• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

In my opinion

A

abbeyroad

In my opinion:

there just people who have been sent mad by others, they dont want to admit that so they seach for an illness and think they have scitzophenria next there at the docters telling them the worst thing they could possibly say, such as I hear voices, the voices are just other people from there past who have hurt them, but they forgot or dont want to admit it, cause the docter then says yes you have
got scitzohphenria here are these tablets and the pharmacutical companies have made another profit out of a normal but unhappy person
by advertising some made up disease to vulnerable people
next thing they have been poisoned by the drugs and there lives are destroyed

This is what I believe happened to me, but I cant be sure weather others do really have this mental condition. I was diagnosed with it but im sure as hell never going to believe I have got it.
Perhaps there really are people out there who really do have this disorder. But I sure as hell would not take these medications willingly, they have ruined my life because they took away all my feelings, even after a year and a half of not taking them my feelings still have never returned.
I just dont want to see the same thing happens to others.

Last edited:
A

abbeyroad

drugs

a few years back I would not have listened when i went to the docters for anti depressants
I wanted to believe i had a mental illness for some reason
and it was something that could be put right
If i had read on the forums that people had been messed up by the drugs
doupt i would have taken any notice
I just wanted to believe there was an easy answer to my problems
but there was not
and I was wrong
I dont want to see others made the same mistake but inevidably they will cause they are not going to listen
perhaps most people dont have a reaction to drugs like I did and suffer little or no side affects.

G

gmh

i dont think mental illnesses exist its all made up. i feel right now theres something wrong with me but it just feels weird. maybe theyre not made up, im not making sense, im zip it

A

abbeyroad

thanks for reply

In my opinion I would try and work through your problems without seeking medical help, it certainly never helped me.
but obviously only you can decide what your going to do.
hope it gets better for you

G

gmh

i might just listen to there, anyway my main problems trying to find the courage to ask for medical help so yes, dont know what to do but ill do it im sure :) and thanks

D

diddypinks

ACCOUNT CLOSED
schizophrenia exists all right :rolleyes:however i agree with you on medication if you are uncomfortableon your meds ask for a medication review they dont like this and it will take some time but ive heard abilify is very good for not making you so sedated. :D

oneday

oneday

In my opininion

Hi abbeyroad

I agree with you - that people are mostly sent mad by others - perhaps through early childhood abuse or neglect, or the way we're communicated with (or not communicated with), perhaps, or add to this, the effects of poverty, racism and other forms of damaging disadvantage, discrimination and oppression, or sometimes we're devastated through the culmination of a series of overwhelming events in life. 'Going mad' is part of the natural human struggle to make sense of, or perhaps escape or at least express, all this stuff that life has thrown at us.

I agree with you too that many people don't want to admit that how we treat one another drives us mad: how badly our families, our communities, our society have traumatised us. And psychiatry has come up with a pseudo-medical label for the overwhelming confusion, distress, panic, fear etc we feel - 'schizophrenia'. And most people then don't ask what drives us 'schizophrenic', what drives us 'mentally ill' - the medical language doesn't leave us much room to do/ask this – we learn to think of ourselves as just 'mentally ill', that we 'have' 'schizophrenia'. And, as you say, people learn then to forget the damage done to them, learn not to think about it, talk about it. And the drugs further silence us and impede our thinking.

I don't know if you're talking about yourself or people more generally, but do I hope you, and/or people who understand the voices they hear as being of people from their past who have hurt them, find someone who will listen and take them seriously when they say this. But it's unlikely to be a psychiatrist.

The Hearing Voices Network supports a network of self-help groups around the UK that supports non-medical ways to understand and cope with voice hearing and similar experiences – see the Hearing Voices forum on this site, and the Intervoice website. There are therapists and counsellors out there who people can talk to, talk through the hurt and damage with – there are free and low-cost sessions run by charities, or sometimes, in more enlightened services/areas, offered on the NHS, particularly by psychologists – so ask to see a psychologist. Check out the many others out there who agree with you, who understand where you’re coming from – like CASL (The Campaign Against the Schizophrenia Label). Read what people like psychologist John Read have written about psychosis and trauma.

Anyway, really just wanted to say I agreed, and good luck.
:) Oneday

Last edited:
G

gmh

so abbeyroad, or anyone else with similar views you beleive that me and the others that feel the same as me should keep our feelings to ourselves and not tell anybody? Cause right now my voice is telling me if I go tell somebody eithr me or my family will get hurt. Its like a constant battle in my hed, abbeyroad if you suggest not going to the doctors then what other things do you suggest? Im 20 years old and at my wits end now.Started when I was 14 and continued until I was 16. Then apart from very mild occurances I havent had it bad until very recently. The voices tell me to kill myself but I would never ever listen to them (i did when i was younger but it got me nowhere) it's just hard having a constant day to day battle with yourself and really need some advice of people who has been through it before and what telling a doctor might involve. The biggest thing I want help with is if I do tell someone how on earth do I start the conversation? With doctor I mean :S

G

gmh

I think I am posting n the wrong place anyway I dont think I have this but the eharing voices thread is quite dead. just hearing a few peoples experiences would really help me come to terms with things and I can start to think about what to do, i anything.

A

abbeyroad

I wish

Hello gmh

I wish I knew the answer, but if you do go to your doctors, the chances are they will give you some form of medication, such as anti depressants if they believe you to be depressed, or some other pychiatric medication. In my experience they do not help and the anti depressants made me put on 3 stone in weight which I have never lost and it was eight years ago I took them. The anti pychotics have destroyed me completely, see my other post: depixol took away my feelings. If you keep going to visit your doctors with these problems the more chance they will refer you to someone else such as a therapist, this is what they did to me, and if you keep having problems and they get out of control they may suggest you go into a mental hospital, the more times you go in one of these places the more they believe you to have a problem. I had been in the mental hospital about five times and they eventually diagosed me with Schitzophrenia and gave me the poison drugs.
It may be different where you come from and they may be able to offer you better help, I dont really know, Im just telling you what happened to me. I dont want you to feel that nobody can help you.

The best help you can get is to see a therapist who is understanding and can help you but I would not ever take medication if I could go back in time, they really can have a devastating effect on you.

I wish I had the answer for you, I know how difficult it is , because I have been through some bad times and felt I really needed help. The best thing you can do is work out what is making you unhappy and take steps to change your life and make it how you want it to be. Make friends with people who care about you and drop any friends that dont.
I dont really know what is making you unhappy because I dont know your problems that well, but I really hope that it is something that can be changed and put right. Keep talking to people. I do hope that you feel better soon, often these bad feelings do subside.

M

maudikie

abbey road.

Interesting theory, but I don't agree. Have you a professional to talk to and tell them how you feel. Perhaps a Social worker m ight help to get your thinking sorted out.. Does your G.P. have talking therapy? That might be a first step.:)