In need of help for a relative

X

xxzxxkxx

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum as I have just found it on Google and thought I'd join you.

I would like to ask you all if you could help me on a problem my sister is having. She's in her mid 20s and has had cerebral palsy since she was a child. Her disability only affected her walking abilities and she has had numerous surgeries to help her at least be able to move with crutches. She hasn't had any mental issues until she turned 18.

One day as my mother was cleaning the house and asked her to help a little, she fell into this mental episode where she couldn't recognise me, she thought my dad was her uncle, she showed a lot of anger and violence towards my mum etc. The episode lasted only a few days before she normalised and couldn't remember much of what had happened. She has been to many doctors since and we've done multiple MRIs. They've found а slight pituitary adenoma anomaly in her brain which the doctors thought to be the reason why she has had the episode. Later on, different doctors concluded this cannot be the reason as many people have pituitary adenoma anomalies which do not cause such conditions. She was then diagnosed with a psychiatric disorder... which to be fair could be anything!

Anyway, she didn't have any mental problems until she graduated university with a lot of help from my mother as she struggled a little academically, but I find that absolutely normal, sadly university can be tough, especially for a disabled person in our current society! Since her graduation, she has experienced slight "mental confusions" for a couple of days once a year, but nothing as major like her first episode. She wouldn't talk as much, wouldn't share her thoughts, she would say she is going to the toilet but she would go somewhere else and when you ask her why she'd say "oh my bad". She would stare straight into the wall without doing anything, just like a drugged person. She was prescribed Aripriprazole to take once a day, which some doctors in the UK have said are completely pointless, others have said she must take it regularly otherwise her condition may worsen.

Last year is when things started to get worse again. She had a huge episode which lasted a week, it starts slowly, where in the first few days she wouldn't talk as much and like I said previously would be pretty closed to herself, she would look at you as if you have done something bad to her, she would have a random outbirst of anger towards anybody in the house. Later on, perhaps towards the third day, she stops having food, she wouldn't get out of bed, she would stare into one point and not do anything, she comes up to you and says she is sorry for killing you, or she would make up some story about men coming up to the house to take her, which is of course not true. The next day, she fell on the floor and was very stiff, started screaming that she was dying so we called an ambulance. She would randomly start crying as if she understands that something is wrong but after a few seconds she would get violent again. In the hospital, she would randomly turn up to me and say with a normal voice - "am I dying tomorrow, at what time?", then she would say people are looking strangely at her etc. It's a horrible experience, she wouldn't let the ambulance staff get her into the van. As the episode goes on, she would become quite tired from not being able to sleep so then she starts to normalise and wouldn't remember what had happened. It is also quite difficult trying to explain things to doctors whilst she is having the episode as she says things like my mum trying to harm her which is absolutely ridiculous and not true and the doctors don't know who to believe. She would answer yes or no to anything without giving it any further thought. Anyway, a year has gone by, and it is August again, and I believe she is starting to have another episode as she has started to look at us quite strangely again and is very quiet, doesn't want to use her phone or her laptop etc. My mother is quite worried.

Have any of you ever experienced anything like this before? The episodes happen once a year (at least for now?!) and last for around a week and she would be confused, violent, speak non-sense etc. Any ideas on possible conditions? I believe she is due to see a psychiatrist soon too, but doctors seem to only want to speak with her, which is understandable, but she says she doesn't remember what had happened during the episode. The NHS Mental team have given us a number to call whenever she is having an episode, but all they do is stay at home and ask her things about why she is doing something which makes things even worse.

midnightphoenix

midnightphoenix

Hi and welcome to the forum, we're happy to have you here :welcome:

Your sister sounds like she desperately needs help, the doctors need to get information from your family as well, particularly if she can't remember the episodes :hug:

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
This sounds very strange for them only to come on once a year and for just a week. It doesn’t sound like a normal MH problem. Although problems can last for as little as week they are usually more frequent, or at least last for a much longer period of time. But if she’s seeing a psychiatrist to get a full evaluation that’s the best thing and hopefully if more tests are needed the psychiatrist will arrange for them .
I thought that the pituitary gland were more for hormones imbalance then MH problems but maybe if she’s getting a surge or drop of hormones it could be affecting her moods.