• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

In search of therapists who specialize in treating hikikomori. (Shut-Ins)

A

Alienated

In search of therapists who specialize in treating hikikomori. (Shut-Ins)

Hikikomori, literally "pulling inward, being confined", i.e., "acute social withdrawal") is a Japanese term to refer to the phenomenon of reclusive adolescents or adults who withdraw from social life, often seeking extreme degrees of isolation and confinement. The term hikikomori refers to both the sociological phenomenon in general as well as to people belonging to this societal group. Hikikomori have been described as recluses, loners, or "modern-day hermits."

I have lived in isolation for over 8 years, and have no interest in becoming a part of society. But the side effects of isolation are eating my life away. There is no support anywhere I have gone, and nobody understands the demands of social conformity are impossible for me.

I have spent that time reforming neuropathways in my brain using self taught CBT to replace my alcohol addiction with, positive educational changes.

With Hikikomori becoming a epidemic with up to a million in Japan alone, and spreading worldwide. But yet ignored by modern medical profession, and was just told to go out everyday by my Doctor. And Therapist said there is support out there, I asked where can I fit in ? She just sat there in SILENCE :scared:

She might as well screamed YOUR SCREWED !!

H

Helena1

Staff Member on Leave
So you don't leave where you live at all? That must be hard.
You sound conflicted as you don't want to part of society but you don't want to be so isolated and so part of society? Why are the demands impossible for you?
sorry if i just don't get it.

A

Alienated

Yes there is a major conflict.. I am forced into isolation out of self preservation, and have to learn how to cope with it.

The world is too violent for me, but isolation has serious effects.
I choice the lesser of 2 evils, the problem is the lack of understanding that problem.

A

Alienated

I guess you don't watch the news, race riot's all across my Nation, been at war for 14 years, enemy promisses not to stop till all Americans are dead, and their main target would be ME. I live in the Bible belt and there are armed Police at the chrurches, 200 miles from me a woman got her head cut off at work, mass shootings and police brutality, kids killing kids.. Shall I go on ?

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

Sometimes I do think about America, and it feels quite dangerous. I always assume that you get used to it, and build up some sort of natural defense. But yeah with MH issues all of the that can come crashing down.

H

Helena1

Staff Member on Leave
I guess you don't watch the news, race riot's all across my Nation, been at war for 14 years, enemy promisses not to stop till all Americans are dead, and their main target would be ME. I live in the Bible belt and there are armed Police at the chrurches, 200 miles from me a woman got her head cut off at work, mass shootings and police brutality, kids killing kids.. Shall I go on ?
you haven't said where you come from either before or in this post so no one could have known. oh are you saying you're american? i dont think it is more dangerous in america than the uk. maybe move if you live in a particularly dangerous area.

Gajolene

Gajolene

I can understand your concern with the rioting, it is definately getting crazy down there. I lived in FLA for a year and have many cousins still surviving in the states. I admitt I do worry about there saftey. My cousins in Cleveland see an incredible amount of violence daily. I know living in the bible belt is really dangerous and the violence rediculous just from what I saw living in FLA, it was a culture shock to me seeing that much violence and racism, Why I returned to Canada 14 months later.

A

Alienated

Last year we had a guy with a machette attack a group of guy's just standing in a yard, and copycats are following now. There are shooting all the time, and people just start screaming at others for no reason.

My Land Lady just changed her locks to keep her OWN SON that lives next door, because she doesn't trust him. And his girl friend just screams all the time at their disabled little boy. (Which is going on RIGHT NOW).It's crazy all over the world, but here neighbors are flipping out on each other even.

You never know when someone is just going to go crazy. Kids are knocking out people as a game.. I have had it, I just can't take it anymore. All my family has been dead for years, and NOWHERE to go, nobody to talk to, I want to just die, but that's not a option either. And the apathetic mocking all the time.. I just want it to freaking END.

Gajolene

Gajolene

Have you thought about getting dogs for protection? My one cousin relies on his boxers, rather than owning a gun. They are therapy as well as protection.
Personally I think the dogs are better, but then I'm a Cannuck. How do you do you groceries and bill paying if you can't get out safely?

A

Alienated

I rent the upstairs of a house, land lady lives downstairs. I had to pay a fortune just for 2 cats, she would never allow a dog.. It's actually safe at the house in the country, but no where to go in town. Druggies and homeless have been roughing people up, and breaking into homes that are empty.

And this is just a farm community, no big cities close by. And allot of poverty, and drugs everywhere. I just can't expose myself to it, I'll lose it. I got PTSD now, and only been on meds for 3 weeks.. There isn't squat for professional help, I'm stuck with a Community Clinic, and they said they pushed the limits of what they are allowed with giving me anti-depressants. It's the 2nd cheapest place to live in the USA, I can't move. I can barely go to the store. My life SUCKS.

I go shoping at night when hardly anyone out just stockers, and rent includes all utilities. Just go pay interent bill at a machine

Last edited:
Gajolene

Gajolene

I've never lived in a town where there isn't drugs. I was under attack by several of my ex's friends for years after I left and shut in because of it as well. Like you it's a semi-rural community and it's next near impossible not to keep running into those people. I lost my liscense because of it, sent my kids to the city in their early teens to get them away from it. Slowly I'm able to go out more and more and am running into those people less and less. It's too bad you can't find a place where you can get a dog. My Rotteweiler saved me from many a drunken locals wanting to meet the "new" girl in town.
With PTSD our hypersensitivity always jumps to the worst case scenario's and getting out is really quite terrifying in the early part of recovery (at least that's how it is for me) It can get better though, do you have anyone to buddy system you to the stores for safety?

U

unit5

Alienated,

I'd never heard of hikikomori until I read your post. I've done a bit of reading on it and it seems to have spread far beyond Japan (to South Korea, North America, Europe). I think it has a lot to do with the "downturn" of the world economy, the demands of a highly-technological society in which we feel we have no input or control and what seems to me to be an increased tolerance for violent crime on the part of society at large, even though the crime rate in both Canada and the States has been decreasing for the last twenty years or so.
Do you read the news a lot? I do and I think that's why I feel the same way you do. Bad news sells newspapers and the media play up any bad news story they can get their hands on. Maybe you could try not reading the news for a week or so and just let the world go on its merry way - you don't need to know the gory details, right? ;)

Anyway, I wish you the best and, as someone on this forum recently advised me, don't let the bastards get you down!

A

Alienated

Yeah that's the problem today, where you going to go if you could ? Well fortunaly I knew sciences and machanics, I could booby trap the crap out of this place if I wanted.

Just 100 lb. fishing across the steps, and tied to a metal ladder to fall over on them on the stairs works good for alarm. And my door opens out not in, so can't be kicked in.

But not having a life anymore sucks, I miss camping and nature. But I can't enjoy anything anymore, and I just feel old.

Jaminacaranda

Jaminacaranda

My understanding is that it might take your meds longer than 3 weeks to fully take effect, so I hope it gets better for you. Is there no practical help your Community Clinic could offer you (like someone to go with you to places you need to go to) or something like CBT? I'm sorry you're living in such a bad area. I lived in a rough area for many years and like you, couldn't afford to move anywhere better. It didn't make me reclusive however - although I never went out alone at night or else always got a taxi to places and I never used my mobile in public - those sorts of precautions made me feel safer. I doubt that the actual risk of suffering violence outside your home is as great as you imagine but I can understand the fear of it. I can't fly anywhere - not because I'm afraid of crashing because I know the likelihood of that is very low - but because my agoraphobia makes me anxious and have panic attacks in situations where there is no escape. I'm sure your PTSD is making you more anxious and fearful and you should concentrate on trying to resolve that problem rather than dwelling on everything that's bad in the world and what might happen when you venture out - so perhaps try unit5's suggestion of not watching/reading about the news for a while? I have to do that from time to time because it starts making me feel depressed.