and cant walk right now. I had a fasciotomy (limb saving procedure) at the end of June and I am no where near walking yet.

I Just needed to share this. thank you. I'm very sad right now and have no outlet for this kind of message.

bpd2020

bpd2020

I am so sorry you have been through all this. What a scary time it must have been. It sounds like you had a lovely doctor. Please do not be embarrassed for not being able to walk. You cannot help that. I hope the antidepressant kicks in soon.

mom j

mom j

Thank you. I am hoping that AD kicks in. I was on this same one back in the 1990s while I was going through some rough living times. It helped my mind to calm down and my mood to be a little better.... at least that is what I believe. Thank you so much. Yes. that doctor.... I wish there was a way for him to stay as precious as he is right now. Time (and people) will take a toll on him. I live in USA, and he is a transplant from Canada. He does not know what little bit of time he spent with me really helped.

I don't want to discount doctors and their service, but we all know that some of them are better at handling people..... some are just checked out.... it really takes a strong person to go into the medical field. I have had / seen some docs who I've just felt like rolling my eyes at, lol!! but Im sure they have felt the same way about my craziness at times.

bpd2020

bpd2020

It can take 6 weeks for it to kick in so do not worry if it has not happened just yet. It is always such a nice feeling to meet a kind and nice person. It does make everything feel much better.

P

Prycejosh1987

The doc recommended I take an anti depressant .... plus I was on several other remedies for the flu and pneumonia. But I have so many things riding on my weak shoulders that I must be wearing it right on my forehead. :(
It seems you need more work than just being prescribed medication. If you have to go hospital again. In the beginning of my mental issues, i went down the same road. Be open and honest in every way and you will get more attention and they will make sure you find success.

ParxSP

ParxSP

So sorry to hear of your problems but you are in the right place and will get lots of support on here. Take care.