Increased suicidal thoughts on ADs

T

Trueblue

Has anyone who has experienced increased suicidal thoughts on antidepressants gone on to find an antidepressant that did not have that affect on them? Or is it a case of if you already have suicidal thoughts then any antidepressant will intensify that? My friend is terrified to try another antidepressant (having tried 6)as they initially cause her to act on her suicidal thoughts

Hopeful313

Hopeful313

Hi @Trueblue

I am sorry that your friend is going through this. It’s terrifying to be in this situation.

Does your friend have anxiety? The reason I am asking is because I have a friend who’s a psychiatrist who I had a conversation with about medications that might increase the chance of suicide or suicidal thoughts.

The conversation started because I was in a dire situation. I was suffering from intrusive thoughts and fear of hurting myself. I was afraid of medication for the same reason your friend is having.

He explained that a person who suffers from extreme depression and lacks energy and motivation to do anything, antidepressants may give them that lift up feeling and a bit of energy to act on their thoughts and that’s why the patient has to watch for signs or be monitored.

You mentioned your friend is terrified of trying new medications and this is a good sign that your friend is taking preventative measures. I’ve been in the exact same situation.
Your friend needs to see a therapist and she should be very open about her fears so she can get the right diagnosis. I suspect that your friend also suffers from intrusive thoughts beside depression.

I hope she feels better soon.

K

Kitty kat

I had an antidepressant that made me feel suicidal,. I was not like it before I went on it
I took myself off the antidepressant, I told Dr and they told me it's good I founf that out and realized it was the antidepressant

T

Trueblue

Thanks so much for replying.
Yes my friend has severe anxiety and suicidal thoughts. They feel they have control (just about) to not act on them but the antidepressants definitely cause them to attempt suicide.
Funding a good therapist would be fantastic but we have been unsuccessful in getting access to one via the NHS (we're in the UK) or privately.
Do you mind me asking which antidepressant you had success with?

K

Kitty kat

Hi I am in UK to, to be honest I've not been on anti depressant for 12 years I had one hell of a time from one to a nother they all had terrible side effects
The one I believe back then was taken off the market. Because people was attempting suicide, I had these thoughts I acted bizzare on them I took myself off them. It was just the antidepressant making me like it. I was ok then I not remember the name. They where leathal 🙄

Hopeful313

Hopeful313

Thanks so much for replying.
Yes my friend has severe anxiety and suicidal thoughts. They feel they have control (just about) to not act on them but the antidepressants definitely cause them to attempt suicide.
Funding a good therapist would be fantastic but we have been unsuccessful in getting access to one via the NHS (we're in the UK) or privately.
Do you mind me asking which antidepressant you had success with?
You are very welcome 🙏

I am on Escitalopram, the generic type of Lexapro. I take 30mg once a day. It saved my life. I wish I’ve taken it sooner.

Sometimes, the patient has to adjust their dose to see a real effect.

I would like to mention that there’s a DNA test specific for medications. It serves as a guideline on which medication may or may not be suitable for the patient. It can also show which medication may cause allergic reaction. Your friend can request that test as well.

People react differently to medications. What works for me may not work for others and this should be taken into consideration. Dealing with mental disorders is not easy and requires patience and trials until you find your treatment. That also requires finding the source of the problem.

frogsplash

frogsplash

hi Trueblue could you list the medications she has tried?
i am wondering if they are all from the same family of meds (they are all ssri meds which she previously tried)?

in which case perhaps instead she can try some other meds, for example atypical meds instead (some examples are: buproprion, trazodone, pregabalin, agomelatine, mirtazapine .. ) ps. speaking from personal experience it is very low chances that pregabalin, and agomelatine would increase suicidal thoughts (especially when comparing to the more usual ssri meds, which unfortunately do have a bit of a bad reputation with regards to the various side effects many people get from those more common meds)

T

Trueblue

Yes @frogsplash that was what I was also wondering. She's tried fluoxetine, citalopram, seroxat, sertraline, duloxetine and now offered venlafaxine. Thanks for the suggestions of others.

T

Trueblue

Thank you @Hopeful313. I've heard a few recommendations of escitalopram. That's great you've found something that works for you. The DNA test is an interesting avenue to explore.

P

purpleorchid

I had many many unpleasant side effects on sertraline but I actually don't recall feeling suicidal, just numb. I'm not on any antidepressants now but i do feel suicidal, but tbh i don't want to go back on them because I'd rather feel something (even if it's negative) than nothing at all