• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

In a constant cycle of panic...

K

KayAR

Hi, I joined this forum today because I needed to find help and advice. I also thought that by sharing my situation with like minded people could help me, as well as others who suffer with a severe panic disorder.

Today I am having a very bad day. Before I go into more detail I will tell you a bit about myself. I am a 36 year old single mother and a college lecturer. I suffer with depression and severe panic attacks. I have suffered with panic attacks since I was 18, when I first went through one I was terrified of leaving my house. At this point I was still living with my parents. It got so bad that I even stopped leaving my bedroom. I couldn’t tell you how I overcame my fear of leaving my house, but I did. The panic attacks however have never gone away. I have learned to live with them, but while trying to cope with them it lead me to alcoholism. I would drink to curb the fear and then when coming off of alcohol I would feel even worse the attacks would be worse than ever, I’d then drink again to stop my fear. This has lead to a very vicious cycle as you can imagine.
Today I am in a constant state of panic. I will have a few moments where I start to feel okay after my breathing exercises, but then a few minutes later, back comes the fear, back comes the panic. I am at my weakest and am trying my hardest not today fall apart in front of my children. I am hoping that just talking about how I’m feeling with people who understand my situation will help even just a little bit. I hope everyone is well and thank you for taking the time to read.

A

AlrightOkay

Welcome. There are lots of understanding people here

Hope it can make your day easier to manage. I'm sorry your having such a terrible time.

L

LostSpirit

Welcome x

I too know how that's feels, it will help talking to like minded people.

Xx

C

CabbageMama

Hi KayAR. How old are your children? Mine are 12 and 13. Were you drinking last night? It is quite common to have the panicky anxious feelings in the midst of the cycle of drinking you have described. I’m a single Mum too - difficult without someone to lean on, I know. I’m around if you want to talk some more It might help calm you a little. X