• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

incapacity assessment

unlucky

unlucky

Founding Member
I've been receiving incapacity benefit for 2 years and never had to go for an assessment - I got a phone at 11.30 am yesterday saying I would have to attend one in the city centre, I'm now a mess!! I don't leave the house without my husband because I have terrible panic attacks and migraines when I even think of it. They told me if I couldn't go then I would have to get a letter from my doctor and a home visit would be arranged. Can anyone tell me what happens at these assessments and do you think it would be better if my husband got a day off work and went with me or should I get a home visit? I didn't sleep a wink last night worrying about this and I've not even got a date yet.

nickh

nickh

Founding Member
emac - you should definitely get in touch straight away with an advocacy service, either via your local Mental Health Trust or the CAB. They will explain things to you and should organise for someone to accompany you. On no account should you attend the interview or see someone in your own home unaccompanied - ideally this should be an advocate who understands the system but otherwise your husband. It would be worth getting an appointment with your GP as well and explaining what is happening.

Don't wait for the Benefits people to get in touch again but get in contact with someone who can give you proper advice now.

A brief description of the kind of tests applied and the points system can be found at.... http://www.covlaw.org.uk/welfare/leaflets/leaflet9.html
but this is no substitute for talking to someone who is expert in these matters (which I am not!).

Nick.

unlucky

unlucky

Founding Member
Thanks Nick, I phoned my GP and I've got a telephone appointment for tomorrow morning. My problem is (as I'm sure is a lot of peoples) that my GP doesn't really seem to understand my problems. I phone her once a month for my medication and thats it - she doesn't even ask me how I am. The last time I seen a phychiatrist was about 3 months ago and every time I've been its been a different one!! He basically told me my problems were all my own doing and told me to go for a massage, get hypnotherapy or go to group therapy - he obviously hadn't even read my notes!!

How do I get in touch with the Mental Health thingy? I can't go to CAB as the manager there was my best friend when I was younger and I don't want her to see the state I'm in!!

Thanks again for the advice (even if I am even more worried now lol)

unlucky

unlucky

Founding Member
Thanks for that link Nick - it was very helpful, being honest on all the questions I score 20 so thats eased me a little. Although how 'had to give up work due to condition' which I did scores 2 points and 'Can't leave house alone' which I can't only scores 1 point I really don't get!!

nickh

nickh

Founding Member
emac - I am not sure about your Mental Health Trust because I think things are organised a bit differently in Scotland. I did a quick Google and came up with the following list of Mental Health Resource Centres in Glasgow - maybe you could give your nearest one a ring....

http://www.nhsggc.org.uk/content/default.asp?page=s761&more=1&loc_type=6

I also found something called the Glasgow Association for Mental Health...

http://www.gamh.org.uk/

and a list of places which offer financial/benefits advice (some of these are not relevant)...

http://www.glasgowhelp.com/listServices.php?category=52

I am sure this is very far from exhaustive but hope it might offer some starting points.

Sorry if I have caused more worry and anxiety but the best thing you can do is get the best help and advice available well in advance; this is much better than worrying about the unknown! Best of luck with it and let us know how you get on.

Nick.

nickh

nickh

Founding Member
Oh and the other thing - sorry! - is that you need to try and get a new psychiatrist. Clearly the one you have is a waste of space as far as you are concerned. Do you know who they work for? (which Trust?)

Nick.

unlucky

unlucky

Founding Member
Thanks very much Nick, you really shouldn't have gone to all that trouble for me - I'm touched:flowers: I'll have a wee look through them and maybe give them a phone or if poss an email!! I hate talking on the phone, I always end up with a headache then come off and realise I've not asked anything I meant to!! Thanks again

I don't know what trust it is - its just a duty psych I think, I was seeing a psychologist who said there was nothing else he could do for me and referred me to psychiatrist. My husband says I've not to go to my next pschiatric appointment because of the state I was in after last time. But I know that then you just go off the radar and get no help at all. In the media its made out that theres all this help available for Mental Health but my experience is that most of the so called proffessionals just don't give a damn.

Last edited:
J

jamesdean

Nicks a lovely person emac1 you seem to get on well with us lot from birmingham

nickh

nickh

Founding Member
:D thank you emac. And I know exactly what you mean about the phone - I have a lot of problems with it too and much prefer email. If you do have to phone my tip is to write down all the stuff you want to say. A sillier thing which someone told me and works a bit for me is to stand up while you are on the phone - apparently there is some psychological mechanism which makes you feel more in control; well I was very sceptical about this but it does actually work a bit for me. However that's probably pure self-deception and general pottiness!!:rolleyes:.

Nick.

nickh

nickh

Founding Member
:redface: and thank you jd! We are lovely in Birmingham. Well OK not everyone but those of us here :).

Nick.

unlucky

unlucky

Founding Member
Yes JD, I do seem to have an affinity with you brummies!! I always stand up when I'm on the phone anyway - it drives the hubby mad!! I pace from room to room and can't sit still!! Don't think it makes me concentrate any more cos I always end up tidying while I go!!

You're both lovely people and I appreciate and value your advice:grouphug:

J

jamesdean

You are welcome my dear you will have to come down for a drink one weekend with hubby

A

anastasia

you should try and get a home visit really.

my friend had an assessment recently. it's just to make sure you're not randomly claiming.

btw - i took the online questionaire and scored 10 yet i work. hmmm, no wonder my dr wanted to sign me off this morning.

unlucky

unlucky

Founding Member
Thanks ana, my hubby keeps telling me not to worry about it cos I'm not making it up, but there are some days when I feel okay that I feel like a fraud, even though next day I might not even be able to get out of bed!! Swings and roundabouts I suppose!!

unlucky

unlucky

Founding Member
You are welcome my dear you will have to come down for a drink one weekend with hubby
Haha, no way - I think you'd be a bad influence on me!! Or maybe the other way round!!:innocent: