• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Impulsive behavior

M

Marcbee

So I wasted $200 today and like any gambler I feel shit afterwards I got so impulsive towards it.. started with 20 and then 50 and so on.. I blame half of it on bordem I'm isolated and there was nothing else that stimulated my attention at the time but I suppose making this thread is acknowledging my failure.. does anyone else experience impulsive, detrimental behaviour like this?? I guess it goes towards my bpd.. I always have an impulse towards things and it's rarely a positive influence.

wraziel

wraziel

Yes. I with pleasent things. I can lost control, I prefer isolate me from it.

Z

ZoeZoe

I understand where you're coming from Marcbee. I have a lot of important outgoings at the moment but I still keep having sudden spending binges on clothes I don't need and food that isn't good for me. I've already done a couple of hundred this month. It's really tough to control. Afterwards you feel bad but at the time you feel like you really need to do it to feel a buzz or excited about something. You're not alone, and it is classic BPD behaviour, so don't be too hard on yourself. Sometimes I manage to stop myself, but I have to physically close the web page of clothes or drive away from the food store. It's very hard to say no though when that thing in that moment is going to make you feel temporarily good. Try talking to yourself like a strict parent and just say no, stop the action, and don't even let yourself think about it, just stop. It's hard to do, but it sometimes works for me.

N

Nukelavee

I find it's very connected to stress and depression, ie, the deeper those moods, the more likely I'll try to buy my way out of it. Ironically, it ends up making things worse, and it's kinda pointless.

I've gotten much better about impulse spending, primarily using the method ZoeZoe mentions.

W

WhySoSerious

I tend to over-spend when unhappy or feeling a tad too happy so its a fine balance for me. The only way I have been able to combat this is to actively stop, ask myself if I NEED the item and then remind myself how shit I will feel later. I then have to take myself away from the store/site as quickly as I can and reflect on it later. There are no real magic bullets for stopping impulsive spending etc, its all down to willpower which is damn hard to muster!

Fairy Lucretia

Fairy Lucretia

recently impulsive spending has overtaken compulsive bingeing for me
i really feel for you
lots of love and hugs please feel better soon x Lu x

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
Why are you isolated? Is there any way you can change that so that you have a better quality of life?