• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

In search of some advice

D

dmnrat

My daughter has had her troubles over a number of years, with depression and anxiety. In recent years this has got worse, to the point where she has been unable to face work. Since Christmas she has reduced and stopped visiting us. Obviosuly this has been over the covid lockdowns and she has a demanding job. So we didnt think much of it. We kept in touch via social media.
The other day however, she was pressed on why she wasn't visiting. She came clean that she had not been at work since the new year and that she had not left her house in months. In fact it turned out her neighbours and landlord feared she had died and the Police had to visit. The Police now visit weekly to ensure she is OK.

We are preparing to to try and help her out of the situation she is in, but we going slowly given her state. She is clearly not capable of looking after herself right now, her house is unsafe and unlivable, she is not capable of working and is off sick, she has cats which she is not capable of looking after, she is under the threat of eviction, she is suicidal and she can not face up to dealing with any of this on her own.

We are unable to take her in, else we would. So we need to help her where she is.

Finding useful resources on the internet seems challenging. So I am asking this community for assistance in identifying services that may help and any advice that may help us, help her get back on her feet.

I believe she may maybe to access PIP, given the severity of her problems, anyone have experience of this?

Are they any charities out there that may assist her in dealing with her situation?

T

TyFence

Churches sometimes give food. Sounds like she needs medication or a hospital. Is this in uk?
and therapy. Does she have health insurance?

GhostOfLenin

GhostOfLenin

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Are you in tue UK since you mentioned PIP? If so there is a number of avenues you can pursue

JessisMe

JessisMe

I’m in the US so can be of limited help in these matters but I just wanted to stop by to welcome you to the forums. I’m sorry to hear that your daughter is struggling and the situation your family is faced with at the moment. I hope that you are able to get some needed help here. xo, j

C

Coolname

My daughter has had her troubles over a number of years, with depression and anxiety. In recent years this has got worse, to the point where she has been unable to face work. Since Christmas she has reduced and stopped visiting us. Obviosuly this has been over the covid lockdowns and she has a demanding job. So we didnt think much of it. We kept in touch via social media.
The other day however, she was pressed on why she wasn't visiting. She came clean that she had not been at work since the new year and that she had not left her house in months. In fact it turned out her neighbours and landlord feared she had died and the Police had to visit. The Police now visit weekly to ensure she is OK.

We are preparing to to try and help her out of the situation she is in, but we going slowly given her state. She is clearly not capable of looking after herself right now, her house is unsafe and unlivable, she is not capable of working and is off sick, she has cats which she is not capable of looking after, she is under the threat of eviction, she is suicidal and she can not face up to dealing with any of this on her own.

We are unable to take her in, else we would. So we need to help her where she is.

Finding useful resources on the internet seems challenging. So I am asking this community for assistance in identifying services that may help and any advice that may help us, help her get back on her feet.

I believe she may maybe to access PIP, given the severity of her problems, anyone have experience of this?

Are they any charities out there that may assist her in dealing with her situation?
Sounds entitled to PIP. My understanding is that most applicants are turned down almost automatically but around 70% are successful on appeal. I understand persistence and playing the game by filling out the application to tick the correct boxes are key.

MIND are a national charity with many semi-independent local outposts offering varying services and advice. My local mind have a good reputation for helping you access all potential help, including filling in the forms correctly to minimize the chance of being rejected for financial help such as PIP.

I would definitely try to get the local mental health trust involved. GPs can help but many trusts also have a self referral option on their websites. Don't be overly worried about negative consequences. There aren't the resources to hospitalise lots of people. Care from your own home is always the preferred approach.

GhostOfLenin

GhostOfLenin

ACCOUNT CLOSED
If your going for pip be prepared to fight for it. My dad was dying of cancer and got told to go back to work. They always denied first applicants so you need tp wait then appeal. And get a medical professional on your side that always helps.

GhostOfLenin

GhostOfLenin

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Remember they turn everyone down. After they turn you down you will appeal. Then it goes from dwp lackies to medical professionals. Then make sure you have have all documentation when you go in front of the panel. After that she will be fine and be left alone for a few years. Ive been in front of the panel for my da and myself so ill help in any way i can if you want

D

dmnrat

Yes the UK.
We are going to get her to a GP, and make sure the GP understands the severity of whats going on. In the meantime, my wife will be visiting her for an hour a day.
I dislike the fight for PIP, having vulnerable people have to fight for something they need seems counter productive.
I will explore the the MIND website.

Thanks.