• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Independant 2nd July

P

Paranoid MisterE

Just been watching bbc news and they were looking at the headlines for tomorrow.
There is an article on the link between Schizophrenia and Manic Depression and scientists think they have made a breakthrough in the way it could be treated. Might be worth a read, think i will buy 1.

P

Paranoid MisterE

ah right it worked! :clap:

A

Apotheosis

A interesting article - what stood out was this -

"However, what we've found so far explains only a tiny fraction of the total risk of schizophrenia. Some of us were surprised to find that not only did these genes contribute to schizophrenia but they also contribute to bipolar disorder. So that really suggests that the two disorders are not really as distinct as we thought in psychiatry."
& this -

The condition is known to have a strong inherited component, accounting for about 80 per cent of the total risk, but it is also influenced by upbringing and environment.
"Discoveries such as these are crucial for teasing out the biology of the disease and making it possible for us to begin to develop drugs targeting the underlying causes and not just the symptoms of the disease,"
If they can get to what the underlying causes actually are - then that would be a breakthrough.

Bluemoon

Bluemoon

Founding Member
The Independent article is a lot more in depth than the BBC news one, but the BBC tend to keep most of their articles concise. I'm so glad that so much progress is being made :clap: - I just hope they can rid me of voices before I hit pension age :D.