• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

incapacity benefit

unlucky

unlucky

Founding Member
I've been on Incapacity Benefit for almost 2 years and still pay for my prescriptions and dental treatment - should I be getting it free? I've always wondered about this. Also I've been reading about this ESA and to be honest I've never heard of it before now - has it come into force yet? So far I've never even been for an interview so will I be required to do so now? I don't go out on my own so its a bit of a daunting thought.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
Theres what's called the means test for free prescriptions, incapacity benefit used to be non means tested, if you get income on top your incoming income may be higher than the means test threshold in which case you'll have to pay

I'm on means tested benefits

I'm going for an eye test tommorrow the eye test will be free then i'll get a voucher towards the cost of glasses, it'll pay for a cheap pair but if i want a better pair i'll have to pay something on top.

I thoroughly hate the benefit system, just phoned a mental health advocacy place, got a mentally il receptionist who gets off on treating the people who phone up as worse than him, by a convoluted process i'll need a reference from the place to help with the benefit claim

honeyquince

honeyquince

Founding Member
I've just had to renew my incapacity benefit and am living in fear of a possible medical. My understanding of the whole prescription thing is that as IB is not means tested it is not sufficient to get free prescriptions. I use the prepayment certificate and pay about ten pounds a month instead of the seventy pounds it would have cost.

unlucky

unlucky

Founding Member
Oooh, thats a bit of a worry - if its means tested do you think they'll take my husbands salary into account? Incapacity benefit and child benefit are the only income I have - jeez if they take my hubbys salary into account we'll be skint!! I know where you're coming from with some people - I hate going to see my counsellor, I walk in and there are 3 receptionists who basically just ignore me until they can be bothered - by the time they deign to acknowledge me I'm nearly in a full blown panic attack!! Then I see my psychiatrist and he tells me I should go for massages and hypnotherapy - unfortunately I don't have his salary to do these things!! Sometimes you wonder what planet these so called health care professionals live on!! I can't leave the house alone and he wants me to let a complete stranger rub my back - flipping clueless!

Hopefully your eyesight hasn't got any worse and you won't have to fork out for new glasses!!

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
They will as far as i know take your husbands salary into account with income support a means tested benefit, guess incapacity is still not means tested.

My mind befriender he was married and not working though his wife was working and was getting benefits, either they didn't know his wife was living with him, or the clarks trest diferent sexes differently

Used to say to him "your either sick or your a scrouger" one nice comment someone made about me

R

Rosemarry

Incapacity Benefit is only paid to existing claimants and is for people of working age who cannot work because of illness or disability and who are not entitled to Statutory Sick Pay, or Statutory Sick Pay has run out. Entitlement usually depends upon your National Insurance record (except some young adults), and may be subject to a medical assessment. From October 2008 Employment Support Allowance replaced Incapacity Benefit for new claimants.