• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

in need of advice

V

Vicky

Hi, am new to the forum and would really appreciate a little advice, really struggling to try and deal with everything on my own at the moment. I suffer from anxiety disorder and find situations very intense. My brother went through a period of severe depression (resulting in him being admitted to hospital for several months) when we were kids and it's now come back. I have never seen him in such a state before, all he does is stare at the floor or burst into tears. We are very close and have tried numerous times to get him to express what is making him feel this way. Last weekend I really thought we had made some progress, I asked him if he wanted to go for a coffee to chat and he jumped at the chance, totally out of character. He proceeded to tell me he simply didn't wish to live anymore. Awful to hear but luckily it seemed to help him just saying out loud. He followed by saying I need some help don't I, lets get me sorted out, 'it wont be like last time though will it?'. Basically, due to his previous mental health issues he is very dubious of doctors, as last time they were not helpful at all and tried to distance us because they thought it might impinge on his recovery. This was dreadful for both of us as I was the only one who he a) wanted to speak to, and, b) would actually leave his room for. Recently the symptoms of his depression are worsening, he acknowledged this himself, and is all smiles no on the surface. Our cousin has recently been diagnosed as having bipolar, our mother is an alcoholic, and our father is either extremely hard on us or sharing a laugh with us, my aunt believes he also has bipolar, which would make a hell of a lot of sense!

To be honest I am posting this in hope of some advice, could it be possible my brother has bipolar too, or am I struggling so much because my anxiety is getting the better of me?

L

LilMissLost

Hi Vicky :)

Sorry to hear your brother and you are suffering, Bipolar can be genetic, sounds like your family has quite alot of issues anyway as does mine. Now that your brother has agreed for help i think you should take him to a doc asap and assure him it wont be like last time, you can then tell doc about your family history and he may get a better idea of whats going on. Look after yourself aswell as anxiety is horrible at the best of times, take care and hope you get the help you need x

S

schizolanza

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Hi Vicky.Welcome to the forum.I hope that you'll be able to find support here,many of us have.
It does sound like your brother needs to see a Doctor.Has he responded well to medication in the past?
I can understand him not wanting to go into hospital.I was sectioned in 2007.My diagnosis is paranoid schizophrenia and depression.
Maybe it would be helpful if you went with him to his GP so that you can be there for him.He needs to discuss everything with the Doctor.
I know that there are no magic pills,but anti depressants might just help.If you feel that he might have bipolar then bring it up with the GP.You might be right.
I think you did the right thing in posting.Sometimes this forum is a good place to start when you have a problem,even a big one.I hope this helps just a little bit.