• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

• Safety Notice: This section on Psychiatric Drugs/Medications enables people to share their personal experiences of using such drugs/medications. Always seek the advice of your doctor, psychiatrist or other qualified health professional before making any changes to your medications or with any questions you may have regarding drugs/medications. In considering coming off psychiatric drugs it is very important that you are aware that most psychiatric drugs can cause withdrawal reactions, sometimes including life-threatening emotional and physical withdrawal problems. In short, it is not only dangerous to start taking psychiatric drugs, it can also be dangerous to stop them. Withdrawal from psychiatric drugs should only be done carefully under experienced clinical supervision.

In need of medication, but I have a complicated living situation

K

Kore

(asking for a friend so these are his words, not mine)
I feel hopeless for my future, I'm 18, dropped out of school, and I still rely on my parents for living costs. They don't believe in professional help, and when I talk to them about it they think I'm "faking" my depression.
My parents used to take me to some kind of therapy but it just stopped since it didn't do anything.
We're not doing good financially too, so I don't know what to do. I have someone who is willing to help me with costs but they can't handle it all, maybe around 100$ a month.
I can't let my parents know so I can't be outside my house. Even if I get medication or something through mail, they would notice and try to stop me.
I don't know what to do in this situation.

H

Helena1

Forum Safety Team
Why can't this person leave the house? I would think it is normal for 18 year olds to pretty much come and go as they please.

K

Kore

Why can't this person leave the house? I would think it is normal for 18 year olds to pretty much come and go as they please.
He rarely leaves the house and usually just stays at home spending time online or with pets. It would be suspicious if he just goes out. Plus if his parents know what he's going out for they're just gonna talk him out of getting help.

H

Helena1

Forum Safety Team
He could start going out for a 30 min or whatever walk each day, then his parents will not know if he is actually going out for a reason or just for a walk.

K

Kore

I've just talked with him about it and it won't work. He kinda lives in the middle of nowhere and walking is gonna be really far to whatever psychiatrist he can find.

O

Ohmygoodness

Most therapists and psychologists and psychiatrists in my area are seeing their clients and patients remotely using a smartphone and a link to a site with secure communication. Most of them are using "doxy.me".

So he should start walking for 30 minutes a day. That way, if he can find an affordable therapist he'll be able to talk on his phone during the call on some lonely country road.

As to the money problem, in my area there are some non-profit therapy places that charge using a sliding scale. A friend used one of those and because he had money problems they only prescribed older meds that are available as generics, so the cost wasn't too bad.

I'm not saying this is ideal, but it is something he could try. Would his parents pay for an online college course? A lot of colleges are putting their courses online now, and if he takes one, he can ask for help via the college's counseling center.