• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Incapacity Benefit and Permitted Work

honeyquince

honeyquince

Founding Member
Hi there,

Interested in hearing anyones experiences of this.

I'm just starting to dip my toe back into the labour market (one hour a day as a midday supervisor / dinner lady) and am doing it as permitted work. I've been told that I can only do this for one year after which they will reduce my incapacity benefit unless I'm being supervised. Supervision means the work can be permitted indefinitely.

Does anyone know the rules on who can act as a supervisor. The person who filled out my form for me says she can't be that person as it means someone supervising on a formal daily basis. Is this the case??

Thankyou!

Honey, xx

S

*Sapphire*

This is from the directgov website;

Supported Permitted Work means work that is supervised by someone who is employed by a public or local authority or a voluntary organisation, and whose job it is to arrange work for disabled people. This could be work done in the community or in a sheltered workshop. It also includes work as part of a hospital treatment programme.
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/DisabledPeople/FinancialSupport/DG_10020667

Maybe contact some at the LEA your school is under and see if they have a disability at work contact there?

Hope that helps :)