• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

In trouble at work...

V

Vegay

I have a serious meeting on Monday due to absences this year and I am already so anxious about it. The final straw was when I tried to harm myself last week and didn't go in on Thursday.
There is a possibility that I could lose my job.
That is really not what I need right now, on top of everything else. 😭😭
I understand that obviously I am hired to do a job and I should be fulfilling that role, but I am actually good at my job. The absences have been sporadic and just single days. I'm so scared.

bpd2020

bpd2020

I think if you are open about your mental health then work will be more understanding. There are now laws to discriminate against mental health. I had a friend who had to have a lot of time off for bpd and her work place were very supportive.

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

Hi,
Do you have a membership with a union they could help with a rep?
Explain you've been ill and how good you are at your job etc.
Good luck

V

Vegay

They actually already know about my mental health. They have been helpful on occasion. They agreed to change my hours in June time. This meeting is kind of like because we had a meeting about absences months ago, but there have been a couple more absences since.
It is a private practice where I work so I do not have an union rep or anything but a colleague is coming in to the meeting with me. I don't know what to do, I've been trying my best.

The letter they sent was very formal. The last part said something about if reasonable adjustments cannot be met then they would have to cancel my contract. :(

How am I supposed to promise that I won't hurt myself or something when I am still very up and down and impulsive.

bpd2020

bpd2020

You could not have gone in after you ended up in hospital. There was nothing you could have done about that. There will be times you are absent due to having bpd. It cannot be helped. I think it is very positive you have a colleague who is going to the meeting to support you. I understand you are worried.

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

It's good you will have a witness, write down what you want to say and have it to read from or to give them.
Try to explain how your health is being treated so your absences will improve if you can.
Hugs

V

Vegay

Thank you for the advice.
My counsellor is going to write a letter and email it to my manager.
I have also requested a letter from my Care Coordinator (doubtful she will provide one though) and I have requested like A&E notes from my GP (again, my surgery isn't very good).
I will definitely make some notes and bullet points.

Losing my job would just push me over the edge.

bpd2020

bpd2020

You have people who can back you up and provide evidence. It will all work in your favour. I really do not think you will loose your job. You are doing amazingly well to be able to work despite all that is going on. You are very strong.

V

Vegay

Already feeling so anxious about Monday.
(And not even just about work now either - my dog has been ill recently and deteriorating. Therefore, I am awaiting blood test results.)

Regarding work, I asked for and have have received letters from multiple mental health people as well as medical records from my GP. I have put them all in a folder along with some BPD info I found online. I am planning to make some notes and bullet points too about my own thoughts etc.

bpd2020

bpd2020

I am sorry to hear your dog is poorly. That must be very worrying for you. I hope the tests come back soon and your dog is okay.

You sound very organised and ready for your meeting. I hope it goes well.