In need of a new carer, where do I start!?

S

skatothecore

Not sure this is the right forum thread but my now ex boyfriend has been my carer for the past 4 years and we are currently in the middle of a break up. In this time I need to find a new carer but I don't really know how any of it works. I hardly have any friends who can replace him and I'm gonna struggle like hell on my own (I'm physically disabled as well as the mental health issues). Anyone know where I can start?

Thank you x

N

Nicola398

Do you have a social worker?She can help by getting in carers from an agency however many times a day
you need help with washing, preparing food, even domestic chores I think,they can take you to do a food shop too.This costs so much per hour, usually about £14.50 .This is paid for by personal direct payments or the social fund if your benefits fall below a certain level.If you get a high amount of benefit money ESA and PIP with severe disabledment allowance, then they may assess that you need to pay towards the cost of this.This is the only way I know to get help if family or friends aren't there to help.The alternative is if there is a family member can step in, they can do 35 hours care support for you a week and claim carer's allowance for themselves which is £55 pounds a week and will cost you nothing in principle.My sister is my mum's carer and gets this but my mum also pays her £25 a week for the cost of petrol going up to her twice a day, which is 12 miles there and back.
Yes I would start by getting a social worker and talking through your needs.

S

skatothecore

Thank you, I will look into local social work. I'm going to go to citizens advice and talk everything through with them also. Just hope the transition is smooth as it's already unbearable!

N

Nicola398

Yes the sooner the new carers get started for you the better.I know it is horrendous trying to meet your own care needs when you are both physically and mentally ill and disabled and need help most of the time.All the very best to you I hope you get sorted asap:hug:NicolaX

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Thank you, I will look into local social work. I'm going to go to citizens advice and talk everything through with them also. Just hope the transition is smooth as it's already unbearable!
Sounds like a plan.
Hope that the social workers/CAB can help you get some support in place soon. x