• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Incapacity Benefit and p/t working

KP1

KP1

Founding Member
Does any body know
1)How many hours a week voluntary work you can do while on incapacity benefit?
2) How many hours paid work and what amount you can earn and still retain incapacity benefit?
3) With the new benefits coming in if you come off incapacity benefit to go back to work and find you can't cope can you go back on it or would you automatically be reassessed for the new benefits?
Thanks
KP

emski

emski

I don't know Kay Pea, but I too would be interested to know.

Anybody?

D

Dollit

It's not about how many hours you do but how much you earn - it has been around £20 a week for a long time and around £80 a week for a six month period (I think). You can do a modest amount of voluntary work but if you edge into looking like you could work enough to support yourself then this will be called into question.

There is currently a buffer zone so that if you return to work and can't cope and have to claim IB again within (I think) 8 weeks you return to the same level of benefit as before.

The DWP website should tell you more.

M

ManFea

Permitted Work

Ok the rules are

You can work:
-for earnings of up to and including £20.00 a week for an unlimited period, or

-for less than 16 hours a week, on average, with earnings up to and including £92.00 a week for a 52 week period

-for less than 16 hours a week, on average, and earn up to and including £92.00 a week for as long as your illness or disability is considered sufficiently severe that you are treated as meeting the threshold of incapacity without undergoing a medical assessment

you can find this at http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/DisabledPeople/FinancialSupport/IncapacityBenefit/DG_10020667

However i have to say from my own experience you will get hassled from DWP if you do any work. This should change but when i did volunteer work ( I'm an IT Geek) i got my finances investigate and kept getting pulled into interviews with DWP with a lot of questions about "how come you can't work if your doing this volunteer work". And my answer that I was using it as therapy to overcome my AvPB didn't cut it ( I could only do 2 hours a day and now i'm doing nothing). So please be aware if your are looking to do permitted work you have to factor in that your have to face up to arguing with the DWP but i'm a great beliver in that fact you should do something if you can.

All the best.

Bluemoon

Bluemoon

Founding Member
Ok the rules are

You can work:

-for less than 16 hours a week, on average, with earnings up to and including £92.00 a week for a 52 week period

-for less than 16 hours a week, on average, and earn up to and including £92.00 a week for as long as your illness or disability is considered sufficiently severe that you are treated as meeting the threshold of incapacity without undergoing a medical assessment

you can find this at http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/DisabledPeople/FinancialSupport/IncapacityBenefit/DG_10020667

However i have to say from my own experience you will get hassled from DWP if you do any work. This should change but when i did volunteer work ( I'm an IT Geek) i got my finances investigate and kept getting pulled into interviews with DWP with a lot of questions about "how come you can't work if your doing this volunteer work". And my answer that I was using it as therapy to overcome my AvPB didn't cut it ( I could only do 2 hours a day and now i'm doing nothing). So please be aware if your are looking to do permitted work you have to factor in that your have to face up to arguing with the DWP but i'm a great beliver in that fact you should do something if you can.

All the best.
Thanks for posting that information. As someone who's thinking about doing permitted work it's useful to know. I have read one or two articles about this on a law website but unfortunately I don't have the links.

D

DELATEXT

Ok the rules are

You can work:

All the best.
I have had a similar experience I wrote to the Dwp in june 2008 stating I'd like to do voluntary work, I heard nothing from them until 24th of june quizing me about it?
I have n't done any voluntary work since feb this year because of ill health.
I've written them two letters & I am awaiting their response! :mad:

R

Roxy

Founding Member
Hi Delatext, This is all very interesting as I believed we were being encouraged to do meaningful types of voluntary work in order to help ourselves in a therapeutic way.

Unfortunately if DWP are going to use this against us its going to prevent many people, myself included, from doing so in case our benefits get cut or stopped altogether.

I'm due to meet with someone from jobcentre soon to have a benefit calculation in order that I may do some voluntary work for a project I am involved with. I'm seriously considering not making the appointment.

Are other members having similar difficulties?

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
I'm reluctant to try, it's not much of a pat on the back for you for trying that if you succeed they'll hold it against you