• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Improving access to psychological therapies (IAPT) programme

F

flyingbluebird

IAPT rubbish for personality disorders though ive heard its recommended for those with depression, anxiety etc

maxitab

maxitab

IAPT was never intended for use by people with personality disorders.......it is as you say a service for people with mild to moderate depression or anxiety.
Unfortunately as it is mainly GP's who do the referring and as most GP's don't know a PD from the side of a bus, everyone is being referred to IAPT, then having to be told the service is not appropriate for them...........

holymoly

holymoly

IAPT was never intended for use by people with personality disorders.......it is as you say a service for people with mild to moderate depression or anxiety.
Unfortunately as it is mainly GP's who do the referring and as most GP's don't know a PD from the side of a bus, everyone is being referred to IAPT, then having to be told the service is not appropriate for them...........
depends on the personality disorder... lots of people with axis II problems also have an array of axis I problems (eg moderate depression and anxiety.)

i found actually that my GP took my PD claims seriously but i failed the secondary care assessment and got sent to iapt. i think because in my area you have to fail step 2 and 3 in order to get onto the step 4 waiting list... but luckily for me, i found IAPT so stressful that my mild dysthymia and vague suicidal ideation became major depression and repeated suicide attempts, which meant i got bumped up the list :dance:

A

Ainsworth

i was sent for an assessment for IAPT, it was going well until i mentioned the word 'borderline' i was bumped out the roon within 2 minutes.

they wont touch anyone one with PD because they class it as a severe disorder. as Maxi states it is used for mild to mod depression/anxiety.

holymoly

holymoly

i was sent for an assessment for IAPT, it was going well until i mentioned the word 'borderline' i was bumped out the roon within 2 minutes.

they wont touch anyone one with PD because they class it as a severe disorder. as Maxi states it is used for mild to mod depression/anxiety.
maybe thats just your area, here they are happy to treat PD (cluster C's at least). anyone who presents with social phob/GAD/depression they'll give the axis I a go then step you up when you fail

my brother and i have both been through this.

A

Ainsworth

we all know they will do axis 1 and what they are but they have to be mild to mod for them to be touch by the IAPT to begin with.

as for them stepping you up when you fail, they dont, they refer you back to your psych who or ever sent you to them and then they decide where you go (if they send you anywhere) it took a year for me to get the 'step up' its not automatic

holymoly

holymoly

we all know they will do axis 1 and what they are but they have to be mild to mod for them to be touch by the IAPT to begin with.
yes... i just said that.
the point is they are happy to touch PD providing they arent treating it and again it depends on which PD you have. eg NICE says avoidant is treated the same as generalised social phob, borderline however has its own special rulebook

as for them stepping you up when you fail, they dont, they refer you back to your psych who or ever sent you to them and then they decide where you go (if they send you anywhere) it took a year for me to get the 'step up' its not automatic
stepping up within primary is automatic, secondary obviously requires them to recommend referral seeing as theyre not able to actually refer

secondary here will only consider you if you fail your axis I treatment and even then, if they want they can just make you do IAPT again till you get worse enough to be worthy of their help
but yeah, step 4 is a year long wait here too. but reduced if you self harm...i only had to wait 5 months & got crisis help in between. fun times!

Last edited:
G

glitterkitty

is IAPT only available to people who been precribed meds or can anyone be referred to them?

I have been known to suffer from anxiety and mild depression, my gp has given me medication for this but i can't bring myself to continue with them because of the side effects, their awful.

I actually feel i would do better if i had someone to talk to, do you think its realistic if i asked my gp to refer me to an IAPT service even though i'm not on any medication anymore? thanks

B

black and white cat

I have a diagnosis of bipolar disorder and have been refused three times! One referral from my CPN and two from my GP who is rather pissed off. So it would seem they reject Axis 1 aswell.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
In my area it consists of been referred to a mind counciller, the local mind uses councilling students doing their training with little experience

maxitab

maxitab

There are IAPT services across the country now and they most certainly do not use Mind counsellors......
They are graduates who have to have a formal CBT (IAPT pathway) qualification. I don't know who is sending you to Mind, but IAPT only use qualified people who are nothing to do with Mind.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
In my area the improving acess to psychological therapies is brent mind, i think it says that on they're web site as well

maxitab

maxitab

The site is Brent IAPT, it is a joint venture by Mind and Central and North West London Foundation Trust. It is not a Mind site and the staff are not counsellors in training but fully qualified.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
i just checked though i can't post a link go to brent mind then click on services IAPT psychological therapys is top left