Incapacity Benefit Worries

J

january

I hope you dont mind me starting this as my own thread - I already posted it in the "Sticky" but wasn't sure it would get read there so here goes. All help very much appreciated.

I was signed off with Incapacity Benefit by the benefits Medical Officer last December 2007. In December 2008 they sent me a new questionnaire to complete.

When I orignally filled one in I never kept a copy and was in such a state I cannot remember what I put down.

Can someone tell me if I need to fill in any of the physical questions or do I go straight to the Anxiety Depression etc section?

I suffer from depression, and there is a family history. I became a gambling addict and it came to a head in 0ct 2006 when I found myself owing over £50k to banks and credit cards. I came crashing down and was on two bottles of spirits a day. I lost my job and kept betting imtermittenly and drinking. In Nov 2007 I hit rock bottom and tried to take my life - I was hospitalised having taken my full dose of sleeping pills.

In the subsequent 13 months my GP put me on a different drug, Citalopram and Temazepan as my sleep has been dire. More recently he has doubled my dose of Citalopram and I am on 10mg of Temazpam every 3 days.

I am no longer suicidal but I still feel very depressed most days, I feel paranoid and ashamed in company, I have no friends left and my only real support is my landlady who has been very good because she is a christian and pities my plight.

I am feeling very stressed about this questionnaire because I am scared they will cut my benefits if I dont say the right thing, especially with all this media coverage about them trying to force people on this benefit back to work.

I hope to work again but at the moment my mental health is poor - I cannot keep my attention for any period of time, and I feel very sensitive to the slightest thing a person says to me - dwelling on it for hours as I lie awake at night.

Any advice is warmly appreciated.

thanks
january is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message

J

january

Thank you Apotheosis, I think that is exactly what I needed. I will give it some focus tomorrow.