• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

In denial

U

Ultraman

Hi all, this is my first ever forum/blog I am writing on, having looked through some of it I thought I would sign up and see if anybody's experiences can help me to help my wife of 20years who over the past 4-5 years has taken a downhill slow roll, last year she was was sectioned and diagnosed psychotic, as you may imagine this came as a massive blow as I had never dealt with anything like this and the things she said were out of this world for me at least, being accused of alsorts of sexual acts from rape to pimping her out, even to the degree of the police being called for rape. She hates all my family and some of her own too, accuses everybody of being against her, hates the professionals trying to help her as she believes 100% that's she is right and all are conspiring against her, she refuses to accept any medication and has not taken a single tablet, the mental health team pleaded with her to take medication but she is adamant not to take anything as she refuses to believe she has a problem, cut a very long story short she gets messages on Facebook from someone telling her how bad I am, (she doesn't have Facebook)!! Anybody experienced this sort of psychosis??

Davey Blueeyes

Davey Blueeyes

This is a very difficult situation for you and not uncommon. There are many stories about psychosis on here that are similar and they often have a sexual element.

The thing that you need to bear in mind that it's great that you are supporting your wife, kudos to you for that. If she is sectioned then treatment will normally not be optional but if she is refusing treatment and making your life a misery then you need to consider your own mental health and how much you can take.

People with mental health issues still have a responsibility for their own behaviour.

U

Ultraman

Davey Blueeyes, many many thanks for your reply, it's very hard but I am trying to keep it together to save my house and son from a broken family, he is at present doing his GCSE's so don't want any side crap for him although he knows quite a bit, she's very clever and doesn't do anything in front of him.

C

Christobel

Do you think it could be anything to do with what is sometimes called 'menopausal madness'. I don't know how old your wife is, and forgive me if I'm talking out of the top of my head, but my own psychosis started at around the change of life. Just a thought.

U

Ultraman

Do you think it could be anything to do with what is sometimes called 'menopausal madness'. I don't know how old your wife is, and forgive me if I'm talking out of the top of my head, but my own psychosis started at around the change of life. Just a thought.
Christobel thanks for your comment, my wife is 45, but the things she comes out with are really strange, could this be linked to the menopause! For example she said to me a few weeks ago that she has had enough and wants to be part of my gang and begged me to let her sign the paperwork to join my gang! Nothing I say or do helps her, she hates me and as far as medical help goes she will never ever admit she needs medical help, she so strong willed it's frightening!

blueflames

blueflames

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Can I ask...how long has she been psychotic this time?? She seems like she has managed without meds quite in the past?? Do you think she could just naturally improve again.

I would say that it definitely sounds like mild psychosis with some usual paranoia chucked in. It can be a strain on all involved so respect for standing by your wife and wanting to do your best for her. You're a good man.

Being sectioned and being non-complaint is not a good combination and will probably cause her a fair amount of trauma tbh. I suppose it depends whether you feel there is no other way?? All they will do is inject her with anti-psychotic drugs, and there is no guarantee they'll work. I do understand why you think this is the answer for you both and perhaps you are right xx

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Welcome to the forum, Ultraman.
I don't feel like I can personally give you much advice other than to search for support groups in your area and to also let your own GP know what's going on because they may be able to point you in the right direction for help if that's what you choose.
I hope that you find chatting to people on this forum helpful and i'm pleased to see you've already got some very good responses.

U

Ultraman

Sorry not replied to all u great people who replied, thanks for your kind comments and prays, I will march forward as long as I can trying to keep it together. ������