• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

incapacity benefit change protest Action

T

telemetry9

The government is going to introduce new and harsh changes to incapacity benefit from April 2010. Mind and other mental health charities have already voiced concerns over the changes.
The arbitrary and hit and miss diagnosis of mental illness may see many people forced onto Jobseeker's allowance without further help when these changes become active.
All claimants will be forced into a "work capability assessment" assuming that everyone will be able to communicate the full onslaught of mental illness upon their lives to those "adjudicating".
If you wish to protest at these measures then please contact your local mp by email or letter. There are conflicting reports about the changes but you can google most of the facts for yourself.
I'm hoping that a growing number of people will protest against these lazy and prejudicial proposals that fail to act on the real culprits of poor mental health care and practice in the NHS.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
The disability centre had a meeting with Dawn Butler my mp about the benefit to work proposols, i got the impression from it that she had sympathy for the self harm women who turned up in bandages and blood but had little sympathy for me.

She did send me a copy of a letter from the minister, since then all the promises in that letter eg not effecting present claimants have been broken

T

telemetry9

changes to benefits

I'm sorry to hear that but it doesn't surprise me. As you just mentioned; the changes were initially for new claimants (still unacceptable) but that has been changed to all incapacity claimants.
It's obvious that the government feel it's ok to target people with mental illness rather than do the hard work of improving mental health care in this country.
Already; a large number of people with mental health problems already feel undeserving of benefits that are rightly theirs because of the guilty and anxiety that are often a part of their illness. Were is the sensitivity of the Government and true concern towards people who already find daily life a struggle?
Of course - Government representatives just love to quote how wonderful it will be for half the incapacity claimants to return to the work place and or jobseeker's Allowance.
They already know that two thirds of people who claim Jobseeker's are long term unemployed or people who fall back into the system after repeated attempts at employment.
Don't be fooled into thinking the changes to Incapacity Benefit have anything to do with humanity or altruistic efforts to help the vulnerable into employment. They are all about cynically targeting the vulnerable in society and manipulating the Incapacity Benefit figures.
But forums like this will help in letting people know the reality of what is happening and maybe more and more people will see how cruel these changes potentially are.
Maybe we can change things or shout loud enough to stop people who deserve better than more checks and rules being targeted at them when enough exist already.

R

Roxy

Founding Member
I agree wholeheartedly with the above post although some of the blame has also to be laid at the doors of gp's who fail to properly diagnose our mental health problems, which leaves us particularly vulnerable when called up for medical assessments. I know this to my detriment as I was left financially bereft on £44 wkly for over nearly eighteen months and am possibly about to face the whole nightmare procedure all over again. Its also about the horrendous feeling of not being believed by the doctors chosen by dwp which leave you feeling even more worthless and frightened beyond belief. My last experience was something I would not wish on my worst enemy, the female doctor left me in such a state that I considered taking my own life, but on reflection decided that I would not let them win. I believe that my human rights were violated, as probably were many others, but there seems to be no recompense as no matter how often you appeal, you are met with deaf ears, something has to be done to prevent these situations from continuously arising.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Has it been stated who will be included in this 'return to work' scheme. I have been signed off permanantly and do not need to send sick notes in any more. Surely that means ive already been assesed as unfit for work permenantly. Are they now trying to say the DWP got it wrong and i may be able to return to work in the future. Other people i know have been issued with 5year sick notes, so i do understand they will be reassesed and that is fair enough.

Last year i was called into the job centre for an interview, and as soon as she saw the psychs letters and that i was under the hospital she said that i wouldnt be called in again and that she had seen proof enough that i was ill.

I wish they would make there mind up

T

telemetry9

IB changes

I have been obsessing about these changes but they aren't active until April 2010 but I just can't get the thought of being judged and assessed out of my head.

It's a big fear of mine as I know it is for lots of people. I'm going to have to try and stop thinking about it.

I tend to think of the worst possible scenario happening to me and being judged or evaluated wrongly by people who don't know how my life has been affected by mental illness. I don't know if I can explain it all again to another bunch of people.

I tell myself that 2 years is a long way off and a lot can happen in that time. I've been talking to my family about my anxiety about this but I don't think they understand how much I am tortured by the thoughts in my head of being judged by a cold hearted group of people.

nickh

nickh

Founding Member
Has it been stated who will be included in this 'return to work' scheme. I have been signed off permanently and do not need to send sick notes in any more. Surely that means ive already been assesed as unfit for work permenantly. Are they now trying to say the DWP got it wrong and i may be able to return to work in the future. Other people i know have been issued with 5year sick notes, so i do understand they will be reassesed and that is fair enough.

Last year i was called into the job centre for an interview, and as soon as she saw the psychs letters and that i was under the hospital she said that i wouldnt be called in again and that she had seen proof enough that i was ill.

I wish they would make there mind up
daffy as I understand it from 2010 onwards the Govt will start a programme of interviewing all IB claimants - we will be assessed by a doctor to see if we are fit for work. It is this which makes me, like telemetry, already very anxious and very angry. The point is that I can imagine the whole process making me really ill. In fact I am sure that part of the Government's intention is that some people with mental health problems will be so worried and intimidated by the process that they will just not go though with it in case it brings on an attack and so will give up their benefit.

Nick.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Nick, i understand what your saying, but what i was querying was about the people that dont send sick notes in. Are they going to have to start sending notes in again, when they have already been told by the hospital they will never work again.

yakuza

yakuza

Founding Member
I think it is bordering on criminal that this proposal will come into force.

My advice to anyone is to get as much medical back up as possible up before any new assessments commence.

T

telemetry9

It isn't going to happen until April 2010. Even at this point it has been said by quite a few people that there will be so many appeals as to make the system unworkable.

This site has the best explanation of it: http://www.cmt.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=314&Itemid=254

But the more I have been thinking about this change to Incapacity Benefit - maybe it will be a pandora's box for the government and actually work to the advantage of those of us who live with mental illness. But it's early days and a lot can happen in two years.

yakuza

yakuza

Founding Member
Thanks for the link,it makes interesting reading.

I have been under the impression that the claimants the government are aiming to get back into work are mainly people with physical illnesses.
We all know that MI affects physical well being but like you say,it comes into force in 2010.
All I would suggest is be as prepared as you can be by getting medical back up so you know what you are doing once they commence with this.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
I've been called in before and put to the question, so maybe it'll be the same, a friend of a friend was called in and the DWP dr said "If you were really ill you'd have someone with you " when he argued he said "If you were really ill you wouldn't be able to argue" maybe it's the company i keep

If they're using such an approach i just hope i've got someone with me and the mental health workers aren't prioritising those they represent and concentrating on those under an aftercare section of the mental health act

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
I've been called in before and put to the question, so maybe it'll be the same, a friend of a friend was called in and the DWP dr said "If you were really ill you'd have someone with you " when he argued he said "If you were really ill you wouldn't be able to argue" maybe it's the company i keep

If they're using such an approach i just hope i've got someone with me and the mental health workers aren't prioritising those they represent and concentrating on those under an aftercare section of the mental health act
If your called in again ask your SW or CPN to go with you. Mine has always said the stress of these things does more harm than good.

What bugs me tho is why do they always go for the sick/disabled. Get the ones that have 5 kids to different fathers back to work and get the CSA to chase the baby making fathers, instead of letting everyone else pay for them:mad:

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
Don't get me on problem familys, having been harrrassed in my last area by problem kids, my views are more extreme than Hitlers, personally i'd sterilise them before it got to that stage and if that includes sterilising me as a potential father, i'l accept that

They can't target the parents because it'd be innocent kids that would sufer

Last thing the analyst who encouraged me to try to get better said was "it's now all old people and children and no one could see that coming" what annoys me is i feel i could see it coming and when i said so it became a symptom to be treated, such is the CBT approach

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
JUst to add such is my importance in the scheme of things, i haven't got a SW or CPN, i've got a support worker who's been made my care manager, they tryed to close my case last year and some anonymous person re referred me