• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Impulse buying

miana

miana

Does anyone else do this and worry about the consequence after.. usually when its too late!

Im so bad for it.. I've just got myself sorted and moved into a new house and ive gone and spent Januarys rent again! Why do i do it..

I've lost 3 houses because of this.. not paying rent and thinking 'it'll be ok ill sort it next month'

What have a bought?? A bloody Puppy! As if i dont have enough going on in my life without the need of another animal! I did this couple weeks ago but shes too young to come to me. Im just sat here getting her food and bed sorted ready for her coming Thursday and thinking just how stupid i can be at times! Wondered if i was the only one!?

I see an advert or something in a shop and i need it.. i dont think about how it will affect me all i know is i need that right now.. am i crazy? I must be! Im 24 years old and i have to get my dad to hold some of my money every week to pay bills or i wont pay it.. i never used to be this bad.. ive lived alone since i was 16 so not like i dont know how to run a house!

Dont get me wrong the pup will be loved and looked after for the rest of its life,just like my other animals. but i know ive done this as another way to keep me company.. not much use having company with no house is it!! :mad: :rolleyes:

S

starfish

miana

what animals do you have? theres something good about caring for animals, they give back so much. maybe you could get help for your spending, it could be anxiety making you do this. have you tried councelling?:grouphug:

miana

miana

Dont have many now to be fair, We have an old Boxer he's 9 now and i have 2 horses :) I do love my animals and they really do calm me down.

Just wish i could save and wait for the things i want rather than not thinking..

Yeah im going to be starting therapy again soon. Im at the Docs on Thursday so see what he says :rolleyes:

A

Ainsworth

i love spending money :love:

OH banned me from internet shopping for awhile but im back doing that again now :LOL:

i see it and want it then dont use it :oops:

miana

miana

i love spending money :love:

OH banned me from internet shopping for awhile but im back doing that again now :LOL:

I see it and want it then dont use it :oops:
Exactly.. thats the thing i dont even use half the stuff i get! :redface:

Oh the Internet is a dangerous thing.. all you do is type a few numbers in and thats it done.. bought! No need to even leave the house haha :rolleyes:

dib4uk

dib4uk

I have small problems with over spending, well, last year when i was really manic i used up all of my overdraft got an extension of it to pay off other bills. Now im trying to pay it back slowly as i'm no longer working.

Be carefull of your spending and if you buy things that you dont want maybe have a friend/partner "watch" over you.

Getting into debt because of impulsive buying is a bad thing but something that i believe we all share/try to cope with.

Interent shopping can be really really bad, :mad: I bought something on the spur of the moment that dont work properly but cause i bought it online i cant return the goods- the seller hasnt replied to any of my emails... So people just becare of where you do your shopping.

J

jamesdean

Miana you willproberly findyourself in good company here atmhf because it seems to be a trait of mh.
My bf threw about £10,000 pounds worth of designer jeans in the bin last year Hes been a shopalohlic for certainly all the time that I've known him if not all hislife actually.

I had onehuge burst a while back n before i had realised my debts were at around £11,000+ n rising I have really had to cut back though I still have little binges no where near has bad has before one day I tried to pay for something on one of my cards n I thought i had been cloned I had actually forgot the £1000 I had spent the day before:mad:ness.

I have to stop myself frombooking trips on the internet though usually my bf gets me out of those deals with a sorry letter to the company before the full payments are due I have lost £100's in deposits.

I still have 7 cards on going though I am paying it each month though I have come out of all my interset free periodsthe interset is enourmous,though I spent it therfore I will pay it back I'm unable to get further credit which suits me I've just checked my credit report because I was worried a bout someoneelse getting crediti n my name but it isnt so I'm just not allowed anymore only high interset accounts.

my brother only pays about a £1 a week on his credit card though its froxen n I stilllike littleshopping trips so I'm not going to a debt advice agency its better that I use my allowance because I'm sure someone else would soon take it if I had an alloownace myonly fear is when I'm feeling suicidal it frigtens me that the debt would be left to my parents n they only have limited funds I would hate for them to end up with the bill if I died,I guess itkinda keeeps me a live. regards JD

miana

miana

Its good to know people can relate to it. I am so glad i found this forum :)

Think my debt is probably nearing 20 grand now. Which isnt huge compared to some but im only 24, so its alot for me. Plus i cant get credit, my credit rating is so bad now id never get anything again. Which is good i suppose but wish id never messed it up like that.

I have got an overdraft but i live in it, im never in credit with it. I give money every week to my dad so he can pay my most improtant bills so i know ill never not have gas/elec etc i never used to need to do that, ive always been a compulsive shopper but i could pay my bills and that. Its got worse over the years.

Ah well least i can admit it now though and say yeah i mess up sometimes but im trying to get help! Took a long time for that, i used to get so defensive about it when people question my spending :rolleyes:

J

jamesdean

i AM PLEASED THAT YOU HAVE ADMITTED IT REMEMBER ITS NO ONE S BUSINESS HOW YOU SPENDYOUR MONEY ITS YOUR MONEY
i'M SAT HERE COVERED IN MARK JACOBS X

Jo1760

Jo1760

Hi Miana & everyone.

I have had very similar impulses regarding money, not a resent thing though, I have had the impulses for as long as I can remember. It was almost like money burned a hole in my pocket.

Even when i was very young although i guess i first noticed it at 15 / 16, I remember wanting something not in a spoilt way but a real urge or impulse that i had to have that particular thing and what little money i had back then would disappear instantly. It only got worse as i got older. I would buy things that at the time i'd think 'that would be great' but then never use it. I can't tell you the number of books i have that are unread and DVD unwatched. I think one of the worst things was buying electronic things, games and music. It just seems so silly. At a young age i got into a reasonable amount of debt because i just couldn't stop the impulsive buying.

I did at one point have a notion that my friends would like me if i had a particular thing, but looking back truthfully I am sure they didn;t even notice. I wasn't showing off i guess i was trying to keep up.

Impulses are a real issue for me and something i struggle hugely with even now, i have very little money but ideas pop into my head which i am trying my best to ignore.

Q

quality factor

Hi Miana & everyone.

I have had very similar impulses regarding money, not a resent thing though, I have had the impulses for as long as I can remember. It was almost like money burned a hole in my pocket.

Even when i was very young although i guess i first noticed it at 15 / 16, I remember wanting something not in a spoilt way but a real urge or impulse that i had to have that particular thing and what little money i had back then would disappear instantly. It only got worse as i got older. I would buy things that at the time i'd think 'that would be great' but then never use it. I can't tell you the number of books i have that are unread and DVD unwatched. I think one of the worst things was buying electronic things, games and music. It just seems so silly. At a young age i got into a reasonable amount of debt because i just couldn't stop the impulsive buying.

I did at one point have a notion that my friends would like me if i had a particular thing, but looking back truthfully I am sure they didn;t even notice. I wasn't showing off i guess i was trying to keep up.

Impulses are a real issue for me and something i struggle hugely with even now, i have very little money but ideas pop into my head which i am trying my best to ignore.
This could be me too!

I have loads of unread books and I have a passion for cd's and gadgets.
I am in the middle of a "strong urge to spend attack", I have been fighting it since before Christmas, it's a nightmare. Realistically there's nothing that I really need, but I spend ages trawling through the net, in case I spot something. Of course the joke is that I can't afford it.
M cpn insists that I do it to make myself 'feel better', but I don't, I spend regardless of my frame of mind. I also find it difficult to keep to a budget.

qf.

Spaceman

Spaceman

I am terrible sometimes. I tend to go on spending sprees every 3 months, and my cpn says that it is because I am bored or to make me happy. In fact when i spend i am on my highs so i am already happy. I honestly don't know why i do it, my son has the same problem and I have to keep him in check as well as myself. Blind leading the blind, you might say!

I am steadily dipping into one of my lows so the spending has stopped, i tend to get paranoid in these lows that i will lose my house and car and be bankrupt and in fact I owe very little to anyone, but i am still paranoid about it. I sometimes don't know if i am coming or going.:scared::confused: