• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Incapacity Benefit and Dental/Optician Treatment?

S

snowdog28

I've been on Incapacity Benefit for a couple of years now due to depression and problems with my diabetes resulting from my depression and I'm in desperate need of primarily dental treatment but also new glasses.

I haven't been to a dentist in years due to a fear of dentists since my dentist when I was a kid was a sadistic bar steward and wasn't too generous with the pain killing injections. I also have a syringe phobia (and I've been diabetic since I was 5 years old and have to have (at the moment) 3 injections per day.

I was just wondering if I qualify for free dental treatment and a voucher for new glasses? I know that being diabetic entitles me to free eye tests but I don't have the cash to get dental work done or to buy new glasses.

Thanks in advance for any help :)

iffybob

iffybob

HI

I get Income Support and a Incapcity top up, and I am entitled to free dental treatment on the NHS, and free perscriptions, I dont know about glasses sorry, if you dont know ask the dentists receptionist... they are pritty clued up on these things, the same with glasses ..

If you get Income Support as any part of your benifits I think that is the point of entitlement....

The are leaflets that say what you are entitled to

Try here http://direct.gov.uk/en/index.htm

Hope this helps... boB

L

Lady Summer Isles

I'm on Incapacity Benefit but have to pay for my prescriptions, dental work and glasses - sorry. I buy a pre-payment certificate which makes your prescriptions cheaper if you are on a lot of tablets. As i understand it you only qualify if you are on income support. But def ask you never know.
Take care
Tannith

shaun3210

shaun3210

I didn’t get free dental and spec’s when I was just on Incapacity Benefit, does you diabetes entitle you to free prescriptions? If it does you might be entailed to free treatment but you would need to check.

If you’re not you could apply for a HC2 form under the NHS low income scheme, which cuts the price of NHS dental treatment a lot, last time I had one I only had to pay the first £22.50 towards the cost off a course of NHS dental treatment :)

You just need to fill in a HC1 form more details here:
http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Healthcare/Medicinespharmacyandindustry/Prescriptions/NHSCosts/DH_4049391

honeyquince

honeyquince

Founding Member
I'm afraid that free dental treatment / glasses (I think) is only with means tested benefits.

S

snowdog28

Well that's not good. Guess I'll just have to put it off until I'm able to start working again, could be a while too. :cry:

Thanks for letting me know anyway. :cry:

M

mad as a hatter

I get my glasses for free but i,m on income support but i think it,s topped up by incapacity so u might do go 2 the opticans and ask that,s all u can do

N

notsureanymore

Im on ESA and get dental and prescription,mot sure if tha helps

M

Mariana9

Free dental is not good...

E

Edward Portnoy

I have a problem with my teeth. sometime blood falls from my teeth.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
Davidcaron said:
what r u doing yourself? For this problem
not so long ago people with disabilitys had a right to care in a civilised society it wasn't what r u doing yourself? for this problem

R

reddc

I have had this problem myself about whether I was entitled to help with free eye tests and dental treatment on Incapacity Benefit, I also have an exemption certificate as I have an Underactive Thyroid but this only covers free prescriptions, if you are receiving Income Support then you can claim apparently.

L

lizzy44

Hello. My daughter was on incapacity benefit for 18 years (now on ESA). She's always lived with me and her Dad and always had free prescriptions, dental treatment, etc. Just filled in HC1 form every year and received confirmation 2/3 weeks later. Someone else I know lives on their own, has the same money as my daughter and they also get everything free. Don't understand why you don't qualify for same!

R

reddc

Thanks for your help, I am going to send for a form, I can only try, thanks again.