• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Infantilism

D

diaperme

Hi I'm a normal straight guy in every way , except i have a weird desire to wear diapers. It think it stemmed from something that happened in my childhood, but i was never abused or anything like that. I've been struggling with it for most of my life, and I finally told my wife. She still loves me, but hates it and wants to help me get over it. She thinks its really weird, and it really worries her.
Let me make one thing known. I am not a pedophile or have any desires like that, that is just sick. I just like to wear diapers, it comforts me and is a good stress relief. Part of me really wants this urge to go away, but part of me also enjoys it so much i want to still do it. My wife won't let me and i don't want to hurt her in any way or risk her leaving me for it, so i won't do it. But it's really hard sometimes. I need help.

S

*Sapphire*

Hi and :welcome: to the forum.

Infantilism is not rare by any means, and as you said it is not usually linked to pedophillic tendencies or activities.

From what I know of it, it has two functions, 1) to fulfill part of a desire to be a child again, or an aspect of being a child that brings you comfort, or to the extreme to be cared and nurtured and completely dependent on somoene elses care and/or 2) It is a sexual fetish which fulfills a sexual desire you have. I guess you only know what desire it fulfills.

Unfortunately from what I can gather not alot of research has been done to look at the reasons why people have these desires, it could be due to some abuse or trauma you may have experienced as a child, or perhaps it fulfills a need you have that you feel can't be fulfilled in other aspects of your life, a reaction to stress, or simply you find it erotic perhaps due to you linking it to an erotic incident somehow. There may be other causes, I would suspect you would need to look introspectively at where it is coming from.

Unfortunately there is no overall cure for infantilism, some therapies and approaches work for some but not everyone. Some people grow out of it (even in their 50s), some people find that if they are allowed to wear diapers and it is accepted that the desire goes because it is no longer exciting or secretive. Some never get over it.

I guess if you want to try to find out where it is coming from and if you can overcome your desire then some form of talking therapy or regression to look into your childhood would be involved.

It may be helpful to wear them for a while and seeing if the desire naturally disappears as the excitement and comfort from it might decrease. You might also see the reality of wearing them is not as comforting as you thought, as they are bound to be uncomfortable, itchy, hot and sweaty. It may be that you just built it up to be great in your mind and the reality is very different.

In saying that you may find you want to wear them forever. Who knows.

In all honesty I think if my husband started wearing diapers I would find that difficult. I would do my upmost to understand it, but for me I think it would make him appear less sexually desirable to me. I know this is wrong in one way because if he had to start wearing them because of a physical problem I would have no problems, but it is the fact that he wants to do something that involves a kind of mental age regression. I would question whether he sees me as a surrogate mother figure rather than his wife, and would raise many questions for me about our relationship and how I view him and how he views himself. But who knows I am not in that situation so have no idea how I would react and I guess it would depend on his reasons for doing it and the conversations we had around it.

I would ask him though to try and go through a process of trying to understand where it is coming from, and what needs this desire fulfills either through therapy, memory regression or self help, and whether he can fulfill that desire or need in other healthy and not damaging ways.

Thank you for sharing this, I am sure there are others out there who have the same issue and may find comfort that you have been brave enough to talk about it here.

I have also found a website that talks about it in more depth and highlights literature that you might find helpful

http://understanding.infantilism.org/

Last edited:
B

babyme

I have the same problem. I keep having the desire to be completely babied, but my husband is against it and I don't want to hurt/damage our marriage. I love the idea of being treated like a helpless little baby. I started feeling like this when I was three or four years old, after I had been potty trained and stopped using baby things altogether.

What kind of therapy would you recommend for infantilism? Do you know of a specific therapist in the San Antonio, Texas area who specializes helping people with infantilism, please? I need advice and help on curing it so, I would appreciate any help you can offer.

S

stillindiapers

I, too, am an infantilist. I've struggled with it for decades. I've been to a myriad of counselors but to no avail. I guess they don't know what to do with this. I am seeking a cure, a way to overcome this. Anyone have any success in doing that?

S

stillindiapers

Just wondered if babyme had found any help with her issue

dermild

dermild

Do you have a high-power job with a TON of stress?

I've heard that infantilism is a way of psychologically removing that stress on a temporary basis. I'm sure it's more complicated than that, but this seems like one reasonable possibility out of many others.

S

stillindiapers

Life IS very stressful right now. I'm at a very low point. I wear diapers also because I wet my pants (and worse). It's all tied together and has been an issue for decades. I fight it every day but have very limited, short-term success.