• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

We are an actively moderated forum. We work hard to keep the forum safe.

To access many more features and forums please register now

Improving Memory without hearing voices

C

comeondude

Hi, Never been here before - hope to get some good answers :clap:

Anyone every tried any memory improvement solutions?
Like PC software or courses?

My internal conflict is: I got potential of hearing voices (don't hear them lately, but...) and I am afraid using this applications / courses will comeback the voices :scared:

In work I've got lots of duties, and almost everyday I am getting a lot of tasks - some are on email which is cool, but sometime my boss is coming and giving me a task, and while I am working not always I can write, or I just too concentrated in the correct task, so I forget the new one.

I wish to get better memory and get organized and more effective in work. What will get better, I've heard about a software for brain exercise by "CogniFit" company, and also a few courses.

The online software only got Demo version so I can't be sure if it is really effective. also how can I be sure it is approved by physicians and it is safe?
:innocent:

Last edited by a moderator:
C

comeondude

edit?!?!

Because of you I'm hearing voices!!!!! :mad:

A

Apotheosis

I use certain methods to aid memory & focus concentration. One of the main things I do is to write stuff down & keep a diary. Usually last thing at night I write a list of things I need to do the following day & prioritise. That way I can simply refer to a bit of paper & structure the day & organise things around it. It works for me.

Another memory technique I use is association. I associate stuff with as much other stuff as I can in my mind. I have nick names for people & rhyme words. If I have a bit of trouble with remembering something I associate it with something I can remember more easily - & so by thinking about the thing I can remember - I can then remember the other things. As an example - I read a book a while ago which mentions The UCLA (University of California Los Angeles), my brother often wears a sweatshirt with UCLA on the front. My mums partner has been in hospital with an Ulcer on his leg, he is on the mend. I kept forgetting the word "Ulcer" & when I was chatting to people couldn't remember what the word was for his leg condition. When I associated the world Ulcer with UCLA - when I can't remember the word "Ulcer" then I think of UCLA & the word comes to me. That probably sounds convoluted; & it is but one example - but it works for me. I often name people after animals & associate their name with the animals. I know people who I have associated with, among others - horse, mouse, rat, sea otter, & many others. :LOL: They laugh when I tell them.

C

comeondude

I use certain methods to aid memory & focus concentration. One of the main things I do is to write stuff down & keep a diary. Usually last thing at night I write a list of things I need to do the following day & prioritise. That way I can simply refer to a bit of paper & structure the day & organise things around it. It works for me.

Another memory technique I use is association. I associate stuff with as much other stuff as I can in my mind. I have nick names for people & rhyme words. If I have a bit of trouble with remembering something I associate it with something I can remember more easily - & so by thinking about the thing I can remember - I can then remember the other things. As an example - I read a book a while ago which mentions The UCLA (University of California Los Angeles), my brother often wears a sweatshirt with UCLA on the front. My mums partner has been in hospital with an Ulcer on his leg, he is on the mend. I kept forgetting the word "Ulcer" & when I was chatting to people couldn't remember what the word was for his leg condition. When I associated the world Ulcer with UCLA - when I can't remember the word "Ulcer" then I think of UCLA & the word comes to me. That probably sounds convoluted; & it is but one example - but it works for me. I often name people after animals & associate their name with the animals. I know people who I have associated with, among others - horse, mouse, rat, sea otter, & many others. :LOL: They laugh when I tell them.
LOL :LOL:

A

Apotheosis

LOL :LOL: so what do you say about the brain memory improvement software on that website?
You're serious about exercising and keeping your body in top shape. You owe it to yourself to keep your brain healthy and vital as well. MindFit brain training software has been scientifically designed for the mature population, as well as for people of all ages, to help strengthen brain function and slow cognitive loss. Our software uses individually designed fun exercises that will help improve your short-term memory, reaction times, memory recall, eye-hand coordination and much more!
From a quick look at the site - I would say its a way of the company earning easy money. There are many computer/video games which will do exactly the same thing they are talking about; & are a lot more fun! There are many ways of improving & exercising the Brain. I enjoy chess very much - it's a very good way of stimulating the mind; then there are a lot of other "games" - crosswords, scrabble, Suduko, & many more. I find reading certain books helps, especially where I am leaning new ideas & concepts &/or exercising the imagination. Certain music especially classical can be very stimulating to the mind. Doing a college course or leaning a new skill - like a musical instrument or another language, or leaning to use a computer more proficiently. A good diet can help too, especially sea food, oily fish & shell fish. Meditation practices & certain martial arts can also train & focus the mind. There are books available on exercises to train memory function. I'm sure that you could find a lot of of stuff on-line for free if you looked. That's my opinion on it - if you want to train the mind then there are many ways of doing so & it is as much what you are doing in your day to day life as to how much progress you can make. I watch little TV - usually nature programs, some current affairs & some comedy. If you live on diet of McDonalds, veg out in front of the TV all day watching mindless programs & don't partake in anything stimulating - then a piece of "mind" software on the internet will make little difference; but I suppose it all helps. I don't know your age or circumstances. If you feel the site would help & you can afford it then give it a go if you want; it's up to you. Personally I wouldn't waste my money on something I can do myself.

companion

companion

Founding Member
Hello,

In my opinion, I think that a lot of the bigger internet memory improvement tools are just a money making opportunity. However, the nintendo DS brain training and memory training games have proven to be effective in improving the memory and concentration.

I would like to add though that my understanding is that playing games such as Chess where you need to concentrate and develop strategies are more effective. Also, there is no need to mess with technology, or pay the prices of such games or internet courses.

I hope this helps and supports the other replies you have received.

Regards,

Companion

C

comeondude

thanks, but I ain't got Nintendo - Only PC.. :redface:

connect

connect

Admin
You can actually buy a Nintendo DS and a memory-improving game for the same price as that PC programme you have linked to. That way, you could also play other games on it, and you can carry it around with you :)

C

comeondude

You can actually buy a Nintendo DS and a memory-improving game for the same price as that PC programme you have linked to. That way, you could also play other games on it, and you can carry it around with you :)
Nintendo DS got extra-small monitor, My PC got big LCD screen by NEC :D

Nintendo Wii + the game will cost me I guess around 500-600 bucks, while the PC software only 140$.

What's wrong with the PC software? Can I run those games for Nintendo over my PC?

connect

connect

Admin
Each to their own :)! Personally, I found the demo games on the website you mentioned not particularly fun to play, but if you enjoy them, go ahead :D

C

comeondude

Each to their own :)! Personally, I found the demo games on the website you mentioned not particularly fun to play, but if you enjoy them, go ahead :D

Thanks for the comments but I am asking to get comments for PC software and not Nintendo (because i own PC, duh!), and I think because you removed the clickable link - people are lazy to copy-past, and isn't helping me :(

So please guys check the e-mindfitness.com brain memory improvement software and help me, I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW if I should buy it - or you recommend me other PC software (Not Nintendo!! :redface:)

And please stop edit my messages and the other Super Moderator (Apotheosis) messages with the link, It should be clickable so I would get helpful comments!! :grouphug:

A

Apotheosis

I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW if I should buy it -
IMHO - No, It's rubbish - Don't buy it - Get this instead Mass Effect - more fun, cheaper, more stimulating; play on Hard Difficulty level.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2gZK15KcA2k&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2gZK15KcA2k&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

C

comeondude

IMHO - No, It's rubbish - Don't buy it - Get this instead Mass Effect - more fun, cheaper, more stimulating; play on Hard Difficulty level.
I see XBOX. they got also PC version? can you give me a link to check more about it?