• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

In Denial?

L

lastresorts

Is anyone else in denial about their diagnosis?

I have suffered from anxiety and depression for years, and I was only diagnosed with bP2 last year.

I had an appointment with a MH nurse to get some advice as I was still struggling, and when we were there I made a comment about feeling amazing etc and needing that feeling back. At the end of the appointment she suggested that it may be cyclothymia and I could choose two routes, either have my GP try and manage it, or be referred to a psychiatrist.

Decided on the psychiatrist because she said he was likely to know more about the condition, and had an appointment about 2 months later. Hours later, and about 3 million questions they said that they diagnosied BP2, and that they would like to start me on medication.

Since then I have gone from 250mg of depakote to 750mg daily. I also take 150mg of sertraline, but, I just wonder if all of this is a bit of a mistake and there is nothing wrong with me. I know I am highly strung and have a tendancy towards agrophobia. Very rarely go out the house for anything other than work. But, what if this is all wrong and I am doing all this for nothing?

I struggle to sleep, and the psychiatrist has given me melatonin to try and help. But, I am having lady bleeding every day, from spotting to niagra falls and I have put a stone on since I went on the tablets.

I have asked my GP if he thinks my diagnosis could be wrong and could I stop the tablets and he said no and laughed at me ( thats no bad thing, we have that kind of relationship).

Its just shit. I feel rubbish, I can't cope with working full time, but I can't afford to give up work. I have tried to get PIP so I can drop my hours, and I keep failing. I just want to give up :(

L

lastresorts

I keep wanting off the tablets, as they are shit.
They make me tired, they make me late for work, they make me even fatter than I already am ( I Am already a garbage monster out of fraggle rock)
As for the sertraline. I only take those as I Am scared of being sectioned. I cannot imagine anything worse than being sectioned and locked away from my family and dog. I don't think I would ever get out as it would make me 100% worse.

H

Helena1

Staff Member on Leave
i think you can ask for a second opinion from a different psychiatrist.

L

lastresorts

Do you think it will make any difference?
I also asked the psychotherapist lady I go and see.
LOL, I think if I ask enough people someone will agree.
My mum/husband/sister just tell me to stfu and keep taking them.

H

Helena1

Staff Member on Leave
How much reading on BP2 have you done?

L

lastresorts

Not much, but, the psych lady said she is impressed with my grasp on my condition. I don't really know if htats good or bad

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Bipolar Forum 20